Skip to content

Quick question

How do you get to Urgoth's Beard village? it's been a while, like 14 years, since i played ToTSC and i forgot how to unlock the area. it's on the world map , it just won't let me go there

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I think you need to hear an NPC tell you about it or Durlag's Tower. Either that, or you need to travel to it from an adjacent map area.
  • DarrylsonDarrylson Member Posts: 87
    I don't think you'll be able to go there until the bridge to Baldur's Gate opens, since you need to exit that area from the north to reach Ulgoth's Beard.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You can get there from that outlying farm to the north of Bg.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Travel North from the friendly arm INN, avoid the Ankeg by staying in the woods along the east side of the map. Travel north again to get to the bridge area. Hang a right follow the river until you get to the end of the zone use that map transition there to unlock the farm and Urgoth's beard
    Tresset
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2013
    Like Frosty says. Theoretically you could get there immediately in chapter one if you somehow survive the ankheg map.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2013
    If you follow the water edge through the ankheg map you won't get attacked by ankhegs and you'll be safe to move up to the bridge area. There are no monsters in the bridge area except the ankheg carrying the quest dagger behind the priestess house. You can run past this one and click on the edge of the map before it can hit you with a range attack. When you have gone to the map from there you'll see ulgoth's beard and the farm to the north. (Farm got a very easy quest that gives 800 experience and another 600+ from killing the zombies which you can kill easily with a ranged weapon as their very slow) there is also a cloak of protection + 1 in the quest givers house that is a nice item for early on. It's in a container that requires 80-90 in open locks.

A very easy way to get some quick experience from the start is ->

1.) Move up to the ankheg map, kill the three fishers there for a flail + 1 and the bowl. You don't lose any reputation from doing this.
    2.) Go up to the priestess and tell her that you're going to kill her, shoot her once with a range weapon to trigger her second dialogue and give her the bowl for 2500 experience.
    3.) Move past the ankheg and up to the north farm, clear the zombies and give in the quest for another easy 1500-1800 experience. If you're a thief then steal the cloak of protection from his house.
    4.) (Thief only) Go to ulgoth's beard, steal the ring of free action from the gnome lady at start (One if not the best item in the game) go to the house on top right after you go into map and open a chest for a bastard sword + 1. Go into the Inn and go to the back room and open the chest for a war hammer + 1. Now go to the house with the werewolf guy and you can open his chest without him getting angry and taking the 900 gold there.

4300 experience.
    Flail + 1
    Hammer + 1
    Bastard sword + 1
    Cloak + 1
    Ring of Free Action
    1300 gold.

Right from the start.

Anyway sorry for derailing the topic :)
    Fafnir
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    SionIV said:

If you follow the water edge through the ankheg map you won't get attacked by ankhegs and you'll be safe to move up to the bridge area. There are no monsters in the bridge area except the ankheg carrying the quest dagger behind the priestess house. You can run past this one and click on the edge of the map before it can hit you with a range attack. When you have gone to the map from there you'll see ulgoth's beard and the farm to the north. (Farm got a very easy quest that gives 800 experience and another 600+ from killing the zombies which you can kill easily with a ranged weapon as their very slow) there is also a cloak of protection + 1 in the quest givers house that is a nice item for early on. It's in a container that requires 80-90 in open locks.

A very easy way to get some quick experience from the start is ->

1.) Move up to the ankheg map, kill the three fishers there for a flail + 1 and the bowl. You don't lose any reputation from doing this.
    2.) Go up to the priestess and tell her that you're going to kill her, shoot her once with a range weapon to trigger her second dialogue and give her the bowl for 2500 experience.
    3.) Move past the ankheg and up to the north farm, clear the zombies and give in the quest for another easy 1500-1800 experience. If you're a thief then steal the cloak of protection from his house.
    4.) (Thief only) Go to ulgoth's beard, steal the ring of free action from the gnome lady at start (One if not the best item in the game) go to the house on top right after you go into map and open a chest for a bastard sword + 1. Go into the Inn and go to the back room and open the chest for a war hammer + 1. Now go to the house with the werewolf guy and you can open his chest without him getting angry and taking the 900 gold there.

4300 experience.
    Flail + 1
    Hammer + 1
    Bastard sword + 1
    Cloak + 1
    Ring of Free Action
    1300 gold.

Right from the start.

Anyway sorry for derailing the topic :)

This is one of the reasons why I now restrict myself from going to Ulgoth's Beard until I can enter Baldur's gate City (i.e. after Cloakwood). Being able to get a +3 Staff and the Greenstone Amulet right from the start (well, as soon as you can raise the cash) just doesn't feel right IMHO.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    IIRC, Ulgoth's Beard is accessible immediately at the start of the game if you travel north, just exploring. You can travel to it from the northern edge of the bridge map into BG city.
    Oxford_Guy
  • BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    Thank you guys!