Skip to content

Kensai Mage Questions

I am about to start the EE and I read about the power of the kensai mage. I want to make the best possible character and import him to BG2 when it will be available. My question is, to be the best in endgame is it better to dual cast at level 13 in BG2 or 7 in BG1?

Also, can anyone tell me or point to a fully featured build (with spell, equipment and where to find it) of the "perfect" kensai/mage build?

Thanks, in advance!

Comments

• secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    Highest power potential = dual at 13 in BG2. More hitpoints, higher attacks/round, more uses of Kai, higher THAC0.

Down side is more time spent as a gimped Mage while you recover levels.

In regards to your second question:
    Honestly, if you've never played BG before, none of it is going to make much sense until you've gotten your feet wet and tried playing a warrior and a spellcaster, so you can understand how they play in this game.

In fact, I would recommend just playing a straight warrior class (take your pick) and straight mage for a while before trying the dual class thing if you haven't played BG before. There are a lot of intricacies to the gameplay / tactics that take a while to get used to.
    Dexter
  • parinho7parinho7 Member Posts: 11
    I've played BG before the enhanced edition but never finished the story, basically due to resolution issues and not been eager to apply all the mods. I also play DnD 3.5 edition so I have an idea of what's going on. But due to limited time I don't think I can do more than one playthrough so I want a guide to be able to pick the stuff I want and not miss anything.

I have decided that I'll play like a kensai through BG1 and then go to level 9 at the Black Pits and pick Mage(1) at level 10. And then import this character to BG2.

So, if anyone could suggest items, proficiencies and spells I would appreciate it! Thanks again in advance!
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    I think there are some daggers in BG2 that give bonus spell slots so having your Kensi Dualwield daggers might be a good idea.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2013
    Frosty said:

I think there are some daggers in BG2 that give bonus spell slots so having your Kensi Dualwield daggers might be a good idea.

There are no such daggers! There is a somewhat humorous katana though...

• emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    can a thief/mage with UAI use that? although I suppose once you are at that point in the game those spell levels aren't that amazing
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2013
    Tresset said:

That katana is humorous only if you consider it's origin. Katanas can't be wielded by single class mages and that one particularly is perfect for a fighter/mage -the same class of its original owner- and by extention is the weapon of choice for dual class mages early on BG2. It is to be wielded off-hand coupled with an OP katana found relatively early on BG2, that's why all dual class mages pick katana + dual wield as their main proficiency. Flails or Warhammers is another popular choice, pursue both katana and a blunt weapon for maximum efficiency.

You need 18 in Strength, Constitution, dexterity, Intelligence, a high Wisdom is useful too. Charisma is the dump stat, to be raised with items. You'll go for a 90+ roll and the tomes found in BGEE.

On dual classing, you'll miss a 1/2 bonus attack if dualing before lvl 13, not a big issue considering kensai attack speed. When dualing at lvl 9, steal all scrolls from the merchants in Waukeen's Promenade, dismiss all your party members then scribe the scrolls to gain several mage levels, maybe even recover your Kensai abilities.

Obviously when memorizing spells, you'll emphasis on protections against melee attacks, then spells that do high damage. AOE spells are to be considered only for some particular situations and are to be cast by your party mage. Also don't forget to pick Find Familiar scroll.

I believe kensai mages boring and overrated. The class was popular among powergamers back in SoA. SinceToB raised xp cap to 8 millions, kensai mages are clearly laguing behind in both Thaco (max 8) and HLA (High Level Abilities you chose starting 3 mill xp, in this case limited to mage). Multiclass Fighter/mages are the real way to power, and considerably more fun to play.

Post edited by Foggy on
    RAM021
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    You can use it without UAI, it's simply a fact that single class mages can't use katanas. Thieves and fighters can so any combination of a mage with a thief or fighter will be able to use it.
    TJ_Hooker
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Frosty said:

Not in BG2, as has already been said, but I suspect you're thinking of Icewind Dale, where such daggers do exist.

Quartz
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    I would say roll a Fighter/Mage instead. It's much easier on a newer player and, like @Foggy pointed out, they're crazy powerful end-game in their own right.

Dual-class gaming like Kensai/Mages is something that should be saved for a second or third playthrough. I hate that newer players are looking to dive into this game at the deep end. You can complete the game with 6 bards, there's no need to worry about hitting any walls.
    Oxford_GuyQuartz
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    i've never played as a kensai due to the fact their limited to having no armor i usaly run around in leather armor
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

i've never played as a kensai due to the fact their limited to having no armor i usaly run around in leather armor

They can use the Shield Amulet though (AC4, AC2 vs. Missiles, immunity to magic missile), which can be bought early on an cheaply, and can be recharged (although this costs a fair bit)

Personally I think a multiclass elf fighter/mage, gnome fighter/illusionist or half-elf Blade is much more *fun* to play, as you get to be the character you want from the start, get the racial benefits of playing a non-human and (for the multiclasses) can get both sets of HLAs in BG2. Of the three I think the Blade is the most fun, the gnome illusionist/mage the most powerful. I'm biased, though, as find dual-classing extremely tedious and annoying to manage, unless dualling early (e.g. Level 3 fighter -> Thief)

Quartz
    Tresset said:

Frosty said:

Yes, but a fighter/mage, thief/mage or bard can still use this...
  • FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    I strongly suggest playing a plain fighter/mage multi instead. Kensai/mage is a BG2 thing.
    Oxford_Guy
    Fafnir said:

I strongly suggest playing a plain fighter/mage multi instead. Kensai/mage is a BG2 thing.

Even then a kensai/mage is tedious IMHO...
    Fafnir
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    @Oxford_Guy not if you plan it right. If you avoid cashing in the major quests and kill a lot of trash to get to level 13, you can memorize scrolls and cover most of the difference.

It's much worse with a party.... unless you kick them all out.
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    I prefer multi fighter/mage as well. I think kensai dualed to thief makes more sense because backstabs benefits from the grand mastery bonus damage and kensai bonus damage. Plus the xp needed to recover kensai abilities is much lower. Of course it gets boring after UAI, but killing fire giants in one backstab is fun to see. Another overpowered combo those kensai/thief