Skip to content

Dragons

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. Dragons92 votes
    1. Yes. The physical size of the Dragons are what I would expect.
      63.04%
    2. No. I expected the Dragons to be larger
      14.13%
    3. No. I expected the Dragons to be smaller
        3.26%
    4. Dead Dragons look the same to me...
      19.57%

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Dragons vary wildly by age as can be seen by the dragon skeleton in durlags compared to the ones that you fight.

Generally I don't think much of he dragon fights as its too easy to cheese what should be some of the smartest and most cunning enemies in the game.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2013
    I'm already frustrated with firekraag for taking up so much of my screen. If he would be any bigger i would seriously ask for a mod to reduce his size. And the first time i saw a dragon in BG2 (Having only played BG1 and IWD earlier) I was like "Oh my god, that thing is bigger than the beetles from IWD"
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    No. The size should be affected by both the age and the dragon's subrace.

For example, an adult white dragon should barely be half as large as an adult red dragon. It's kind of immersion breaking that all dragons are the same size in the BG series.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Bigger is better, no?

With the original non-experimental resolutions I think the sizes were about as big as could be allowed to fit on the screen. Now with higher resolutions I wouldn't mind seeing a dragon on the scale of the skeletons you see here and there.

I was pretty psyched when I heard about the dragons in BG II, especially after always wondering about that huge ass skeleton in the wyvern cave in Cloakwood.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The great thing about BG dragons is that they feel extremely rare and incredibly powerful.
    When other game's dragons pop up during the opening cutscene or you are sent to kill one in the first dew hours of the game, it feels kind of meh.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    ajwz said:

The great thing about BG dragons is that they feel extremely rare and incredibly powerful.
    When other game's dragons pop up during the opening cutscene or you are sent to kill one in the first dew hours of the game, it feels kind of meh.

Yeah, I agree with this (although after playing Skyrim where dragons are more common than dogs it is hard to think of games where dragons are opening cut scene chump-fights).

I remember when I picked the Cavalier kit I thought "oh wow, +3 to hit versus dragons AND demons? There must be a lot of those!" At first I was disappointed that my bonuses were so rare, but dragons are a rare and mythical creature even in a fantasy setting. Also, for the most part, they are incredibly intelligent and while many are vain, enough are smart enough to just avoid the player character Bhaalspawn as they know he has ridiculous player character abilities and of course the at will reload spell.

Then there are some dragons like Firkraag's who really are so vain they ignore your clear abundance of power and game manipulation and scoff at your challenge (then get tooled in a battle of epic proportions).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Why's it got to be about size?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Am I the only one that was surprised that they ate my monitor space?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    If they were any bigger, it would be a hindrance to game play. Though, I'm sure many dragons would probably be bigger in most fantasy settings. Just as BG: EE doesn't 100% follow D&D rules for game play purposes, it can't allow gargantuan dragons.

Don't forget the pseudodragon! What is the deal with those, anyway?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    I remember when I first saw Firkraag..... ahh the nostalgia.

I'd prefer if the Dragons were larger overall, it would make the Improved Abazigal halarious!
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    If you've got the widescreen mod, they don't take up too much room on the screen, though I understand since it was originally meant to be run at 800x600 or 640x480 that they'd be massive on the screen. With higher res, it's mainly the fog of war that makes things wonky. You have to be right on top of one for it to even show up. That is highly exploitable with AoE spells, but it seems kind of strange you have to be so close to see something so massive.
  • ParaspriteParasprite Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2013
    As far as BG1 goes, the size of the dragons seemed about right (even if a bit bad at actually being threatening). However, I've only seen the wyverns and don't remember there being anything other dragons in BG1 to compare them to. Any bigger and you would need to rework the mechanics and/or size of the field of vision to make sense of it (after all, the game isn't really well set-up to have a creature both out and inside of your field of vision).

Edit: This is all assuming on the type and age of the dragon. It would look incredibly weird to me if all dragons were the size that wyverns are and would seem far too small.