Skip to content

Polymorph Self Won't Go Back

2»

Comments

• StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    I have never let Marek's quest go unattended for long so I wouldn't know if that could be the cause? Couldn't find anything useful about it on the web.

Do you have a journal entry involving the names Lothander and Marek?
  • CharlieTheMageCharlieTheMage Member Posts: 25
    As I am on an iPad doe that mean I can't zip and edit files? And my journal doesn't have anything about Marek. Yeah I have tried speaking to the inn keeper with various characters and tried many different inns. Looks like there may be no solution. Is it possible to enable cheats on baldur's gate with an iPad?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited March 2013
    I'm not familiar with the iPad, but maybe you can use the method described in this discussion:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11504/transferring-bgee-saves-to-ipad

to transfer the savegame to PC, where you can zip it and upload it here.
    So will doing this enable me to edit my save?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    If it's only his charname who dies, it can't be the Marek/Lothander quest. If it was the poison, the entire party would die. Do you have a cleric who can cast "Remove Curse", or a temple you can reach? Dispel Magic doesn't remove curses.
    The temple won't give me the option to 'remove curse' - the option is faded, implying that it doesn't recognise my character to be cursed. I'm pretty sure I have tried it with a scroll spell on myself as well.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Try buying a dispel magic at the temple instead then. This does sound rather buggy though. From what I understand there is no way to enable cheats on the ipad but If you upload your save file I would be willing to try to fix it in shadow keeper for you and send it back to you. Can't make any guarantees though.
    If the issue started when you polymorphed, maybe polymorph again and see if going back to normal shape removes the weird effects? Unless you already bought all of them, you should get the scroll in Baldur's Gate.
    Thanks for your responses. The issue began when I polymorphed, and I have tried to polymorph again and swap between some different creatures and then return to human form, but I still die. I have worked out that if I just stand still in the game, it takes 5 minutes of real time before I just die on the street, so it is like something is wearing off. The whooshing sound it makes seems to match this theory as well. I have recently consumed a potion of fortitude and a potion of magic resistance, and these HAD to be consumed in order to polymorph myself back to being a human from being a bear, otherwise I died. I wonder what it is that may be wearing off. I have consumed these potions again and gone to sleep but I still die. Do any of you think I should just return to my save where I am apparently permenantly stuck as a black bear, and attempt a different way out of it? Such as waiting it out... ?
    And thanks for your offer Tresset. I will certainly consider it if nothing is fixed in the near future. V grateful.
    Hm, it sounds like an effect wearing off... I *think* I had one of my NPCs hit by Melf's, and take damage after the symbol on the portrait was gone and ultimately die (after taking much more damage than the spell usually does). That didn't happen after I reloaded and tried the fight again to see what exactly was happening, of course.

If you still have a save before the instant death issue started, I'd go back to that and try something new to polymorph back. Maybe wait what happens once the potions wear off and what your stats say then. I'd guess the issue comes from altering the constitution with a potion, then alter it again by morphing, then have one effect end and take the wrong stat to calculate what your con should go back to. (I assume you did not make a charname that has only 3 con, or had your familiar die that much?)
    Ok well I will return to my 'Mage is a bear all the time' save. On that save I am yet to take any potions, so there isn't anything to 'wear off'. And, as a bear, I can cast polymorph self but turning into any other creature kills me. That's the situation I'm in, and I'm worried that I will forever be a bear, and the original polymorph spell won't wear off. There is no loner a polymorph symbol on my portrait, now I'm a bear.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Your Mage character has become a werebear, @CharlieTheMage: it's now his natural form. (I told you the devs had now implemented werebears, @Tresset! :-))

Seriously, however: what @CharlieTheMage is describing must surely be a bug. An odd one, though. I wonder if it might be connected to the problem a couple of other people have reported, of having some of their party mysteriously change into werewolves (early in the game, before they've visited the particular late-game location where lycanthropy is an intended risk).
    Do you have the wand of polymorphing? With that, you could have an NPC use it on you. Not that it would have a good chance to make you whatever race you were, but maybe you can at least become something else than a bear. Wouldn't fix the issue, but hey, you don't get the chance to try out such things every day.

Best try to zip a savegame and let someone try to repair it. I wouldn't risk rerolling with such a bug around; might just have the same problem again.
    Well I have thought of a couple more possible solutions while at work - all just combinations of spells and potions but I'll see how they do. What is rerolling? Just starting again? And I was thinking I could use Polymorph Other on myself and then use dispel magic? Do you think that would work? If so, where can I find the spell, an where can I find a wand of polymorphing? I may resort to having someone edit my save, but will that be easy to do if I am playing on an iPad 2?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @jalily This should probably be moved to the BG:EE bugs section so it will get more attention.
    Ok, thanks Erg. And BJMJD there is no journal entry about a death countdown, unfortunately. How would I upload a zip file of my BG:EE save from an ipad 2?