Skip to content

How do you activate Shield Amulet?

Just bought Shield Amulet. Equipped my Charname (Blade), but I don't know how to activate it.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Click on the backpack icon on the bottom bar and then the amulet.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Thanks Jalily.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    @franco - Good choice of magic item for a Blade, at least until you can get the elven chain (though getting that is dependent on taking an NPC along that you might not want to, depending on alignment), even after then as it's better (if more expensive to maintain).

BTW If you sell it when it gets down to one charge (not zero), then you can repurchase it fully charged (50 charges), though it costs about five times more than the initial purchase (though charisma and reputation affect the cost), though if your Blade casts the Friends spell before purchasing it (which you should be doing anyway before any major purchase), this helps - even with a minimum Cha of 15, Friends will raise it 21 Cha, which gives the maximum Charisma-based shop discount (75% of normal price). Or you can just steal it back, though as a Blade would probably to use two potions of Mastery Thievery to be able to steal this reliably. Also, once stolen, to cannot sell it again to recharge, you think carefully whether you think 50 charges will be enough to see you through.
    franco
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    I thought the encounter happened whether you agreed to take Dorn or not. In fact, I was under the impression that the first opportunity to take Dorn in happens immediately after that encounter finishes
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    *Spoiler*
    Somewhere fairly early in the game there appears "mail of the Dead +2". In an earlier game I had it on Viconia because she'd use up all her strength carrying regular platemail. Would the above magic armor be suitable for a blade? I can't easily tell whether it is magic chainmail.
    Amberion said:

I thought the encounter happened whether you agreed to take Dorn or not. In fact, I was under the impression that the first opportunity to take Dorn in happens immediately after that encounter finishes

No:

the encounter where you can get the elven chain is the third encounter with Dorn's enemies and they don't appear unless you have Dorn in your party. This encounter doesn't occur until you can enter Baldur's Gate City

franco said:

*Spoiler*
    Somewhere fairly early in the game there appears "mail of the Dead +2". In an earlier game I had it on Viconia because she'd use up all her strength carrying regular platemail. Would the above magic armor be suitable for a blade? I can't easily tell whether it is magic chainmail.

It's okay for a blade when you don't want to cast spells (as it prevents this), as you can still use wands and scrolls, but it's not ideal. Also, you can't wear +x protection rings with it, as it's magic armour.

BTW I think Viconia is better wearing one of the suits of Ankheg plate, especially now that it's not classed as magical, so it can be worn with protection rings.
    franco
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited April 2013
    @Bhaaldog I liked the old BG1 chants better.

Goo cog nyph nah, LOOOAAAD AHAIIDAAHH!!!!!!

Come to think of it; just about EVERY spell related sound effect sounded 100x more awesome back then. The chants had so much more emotion in them and the magical sound effects were so much less blah. Why did they ever change these?
    BTW after activating a charge of the shield amulet, you can take it off and wear a different amulet (e.g. the one that gives +2 to saves) until the Shield spell wears off
    JuliusBorisov
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    armay in ma pado paaaay

or something