Skip to content

Polymorph Self Won't Go Back

CharlieTheMageCharlieTheMage Member Posts: 25
edited March 2013 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.2)
Hi, I'm not exactly new to Baldur's Gate but I'm still not very clued up about parts of it. I am a mage playing single player BG:EE on an iPad 2 and I have just arrived at Baldur's Gate. I recently acquired the 'Polymorph Self' spell and used it on myself. For no reason in particular I chose to be a black bear. However, the novelty of being a bear has worn off and now I hate it, and I can't change back:
I have no saves pre-bear spell to return to.
I can't use any of my spells.
I have slept multiple times AND completely erased 'Polymorph Self' from my spell book.
I have got Dynaheir to use 'Dispel Magic' on me and it hasn't worked.
It has been several 'days' within the game and still no return to my normal mage self.
I would REALLY appreciate it if somebody gave me a solution. Thanks.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• CharlieTheMageCharlieTheMage Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2013
    Hi, I'm not exactly new to Baldur's Gate but I'm still not very clued up about parts of it. I am a mage playing single player BG:EE on an iPad 2 and I have just arrived at Baldur's Gate. I recently acquired the 'Polymorph Self' spell and used it on myself. For no reason in particular I chose to be a black bear. However, the novelty of being a bear has worn off and now I hate it, and I can't change back:
    I have slept multiple times AND completely erased 'Polymorph Self' from my spell book.
    It has been several 'days' within the game and still no return to my normal mage self.
    Post edited by CharlieTheMage on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Do you still have the special ability icon to change back into a human? Otherwise enable the cheats and try using ctrl+R on yourself.
    Hi, thanks for your replies. My character does not have the 'return to human' icon on his special abilities; I fear that it may be a bug as well. Is it possible to 'enable cheats' on an iPad, and if so, how? Surely 'Ctrl + R' isn't possible on an ipad?
    I have just realised that my black bear IS able to use the polymorph self spell if it is straight from a scroll. However, once the spell is activated, changing into any form other than a black bear instantly kills me. I have also tried applying the spell and then simply going to sleep or travelling somewhere far away and when the spell wears off I die instantly. It's some progress in solving the issue I suppose, but does anyone know how to prevent myself from dying?
    It does say in bold red writing that my constitution is only 3, and my health is '18/00'. Could it be my lack of constitution that is making me die when I change form? How can a bear/mage increase his constitution?
    I have progressed slightly further. Using a constitution potion I can now activate the polymorph spell AND change back into my human self, but once again, when I sleep in an attempt to shake off the spell, I die instantly (once the sleep has finished). Who is Marek/where do I meet him?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    If your party AI is on, turn it off before going to sleep. If you survive, it's the poison.

Marek is an NPC who approaches you if you enter NE Baldur's Gate from the east section (moving north). You do not actually get poisoned until you talk to his partner, Lothander, in the central part of the city with all the tents.
    Fixed the blighter! I took a hideously expensive yellow Magic Resistance potion which lasts 3 turns, and I took it a few minutes before the Polymorph spell ran out. Very happy right now! Thanks for your help anyway, Jalily and Bhaaldog. I don't think I have met Marek yet, but thanks for the warning! And I think my AI was off, just so you know. Thanks!
    My mistake. I may have survived the potion wearing off but when I went to sleep I still died instantly after the sleep. My AI was off. Does this mean I have been poisoned then? Considering my Constitution information is in bold red and nothing else is, it seems to indicate something strange. What can I do?
    Interestingly, there is a small green circle symbol at the top left of my character portrait once I die. Is that the poison symbol?
    Hi guys. Every time myself (a Mage) and my party go to sleep in an inn or travel a long distance, I instantly die and in my character portrait at the top left there is a small green circle with a squiggly line in it. I don't know if this issue is connected to a 'Polymorph Self' issue I have been having (the discussion about that is a couple of discussions below). In this individual case, I have tried the standard 'remove curse' and 'dispel magic' spells. My charisma is a '3' in bold red writing. Does this have anything to do with it? Thanks.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    What point in the game are you at? When you die does your party die too? How do you die? Do you explode? Did you use a cursed scroll of ugliness (lowers charisma)?
    are you a wild mage perchance?
    AH HAH!!!! the green circle with the squiggly line is the symbol for cursed scroll of ugliness. That explains the charisma at least. I don't know why that symbol wont go away though.
    If you are on the Meric poison quest you have approximately 10 days in game to fix it or you die.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Threads merged.
    I'm not a wild Mage, and I'm not sure if I'm on the meric poison quest. How do I fix it?
    Sorry no I made a mistake. It is my constitution that is 3, rather than my charisma. And it is only me who dies, not anyone else in my party. I don't explode I just die normally. And I am at baldur's gate, only recently arrived, only finished the first seven suns mission. I have visited Ulgoth's Beard recently as well though.
    Basically, if I don't go to sleep NOW and kill myself, then I presume I have a few hours/days before I die. I have got my mage to use another polymorph self spell and simply changing into any other creature instantly kills him. Pretty sure it is linked to Polymorph Self.
    AND when I die it makes a small whooshing sound that does seem to resemble the Polymorph Self spell. Like the sound of it ending.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    I think you might have accidently used a cursed scroll of ailment, though how or why I wouldn't know. Have you tried going to a temple to have it fixed? What does it say next to the symbol if you look in the text on the upper right side of your character sheet?
    I'm worried that it may just be a bug that was started by my using a Polymorph Self spell. I have been to a temple and used 'dispel magic' on myself; no other options available in the temple. And the symbol only appears in my portrait the moment I die, so I can't see any info about it on my character sheet. Is there any other way of fixing it?
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Can you upload a savegame?

Not sure I can help, but I can try.
    I have no save games pre-polymorph spell, which is where the issue began (my Mage character cast a polymorph spell on himself, turned himself into a bear and wouldn't change back. Now that I have managed to change him back, I die instantly when I sleep) 'I' and 'the Mage' being the same person!
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I meant your current savegame. If you can zip it and upload it here, using the "Attach a file" feature, I can take a look to it, using modding tools, and see which effects are applied to your character and eventually find a solution.
  • BJMJDBJMJD Member Posts: 192
    edited March 2013
    I may be wrong, but there is a green icon which appears when you are dealing with a merchant. It use to say who is dealing with the merchant and thereby charisma is use for the prices. Try to talk to the merchant with another party member (it is him/her who should have this icon).

About your died, I have not clue :(
    Check, your journal may be you have a quest with a countdown and at the end of it you die.