Skip to content

[Bug] Rasaad - incorrect equipability

GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
Observed behaviour: Rasaad can equip the Golden Axe +1.

Expected behaviour: Monks should not be able to equip Axes.

Comments

• NyxlNyxl Member Posts: 34
    I tested both Rasaad and a protagonist monk with all axes known in the debug console, without finding a golden axe +1 (there's a battle axe +1 at Feldspoth's and throwing axes +1 at Taerom's, both in Beregost). And none of those are equippable by monks whatsoever. The one battle axe +2 (obtained in the Helm & Cloak Inn after a brawl, iirc) looks golden, but isn't named as such.

Where did you find that weapon, if I may ask?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited March 2013
    @Nyxl: if you kill Fenten (the ankheg-shell dealer in NW Baldur's Gate), then he'll drop the Golden Axe +1. It's a darn good axe.

Yes, I know Rasaad can't equip other axes, and of course that's as it should be. I assume he shouldn't be able to equip the Golden Axe +1 either (unless this is some sort of deliberate Easter Egg by the devs, which I doubt), but actually he can, so that's why this is a bug report. I haven't tested it with a protagonist Monk.

@Bhaaldog: I had to look up the reference to understand what the heck you're talking about. A long-forgotten Sega cartridge from 1989, wow, that's seriously obscure!
    edited March 2013
    @Gallowglass : Found it, thanks for the indication.

As you can see, the item description does not list monks or beast masters in the classes that can't use axes. Aaand being the curious CLUAConsole cat that I am, I looked further into the matter and found out the following (with the relevant item codes) :

- ax1h01 : normal axe, correct regarding allowed classes.
    - ax1h02 : +1 axe, correct regarding allowed classes.
    - ax1h03 : +2 axe (Battle Axe of Mauletar), correct regarding allowed classes.
    - ax1h04 : normal throwing axe (stackable), correct regarding allowed classes.
    - ax1h05 : +2 throwing axe (stackable), returns to wielder's hand, correct regarding allowed classes.
    - ax1h06 : ditto, same item but different code (stacks separately, thus).
    - ax1h07 : Bala's Axe (from TotSC).
    - GAP with no item from ax1h08 to ax1h15...
    - ax1h16 : magic throwing axe with special design, but no name or description whatsoever, conform to normal axe-able classes.
    - ax1h17 : Missing String [#71038], Missing String [#71039], but conform to axe-able classes.
    - ax1h18 : Beruel's Retort, +1 throwing axe, shorter list of forbidden classes (monk and beast master missing).
    - ax1h19 : Golden Axe +1, shorter list as well.

So, this is not a matter with Rasaad the monk, but with 2 actual items in BGEE.

Anyway, we may enhance the OP's bug description, if you allow me...

Current Behaviour : The axes "Beruel's Retort" ("ax1h18") and "Golden Axe +1" ("ax1h19") are usable by monks and beast masters.

Expected Behaviour : It shouldn't be the case, as per monk and beast master kits descriptions.
    Thanks for taking the trouble to do the additional research, @Nyxl.

I think your research has revealed a further bug, although you haven't mentioned it: surely a returning throwing axe (ax1h05 and ax1h06) ought not to be stackable. This is a minor issue in BGee, since the (returning) Throwing Axe +2 is a unique item (so far as I know), but it might well become relevant in BG2ee.

Thanks for taking the trouble to do the additional research, @Nyxl.

I think your research has revealed a further bug, although you haven't mentioned it: surely a returning throwing axe (ax1h05 and ax1h06) ought not to be stackable. This is a minor issue in BGee, since the (returning) Throwing Axe +2 is a unique item (so far as I know), but it might well become relevant in BG2ee.

I feel like a tester, at the moment. :-p

As for the stackability of the returning throwing axe, I think it is debatable. If it requires only to toggle a 'stackable' flag, or to set its value to '1', or something like that (basically : one attribute of the given item), that's okay. If it would require a more in-depth update of the engine, because that attribute is set at an abstract level, then I'm less okay with it. It's a matter of appreciation of cost/benefit ratio, and of priorities as far as bugfixing goes. And given that considered item appears only once in a vanilla walkthrough, I think this would not be worth the effort.

Not everyone is a debugger/cheater... O:-)
    @Nyxl: of course I agree that some bugs are much more urgent than others. However, I take the view that we ought to report all bugs, no matter how minor some of them seem to us, and leave it to the Overhaul team to decide priorities. In the particular case of stackability of items, I think it is indeed just a matter of setting/clearing a flag.
    Nyxl
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    I know the issue with Golden Axe and Beruel's Retort has already been reported here http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17283/bug-rasaad-incorrect-equipability#latest
    It also applies to Hammer of Dawn (for monks at least, possibly also for Beast Masters but I haven't tested that)

Current behaviour: Monks can equip Hammer of Dawn +1

Expected behaviour: Monks cannot use hammers as per their class description
    Hmmm ... I don't remember a "Hammer of Dawn +1". Where do you find that?
    Hall of Wonders... the guide has it
    Take a look at this post for most of the new stuff
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8110/a-guide-to-new-magic-items-spoilers/p1

or use shadowkeeper to take a look at some of the item lists... nice band...
    Oh yes! Thanks, @Sertorius, I read that list a while ago, but I'd forgotten this item (probably because I'm not in the habit of looting Brathlen, so I've never collected it).
    edited April 2013
    @Gallowglass

Looks like we can also add the quarterstaff, The Ossifier, to the list since it's also useable by monks