Skip to content

Guide to polymorph self.

13»

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Lemernis said:

I liked this so much that I've made the guide available in the form of a downloadable document here. Great job, @SionIV!

Thank you, it'll be updated as we learn more. :)
    syllog
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    There's no scroll of Stoneskin anywhere in BG:EE? Isn't there one at Sorcerous Sundries?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited March 2013
    @Lemernis: There are two, but neither can be bought. One is on the ice island that Shandalar sends you to, and the other is in the final encounter of Adoy's Enclave (Neera's quest area).
    Oxford_Guy[Deleted User]
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    Lemernis said:

There's no scroll of Stoneskin anywhere in BG:EE? Isn't there one at Sorcerous Sundries?

Dezkiel in the Ice Labyrinth has one. Ekandor in Adoy's Enclave had one too in my first playthrough, but it wasn't there when played the game again.

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Jace said:

Ekandor in Adoy's Enclave had one too in my first playthrough, but it wasn't there when played the game again.

@Jace

Ekandor is scripted to use the scroll of Stoneskin, after his first Stoneskin is gone, so he must be killed quickly or incapacitated (stunned, etc.) to get the scroll.
    EudaemoniumOxford_GuyMortianna
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Erg said:

Jace said:

Ekandor in Adoy's Enclave had one too in my first playthrough, but it wasn't there when played the game again.

@Jace

Ekandor is scripted to use the scroll of Stoneskin, after his first Stoneskin is gone, so he must be killed quickly or incapacitated (stunned, etc.) to get the scroll.
    I've been lucky, as have managed to get this both times I've attempted this, though I spammed Ekandor with both spells and missile weapons from the off, I don't think he got to cast *anything*!
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Looks like Sorcerous Sundries in BG will sell an unlimited amount of Polymorph Self scrolls. Opens it up nicely to Mages and Sorcerers, no?
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Tested the blade in BG:EE. If the Blade is improved hasted, then the offensive spin doesn't work. If the Blade already has the offensive spin engaged, then the improved haste doesn't work.

I like the 'nerf' with defensive spin but not this one with offensive spin.
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    Jace said:

SionIV said:

The flind is important in SCS, as it's the earliest you can get hold of a +3 weapon. It makes fighting certain golems and such much easier. Also it kills trolls without much problem. It has 2 better Thac0 than your own base Thac0. It's using a halberd + 1 (+3 enchant) with +1 fire damage. With strenght buff and other stuff it can easily deal out 15-17 damage a hit in SoA. It's not as useful in BG1.

You misunderstand.

In BG:EE, if you are a pure mage with 18 Base THAC0 and just a +2 weapon, you'll have 16 THAC0, but in Flind form (which replaces your weapon) you will have:

18 Base + 1 Strength + 1 enchantment - 5 halberd nonproficiency = 21 THAC0.

Because pure mages get penalized with -5 to hit if they are not proficient with their weapon.

@smealgolheart Yes, if you have points in Halberd or Two-Handed proficiency, you get those bonuses when shapeshifted into Flind form. If you are a fighter/mage or bard that wields halberds, you may get some fun out of it. Hopefully, they will soon change so that the magical halberd does not require proficiency.

This is correct.
    Curious about running a melee sorcerer myself I was just trying the same thing.
    Your thaco goes down. Even if you could cast it at level 1 with 10 strength your thaco would go down.
    That doesn't mean it has no use... just... very little.

(Also: really wish Dragon Disciple had some interesting melee value - like an improved thaco. Maybe even a strength bonus that applied to polymorphed forms. Could make it interesting.)
    edited December 2013
    ---
    Post edited by syllog on
    edited December 2013
    Jace said:

Might as well note that not all forms are auto-hasted in BG:EE. Only wolf, bear and flind forms receive haste upon shapeshifting. This further diminishes the sword spider's value (which can't even poison enemies) outside of web tactics because a bear will have 4 ApR, 18/00 Strength and 18 Constitution from the get go. That's the same ApR with more damage and better THAC0, as well as more HP. You will need a lot of buffs to make the spider equal to a bear in damage output at least.

Good to Know. I noticed that and was trying to track down the mod responsible.
    That would also be why the wolf is so useful: it's hasted and can get out of bad situations incredibly fast...

Also: Guide is wrong (as of v1.2 BG:EE, anyway). Sword Spiders only have 4 APR (5 with haste, which they don't start with).
    Post edited by syllog on