Skip to content

is an Assassin/Fighter a good combo? or a fail

i have a drow or as drow as you can make your guy, can elves muti class?

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Yes, elves can multiclass, but you can't have a kit with a multiclass character (unless you use an editor).
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    editor?
    thanks the bottem line is i want a charcter that can use stealth and fight well, altough the back stab is nice
    You can always just be a Fighter/Thief instead of a Fighter/Assassin. You can also try the Stalker kit (base class Ranger), which can stealth and backstab, but for lesser values than a thief.
    NocturneN
    hmmm thanks i'll try that i've been ripping my hair out for years, never went with a stalker before
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    Stalkers are actually great.
    Oxford_GuyEudaemonium
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Fighter/Thieves are pretty great too
    Eudaemonium
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Fighter/Thiefs are great, but due to leveling retrictions they are forced to focus on specific thieving skills.

Assassins are also great, and are also forced to focus on specific theiving skills.

A Fighter/Assassin will be doubly great, provided you really focus only on the theiving skills you need. You may need to have another half-thief to deal with traps and locks.
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123
    The main problem with rolling an Assassin is the serious lack of points (only 15 per level-up versus the standard 25), I'd really prefer single-class Assassin for that reason.

All in all, I'd actually roll a Fighter/Thief instead; more attacks per round, can wear helmets to protect against crits (later thieves can too, but helmets for thieves in BG1 are almost non-existant) etc.

Ofcourse, a Stalker is essentially a Fighter/Thief but with less skills (No pick pockets, no trap detection etc) and no thief HLAs. :)

If I wanted to build a really powerful stealth/backstab-machine I'd roll a Half-Orc Fighter/Thief. :)
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    You can dual-class a human from Assassin to Fighter (e.g. at Level 5 Assassin, when you get x3 backstab and your poison first improves) if you have the required stats, you'll lose out on the advanced extra backstab ability that assassins get over normal thieves at higher levels, but the poison and +1 THAC0/Damage is still nice. The main problem is that with only 15 points per level to put into thieving, you won't have very good Move Silently/Hide in Shadow values to make backstabs from, unless you don't dual until much later.

I prefer single-class non-human Assassins myself - typically elves (for the extra +1 THAC0 with all swords and bows and possibility of 19 Dex) or Gnomes (for the shorty save bonus vs. spells and no penalties to Str, unlike halflings - so you can have 19 Str in BG2, which makes a *big* difference). Half-Orcs can have 19 Str from the start, but lose out on the thieving skill bonuses of elves, halfings and gnomes (which really helps with Assassins, due to the reduce thieving points they get), don't get any shorty save bonuses, nor the weapon bonus of elves (swords and bows) and halflings (slings).
    JuliusBorisovEudaemoniumRAM021
    i made a Stalker and a fighter/theif i like both rather well only gripe is the fact nither can have a cowl and i got good stats for both
    Drow Stalker
    16 Stength
    19 Dex
    15 Con
    12 Intell
    16 Wis
    15 Cha
    Half-Orc fight/theif
    18 Stenrgth
    16 Dex
    14 con
    10 intell
    15 Wis
    16 Cha
    i got these stats from abusing the reroll button XD

i made a Stalker and a fighter/theif i like both rather well only gripe is the fact nither can have a cowl

You can change the character avatar/paperdoll to a thief one (with a cowl/hood) easily using Shadowkeeper or one of several mods
    cool thanks
    ok i did i put my dude's file into BG2 used shadow keeper then i pasted him into BG:EE
    You can edit characters/files in BG:EE as well. You just have to point Shadowkeeper to EE's installation directory.
    cool thanks for the help, and i hope they make a mod where misc truns into a bersurker, becuase it's either me or he really doesn't fit in as the usal ranger, it be aweesome if they would of put subraces in this time
    TJ_Hooker said:

You can edit characters/files in BG:EE as well. You just have to point Shadowkeeper to EE's installation directory.

There's also Shadowkeeper EE, which is designed to work with BGEE (including displaying full-size portraits):

https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16497/ee-keeper-shadow-keeper-for-bgee/p1
  • LarlochLarloch Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2013
    Larloch said:

Yeah I don't know about that. Only sometimes...

TJ_HookerRAM021

Larloch said:

Yea, I basically said Assassin/Fighter is the best Archer in the game right now. Then I decided that information wasn't pertinent.

Larloch said:

Larloch said:

Yea, I basically said Assassin/Fighter is the best Archer in the game right now. Then I decided that information wasn't pertinent.

Dude, don't be afraid, put it out there, consequences be darned..... :)
    RAM021
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    @larloch

i'd agree with that, seeing as an a/f can get grand mastery and has poison weapon ability and if you dump all your thief points into move silently probably ends up with a better stealth score too
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    A/F dual class is usually not very recommended, as the Assassin needs high levels (21) to get his true power (eg, 7x backstab, more powerful venoms and actually enough thieving points to be able to do more than to hide in shadows.)
    The only successful dual-class could be the ranged poisoner, utilizing the Assassin's inherent +1 attack with all weapons and his poisons, plus having some thieving abilities. This could net an archer with good aim (All the bonuses), but with low Hitpoints.
    Usually not worth it.

dstoltzfus
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

i made a Stalker and a fighter/theif i like both rather well only gripe is the fact nither can have a cowl and i got good stats for both
    Drow Stalker
    16 Stength
    19 Dex
    15 Con
    12 Intell
    16 Wis
    15 Cha
    Half-Orc fight/theif
    18 Stenrgth
    16 Dex
    14 con
    10 intell
    15 Wis
    16 Cha
    i got these stats from abusing the reroll button XD

They're good rolls yes, but ... wow, someone who actually role-plays their stats instead of min-maxing everything. You have my respect, sir.
    RAM021
  • DexterDexter Member Posts: 253
    @drakescar9 i’m currently playing a dualwielding assassin dualed to fighter at level 5 and i have to say he rocks. Just remember this is a fighter build with more versatility (and fun) than pure fighter: stealth, poison and backstab in exhange of better armor and some HP. Sure stealth could be better but I think is good enough for BGEE. Just change his avatar back to thief, dress up with black clothes and have fun. Really worth to try

@Southpaw I agree this combo could make a great archer, but i guarantee it also make a melee killing machine. Moreover, i think A5/F8 would beat assassin 21 every day of the week. Let's say they both have 18 STR and they have no gear but a regular long sword:

Assassin 21:
    1D8+2(STR)+1(assassin bonus) = 4-11 damage per hit
    (4-11)x7 = 28-77 damage per backstab
    THAC0 8 (base 10 minus assassin and str bonuses) and 1 attack. Need 2 millions+ XP

Assassin 5/Fighter 8:
    1D8+2(STR)+5(GM)+1(assassin bonus)=9-17 damage per hit
    (9-17)x3 = 27-51 damage per backstab
    THAC0 8 (base 13 minus GM, assassin and str bonuses) and 2.5 attacks. Need 135.000xp
    edited April 2013
    Dexter said:

@Southpaw I agree this combo could make a great archer, but i guarantee it also make a melee killing machine.

Yes, it does make a great melee class but Shadow Dancer/Fighter is powerhouse competition at the melee rogue spot. Where as no other class can get the combination of inherent bonuses and APR at range that an Assassin/Fighter archery user can get. It's just on another level completely archery wise. Yea, the melee version inherits all of those same bonuses also but the issue is relative competition.

If you uncap your game and the Archer can get to level 9 or you plan on transferring to BG2 things change. That changes everything for everyone though.

Edit:

But, that's just munchkin power gamey talk there. Assassin/Fighter makes a great melee rogue and is fun. That's all that matters.

Post edited by Larloch on