Skip to content

Impressions of BGEE.

SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
Well yesterday i started playing BGEE and had some questions that got answered. I ended up fixing some of the problems i had with the game, but some of them still remain. Anyway, i'm a bit dissapointed with this game. I don't regret speding money on it, as i think it's money well spent. But in the form the game is right now i don't feel that it can stand up to the hype, and neither that it can stand up to Trilogy.

1.) The interface looks odd, it's hard getting used to it after so many years of Baldur's Gate 2 interface. It's not bad in anyway, it's just different and in this case different isn't what i'm looking for. They could have touched up the BG2 one instead of making a new one with that hideous blue colour (Opinion).

2.) I love the way the large shield looks in BGEE, but i wish they had taken more from the original Baldur's gate. My full plate still looks like someone molded metal onto a rock, and i wish they had taken the avatars from Baldur's gate I. This might not be possible but it would have been great if they atleast had done something with the plate look.

3.) The new NPC's are nice enough, but they just don't fit into the game for me. I can't put my finger on it, but they don't have that feel to it that the old ones have. And yes the old ones barely have any dialogue, but they still get me to smile and laugh. The new NPC's are a little bit like having a brand new radio in a antique(?) shop.

4.) Black pit. Alright this is a thing i love and hate at the same time. First of all i enjoyed the black pit custom scenario. I played first through it with a party of three, and everything went smooth. There were certain things that were frustrating and you had to have meta knowledge beforehand (Clay golems, trolls, etc) to beat. But you could always load and get the items you needed for the fight. The second time i played through as a solo blade, it was enjoyable and it reminds me a little bit of IWD, it has that nice feeling to it of gloom and doom. Baelokh(?) had a nice voice and felt very much alive.

Now for the negative about Black pit, and the one thing that ruins it for me completely. You can't enter it from inside the original game. Now i know that the experience would make it so that the rest of BG1 was a cakewalk. But i'm sure they could have done something inbetween. Call it a black pit 'lite' or something that you can get into from the original game. Cut the XP rewards to 100-500 XP for the early ones, and 3-5K for the last ones. Also put some of those nifty items in the shop that you can't get from outside the game. Sure keep the +1 swords or armors and such, but then remove the unique items (from the original, boots of talos etc) and make your own 5-7 unique items to put in the shop. You can even make it so that you can only buy theese after you completed the black pit. Also make it as the frozen iceland so you can't return before you have done it all, and put a level requirement of 5 onto entering The black pit.

So much more could have done to make this a part of the game, instead of an arena scenario. Would have LOVED to go to this place before or after durlag's for some extra hours of fun. Especially with the NPC's from the original game (I'm not going to edit them in).

5.) Many small things like the zoom and such are nice enough ideas, but could have spent time on other things instead of them. There were some bugs (Firebead) that wasn't there in the original that they could have fixed aswell.

Ofcourse there were many nice additons aswell, but i feel right now that the bad overweight the good.

I'm going to keep my eyes open for any new updates and such, and i'll probably complete the game i got running now (No reload, so would like to get it done and not put it on hold) . But even without mods, i feel that trilogy is the better edition.

Comments

• SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64
    SionIV said:

Now for the negative about Black pit, and the one thing that ruins it for me completely. You can't enter it from inside the original game.

Given time, I'm sure some modder will come up with a mod to incorporate the pits into the main game.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    With console enabled, you CAN enter the Black Pits with your BG party (with the transfer to area command). You will lose all equipment though, but you can also exit it the same way to the map you left (and get your stored items back). All you need is console and the area code.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Sadly I have to somewhat agree with the op. I love BGEE, don't get me wrong, but as it stands I'd rather just play the old version of BG with various mods installed. The primary reason I play EE now is that it is on IPad and allows me to play on the go easier than lugging around a laptop. I do think that with the amount of attention Beamdog is giving EE however that eventually it will be my BG version of choice. I've been very impressed with the company thus far as to how often they have patched the game and added in new improvements as well as bonus kits and an NPC. I think they are doing an amazing job and I urge you to stick with the game.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Delvarian said:

Sadly I have to somewhat agree with the op. I love BGEE, don't get me wrong, but as it stands I'd rather just play the old version of BG with various mods installed. The primary reason I play EE now is that it is on IPad and allows me to play on the go easier than lugging around a laptop. I do think that with the amount of attention Beamdog is giving EE however that eventually it will be my BG version of choice. I've been very impressed with the company thus far as to how often they have patched the game and added in new improvements as well as bonus kits and an NPC. I think they are doing an amazing job and I urge you to stick with the game.

I agree with the attention part. Just the fact that this version is still getting updates and things added to it, will probaby make it so that in the future it's the one for me aswell.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    Seems like as good as place as any to add my own thoughts, having played nearly every inch of the original campaign now, probably sinking 50 hours in -

What greatly disappointed me initially about the EE is what I still find least impressive - the new artwork. The three new NPC portraits are alright (just passable for Neera), but the new player portraits are downright terrible and not something I would ever use. Find the old artist and offer him a large pot of gold please. Also the new cutscenes - generally not good. While the intro has been improved since release - many are still awful - most especially the one when entering the bandit camp. The ending also grates on me and feels worse. There are parts which are very good, like the painted pictures for the beginnings of Chapters 6, and 5 I think is especially good - whatever depicts the Cloakwood.

The new NPC's - fine. No complaints, however to partially agree with the OP I will say that they feel much more like BG2 NPC's than BG1 - perhaps that's what he couldn't put his finger on. Plus bonus points for making the evil half-orc way better than the goody-goody-two-shoes monk. Anyway overall I welcome them. And Baeloth is awesome.

The interface is alright and doesn't offend me - I wasn't all that impressed at first but it has definitely grown on me.

The engine changes are downright awesome. Everything works and works great. I love the additions and alterations that have been made to the core game that were probably included in the original but only now fixed/unlocked/completed.

The Black Pits I have limited experience with as I got bored. That's not a good sign. I would rather the pits be accessible from the main campaign however there was probably a licensing issue there.

Overall 7.5 / 10

(8.0 when they fix the bugs, 9.5 if someone awesome redoes the new art..)
    The problem with art is that it's subjective. All of your issues (or most) have to do with things that are simply opinion. While it can somewhat be argued that the new character portraits do not fit with the originals due to a differing art style, In my opinion I disagree. When the art is smaller as it is in game, I do not feel that the new portraits stand out as all that glaringly different than the originals. It can also be said that one can use custom portraits, so portraits are hardly an issue to me. As far as cut scenes go, again we are talking opinion, I like them more than the originals (gasp, crucify me now!). I can appreciate that others might not, but can they be claimed to be poorly made or executed? I do not believe they can be. I do not mean to argue, but to assert that one cannot complain about art as a problem (unless quality is the issue) as what one person hates, another may love.

I do agree with you on the black pits, while I found them entertaining at first, I quickly lost interest. Again though, some others may love the idea.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Honestly I'm having a hard time accepting that with your list of four problems the bad outweigh the good.

Honestly I'm having a hard time accepting that with your list of four problems the bad outweigh the good.

With that i mean it's worse than Trilogy.

Those 5 points make it worse than Trilogy for me.

And i honestly can't think of anything it does better. Oh yea, less lag and a tiny bit better graphics.

• KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    To be fair, the black pits has a direct connection to one of the new Npc's.
    I wont spoil to much, but the black pits DOES integrate in the main story, albeit loosely
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    It is still ever so slightly worse than Tutu for me.

At launch I played it at a friends and considered it unfit for purpose so I only bought it after one of the more recent patches (the one that fixed the apr bug). I like the new NPCs, they are more akin to BG2 style which I prefer. The Black Pits was fun but a bit too easy. I really like the new kits as well, I'm already planning what to do with them in BG2. The superficial features like the zoom, journal and interface all seem pointless with the exception of the stat total at character creation being shown.

It's still worse for me because.
    1) No Level1NPCs mod yet, my favourite mod.
    2) Bugs. When you encounter a bug within the first 60 seconds of play (Firebeard/Tethoril) it makes you question how extensively the game was tested.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I really think you can't blame the game for favorite mods not being available. That simply comes with a new release; modders aren't miracle workers. It takes time to convert mods, just like it takes time to make new ones - or enhance a game in the first place. It's a classic "no-one's fault" case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KozaroKozaro Member Posts: 71
    edited March 2013
    Yup. 3.: New characters does not match the classic Non-Player Characters encountered.

1' Plentiness of dialogue options in comparison to the rest of living humanoids habitat. Their lines are unpleasantly long. Especially Neera's. Brr, painful character.

2' Über-useful items as starting inventory.

I recall how great was finding out that Jaheira has had a Potion of Invisibility, Imoen - Magical Rod and Oil of Speed, Kagain - unique looking Golden Helmet (with casual statistics), Minsc - his quick slot item jammed. Simple, but fun things like Boo's squeaking sound. Most of them useful, but not necessary to break your vision of game-play or role-play. Well, I have enjoyed taunting Ajantis that after several words was to walk away just to never be seen again - and without unnecessary reloading because of lost belongings.

Like in Zelda series, you're glad even if you find an empty bottle.

The two details I lacked in EE was the Golden Helmet and Boo. And why does Imoen's arrows still are divided to several slots is a still mystery to me. It feels like the shadow of outdated stacking system is still covering the EE bliss.

The time-saving Gem Bag is gold as Kagain's helmet thogh. No Neera means significant logistics problem. Why simple purse has to be so rare?

3' Quests. It is not possible to completely ignore these characters (and tell them to go away) due to their over-scaled, naive stories and lot of content lost that occurs due to ignoring them.

I find minimal flavor changes like not-being attacked by Wizards of Tay while Edwin's in party a sufficient idea of underlining person's past.

The new NPCs are designed to entertain the player with their fancy stories. The impact goes from subtle developing Child of Bhaal Story to quite naive new scenarios. Additional heroes aren't rather coy inhabitants of Realms, of low importance, of great story only to be experienced as a fabulous members of CHARNAME's party as Imoen, Minsc or K&J themselves.

I think that the problem of adding new things to a whole is the difficulty to blend them into original structure in the most coherent and creative way possible. The way of implementing these new chars may be good, but certainly not masterful as the original game itself.
    Post edited by Kozaro on
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Playable on iPad is case closed for me. Why would I play a 15 year old game on a clunky desktop when I can play it on a portable device in the dark, on the train, on the couch or anywhere else? Or even just at my desk while watching a tv show on my computer.

The games not perfect. It needs work. I still hope to play some multiplayer. I'm having fun though.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    @Delvarian
    Delvarian said:

The problem with art is that it's subjective. All of your issues (or most) have to do with things that are simply opinion [...] I do not mean to argue, but to assert that one cannot complain about art as a problem

Two issues, a) You appear to have just stated that since art is subjective, my opinions on it are not valid. That's retarded - it's an opinion and I'll have one on whatever subjective issues I like. You'd best tell Rollingstone magazine to pack it in because opinions on subjective issues like music don't count for anything. You don't have to respect my opinion's grounds or agree with it but don't tell me I can't have an opinion on a subjective issue because opinions are all that can be stated about subjective issues.

b) I would have thought it obvious to anyone reading a forum post on the internet that, within the post, I am merely stating my opinion, and not stating inarguable facts. Forgive me for not surrounding my opinions/posts with the bleeding obvious, by which I mean constant disclaimers that they are in fact merely my opinion and not the proclamations of god.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Every new kit brings the potential for an additional playthrough by oldtime players. I agree that it's a smart move.

The latest patch even made me contemplate running around with a custom party made only of new kits. Blackguard, Dwarven Defender, Dragon Disciple, Shadowdancer and one of the new Monk kits.

Bring on a new Cleric kit and I can have all bases covered.
  • BlucherBlucher Member Posts: 110
    Something I would have done differently is include some kind of mod loader to the start screen and offer the three new NPCs and the Black Pits as mods (with the Black Pits being accessible from within the game). That would have also jump-started the creation of new mods (and conversion of old mods) for this edition by including working examples and an integrated framework, and allow people to remove the new NPCs for a more "pure" original BG1 experience.

Other than that, I've only played BG1EE for an hour or two, so I can't really pass judgement. Overall, I'm satisfied so far, though it's disappointing to encounter a bug in the first few minutes of playing (Firebead).
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    The biggest BG:EE wins for me are

- four new professionally voiced, well written NPCs (with more presumably to follow via DLC)
    - Blackguard kit
    - new magic weapons
    - the zoom feature
    - new UI
    - new soundsets

The movies have actually grown on me too. Despite initially feeling underwhelmed by them, I think I actually like them better now. The graphic novel style is sort of neat. I think they could be improved a bit. But I kind of like the graphic novel angle a lot.

Is all that "better" than BGT or Tutu? Sadly, I'm probably never going properly measure that out. I lack the motivation to go back and install the BG1 and BG2 from disks, and load up the gazillion mods I used to play with. That just feels like too much of a chore. (That's just me, of course.)

I don't know how many of the mods will ever get refurbished for BG:EE. I saw @Miloch comment that he just doesn't have time for now to tackle Level 1 NPCs, which I do miss with EE. There probably aren't that many people with the skills willing to take something like that on.*

But over time I'm looking forward to the modding communities' adaptations of existing mods to EE and to Beamdog's DLCs. And I'm mostly interested now in supporting the effort to get BG3 made via the success of the EEs. That's the 'bigger picture' to all this, in my view.

* We don't have L1 NPCs, but has changing NPC classes via EEKeeper been proving stable for the game?
    Lock said:

@Delvarian

Delvarian said:

The problem with art is that it's subjective. All of your issues (or most) have to do with things that are simply opinion [...] I do not mean to argue, but to assert that one cannot complain about art as a problem

Two issues, a) You appear to have just stated that since art is subjective, my opinions on it are not valid. That's retarded - it's an opinion and I'll have one on whatever subjective issues I like. You'd best tell Rollingstone magazine to pack it in because opinions on subjective issues like music don't count for anything. You don't have to respect my opinion's grounds or agree with it but don't tell me I can't have an opinion on a subjective issue because opinions are all that can be stated about subjective issues.

b) I would have thought it obvious to anyone reading a forum post on the internet that, within the post, I am merely stating my opinion, and not stating inarguable facts. Forgive me for not surrounding my opinions/posts with the bleeding obvious, by which I mean constant disclaimers that they are in fact merely my opinion and not the proclamations of god.
    I apologize, I meant no disrespect. Of course your opinion is valid. I meant only that things such as art could not be discussed as problems with the game from a technical standpoint. If it seemed that I was attacking your views, again I apologize, it is only that I have spent so much time on these forums dealing with people who do view there opinions as fact. It can, as I'm sure you can see, become quit frustrating.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

I really think you can't blame the game for favorite mods not being available. That simply comes with a new release; modders aren't miracle workers. It takes time to convert mods, just like it takes time to make new ones - or enhance a game in the first place. It's a classic "no-one's fault" case.

The problem with this is that the game was supposed to be more moddable, not less modable. I think it's fair to expect some hiccups adapting a mod to a new engine, however, completely not working with Weidu and the extra hoops of hardlinking paths, being unable to mod on iPad (overcome by using pictures folder or something I guess instead of game paths, huh?), having to use dtclep to add custom soundsets again huh? Why make it harder to mod?

The problem with this is that the game was supposed to be more moddable, not less modable. I think it's fair to expect some hiccups adapting a mod to a new engine, however, completely not working with Weidu and the extra hoops of hardlinking paths, being unable to mod on iPad (overcome by using pictures folder or something I guess instead of game paths, huh?), having to use dtclep to add custom soundsets again huh? Why make it harder to mod?
    Also many of the people that made some of theese mods are gone now from the forum community. So there will probably be that one or two mods that you enjoy which won't be compatible with BGEE. But as i'm not a modder this is only a guess.

I'm not sure I understand why custom portraits need be a certain size. In any other game I play on my IPad that allows custom pics, I can take any picture from my photos and use it. This seems like something that should be done for EE to make it more customizable for that platform.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Playing it on Ipad is the best feature for me. It is such a great comfort and pleasure! The game looks so crisp, colorful and alive. Also I enjoy being a part of a new BG community. I tried loading my BGT game on my heavy laptop, it was heavily modded and edited very meticulously to suit my tastes, it is the perfect BG game for me, in terms of rules, enemy AI, new npcs-quests, spells, etc. Yet I couldn't bring myself to play it after experiencing BG:EE. Found myself trying to zoom in and out by using the mouse wheel, and all it did was to scroll the combat message log.