Skip to content

Elven avatars with some charisma or presence?

I would love to play an elven PC. But I never do because I don't like the look of their avatars on the screen. Their portraits are often beautiful. But they look to me like short thin humans on the screen without much substance or presence. Yes, they are supposed to be more delicate looking, but why not human height or even taller as well as elegant. The females are especially disappointing compared to humans. Viconia's portrait is myserious and exciting, but the avatar on screen looks like a stick figure compared to a human.

Would it be a good idea to have a mod to correct the elves physical presence or charisma on screen? For me it would make the fantasy so much better. What do you think?

As an example, I'm affected so much by mood and visuals that I couldn't carry Coran in the party because his portrait just looks so inane. After I changd the portrait to something more dashing, I'm with him all the way. I have this same problem with the elves physical look on screen although I love elves.

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited March 2013
    Elves are short thin humans. Humans are taller than elfs, and they weight more. I think they did a fine job in BG1 vanilla with the elf look, the BG2 elf looks horrible in my opinion. I can't see how they would have done the BG1 elf any better than it already is. I doubt it's possible for a modder to change enough for it to make that much of a difference, and it's only so much charm and elegance you can get out of a 2D pixelated character.

Elf :

Average height : 5'4" - 6'0"
    Average weight : 130 - 170 lbs

Human :

Average height : 5'6" - 6'2"
    Average weight : 135 - 220 lbs
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I like the elven avatars better than the humans, I've always thought the humans looked to big, bulky and awkward compared to the elves. (Human females especially)
    JuliusBorisov
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    SionIV, the comparative weights and heights of elves vs humans that you quote appear to be reasonable. Yet, on screen the elves appear more like 5'2" and 110 lbs (below the lower end of the range you've given) with stick figure legs. It doesn't strike me aesthetically. Of course these things are in the eye of the beholder.

Instead of those 5'2" and 110lb figures that keep showing up, I'd rather sometimes see one of the 5'6" and 135 lb females or 5'9" and 160 lb males.
    franco said:

SionIV, the comparative weights and heights of elves vs humans that you quote appear to be reasonable. Yet, on screen the elves appear more like 5'2" and 110 lbs (below the lower end of the range you've given) with stick figure legs. It doesn't strike me aesthetically. Of course these things are in the eye of the beholder.

Instead of those 5'2" and 110lb figures that keep showing up, I'd rather sometimes see one of the 5'6" and 135 lb females or 5'9" and 160 lb males.

I agree with you and if possible i would also enjoy some upgraded avatars, not just the elf. But with the tools they had available when they made Baldur's gate i have a feeling that they went to extreme with them to make it easier to see which is which. A human is a large and somewhat bulky avatar, and an elf is a short and slim figure. If they had put the human to less bulky, and the elf to a little bit taller and broader, it wouldn't be as easy to see what is what under all that armor.
    edited March 2013

I think we are much in agreement. I understand that in BG1 they had to start somewhere, and they went for the more extreme distinctions that you've indicated.

The humans are a bit bulky (although STR 17 and 18 types should be) , and the human females are a bit exaggerated or saftig (possibly to please some of the younger male gamers). But my aesthetic problem is that the elves were exaggerated in the other direction. I'd like seeing an elf with less bulk or fat than a human, but more with the elegance parhaps of a shorter Maria Sharapova.

I guess my main question though is whether it would ever be worthwhile to make these adjustments with a mod. Perhaps it wouldn't be worth the time and effort, and it would be hard to please everyone. But I'd be willing to pay for a good attempt at it.

franco said:

I think we are much in agreement. I understand that in BG1 they had to start somewhere, and they went for the more extreme distinctions that you've indicated.

The humans are a bit bulky (although STR 17 and 18 types should be) , and the human females are a bit exaggerated or saftig (possibly to please some of the younger male gamers). But my aesthetic problem is that the elves were exaggerated in the other direction. I'd like seeing an elf with less bulk or fat than a human, but more with the elegance parhaps of a shorter Maria Sharapova.

I guess my main question though is whether it would ever be worthwhile to make these adjustments with a mod. Perhaps it wouldn't be worth the time and effort, and it would be hard to please everyone. But I'd be willing to pay for a good attempt at it.

The closest modders that have something similiar as their goal is 1PP. You should google Baldur's Gate 1PP and read through what they are doing. They are fixing many avatars, paperdolls and such. It wouldn't suprise me if they ended up later on making something for the elfs.
    franco
    Thanks SionIV
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    I thought of the BG2 incarnation of Rillifane when I saw the title of this thread.

That dude has presence.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @Schneidend

So much win.
    KidCarnival
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Schneidend
    Dat gurl!
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited March 2013
    Face it guys, Viconia's bum is built for speed not comfort...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Anduin said:

Face it guys, Viconia's bum is built for speed not comfort...

I WILL FIGHT YOU!

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    There was Moinesse's avatars mod, that changed some avatars..long braided hair for elven sorceresses was nice IIRC. 'Course the mod was for BG2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I started this thread, but when I returned I see that it has deteriorated beyond repair.
    Have fun guys.
    Eudaemonium
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Geez, get a sense of humour.

Everyone wants to tap Viconia. That shows you that, in a game like BG, the writing is many times more important than the art.

You don't have do redesign a game engine to put in effective text!
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    lol@insightful :D
    Eudaemonium
    I was just joking.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    franco said:

I started this thread, but when I returned I see that it has deteriorated beyond repair.
    Have fun guys.

Unlike Viccy's elven arse, which is built like an incredibly clean inn made of brick and thus needs no repair.

Darrylson