Skip to content

How should I use Faldorn?

Faldorn has always intrigued me, and I've decided that I really want to bring her along with me on my next playthrough after this one.
However, I've got no idea how to use her. I think druids are freaking awesome, but I've never really been all that good at, well...making them effective?
I thought maybe I could ask for a few pointers ahead of time so once I finish this playthrough and start on the next ((and, you know, get to chapter four in it, that's kind of a thing I'll need to do too)) I'll already be set and ready to go

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    secretmantra
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    She is no tank, so avoid melee as most as possible. Use her as an offensive spell caster and summoner.

Use Entangle to hamper groups of weak enemies. Use doom to weaken enemies. Use Charm person/mammal on bears, wolves, humanoid enemies, etc. Call lightning is devastating when used. Summon insects can be useful on a single enemy. Call Woodland Beings is the best spell ever, abuse it all the way! The mymph used to have a lot of spells in vanilla.

Faldorn can reach lvl 5 spells, being a pure druid, so you can wreak havoc with Insect Plague or enjoy some protection with Ironskins. If you have no xp cap and Faldorn can reach lvl 6 spells, her Fire Elementals will demolish every opponent easily in BG1. (save Greater werewolves and Sarevok, maybe)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Faldorn has 16 WIS that gives her 2/2/0 bonus spells. Giving her 3 manuals of wisdom even improves the bonus.

Also she can summon a Dread Wolf once a day - an additional creature always helps in the battle to distract some hits.

That's all about her unique abilities and stats.

She's a druid so she can reach the 10th level at 125 000 EXP - it's not so long so durig nearly every late and hard battle you'll be able to use her full potential. And this is the main pro of having Faldorn in the party - of course if your main character is not a druid himself.

10th level means an access to the level 5 spells.

Animal Summoning II can help a lot in the battles with Drizzt, Sarevok and other powerful melee fighters, in dangerous places such as Durlag's Tower. Especially if you combine this spell with Animal Summoning I and (or) Wand of Summoning.

Insect Plague is one of the, if not the, best druid spells! If the target saves, it runs away in fear but the 100% casting failure applies even if it fails! Use this on a mage and he's nothing but dead.

Iron Skins for Faldorn is not so useful as it can be for a dual fighter/druid because of only 14 base THACO max - she's not so effective in melee, so you won't use her in one-on-one fights often (an enemy will hit you more than vice-versa) and thus this spell is not super-effective for Faldorn.

Mass Cure is one nice healing spell: fair casting time and can heal up to 22 life points to everyone in the party.

Pixie Dust... If you need to go somewhere but the place is guarded by some tough ennemies, use this to make everyone invisible and go through.

These are Faldorn's main pros in my opinions. She can be a very useful character indeed.
    lunarLadyEibhilinRhettdstoltzfuslolien
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Insect Plague and Call Woodland Being is where it's at. Basically let her sit in the back and hold on to her until she hits those useful levels, Druids level very fast!

Insect Plague is the best spell in vanilla Bg1 and trivialised basically every fight once you have it. Call Woodland Beings is the best summon. Other than that, darts? Maybe shapechange could have a place but not sure there.
    lunar
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited March 2013
    I would focus on her spellcasting abilities and use her same as I would utilize a mage. In the back row casting spells. You just have to become familiar with druid spells.
    lunarKidCarnival
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Dread wolf is a nice summon since it has some immunities IIRC. Cold, stun/hold, charm, sleep etc. so it can tank ghouls and winterwolves easily? I may be remembering from my modded BGT game though, can some one confirm?
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    I'd use her as bandit bait and then accidently leave her crazy, homicidal ass at the bottom of the mine when I flood it. One less fanatic in Faerun has to be a good thing..

On a more serious note, as the others say above she's definitely back row spell casting material. Her physical stats wouldn't let her be of much use in melee so it's crazy bug lady for her. I would probably change her kit to an avenger if I ever brought her along, because in her case it just feels right.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    She can also wear Ankeg armor, which keeps her AC pretty good. As I've usually got my tanks wearing full plate, I give her second set of ankeg.
    I still use her as a caster, but she is now a caster that won't get hit as often, everyone wins!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Put the +1 dex buckled on her from durlags too.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Sometimes I use her for feed & fertilizer leaving her dead carcass on the ground to feed the local fauna & flora - seems fitting...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Bhaaldog said:

Wanderon said:

Sometimes I use her for feed & fertilizer leaving her dead carcass on the ground to feed the local fauna & flora - seems fitting...

I feel sorry for the plants...
    Actually the acid loving mosses and goodberries do quite well around her...