Skip to content

Drizzt Do'Urden Strikes Back...

2»

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    In BG1, Drizzt is an untouchable dervish of destruction. In BG2 he is still a dangerous enemy but not the greatest danger, but certainly a very useful ally. But alas, in ToB, Drizzt would be very underpowered when compared to the epic levels of the PC. You can squish him like a bug with a few Smite&Greater Whirlwinding warriors with ToB's best equipment.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

I've never managed to kill Elminster. He just drops cows on me, turns me into squirrels and then teleports away.

It's not worth it, he doesn't drop the hat.

GodKaiserHell
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689

I've never managed to kill Elminster. He just drops cows on me, turns me into squirrels and then teleports away.

It's not worth it, he doesn't drop the hat.

But he does give you the most XP you can get from any single creature/person/NPC in the game.

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    And breaks the immersion most because he comes back this or that way. You reach level cap easily, so XP alone doesn't make a worthy target to me. It just means I reach level cap sooner and find the late game too easy/somewhat boring.
    I guess it's worth it if you play with mods and removed level cap to get every bit of XP, but at the moment, I don't. I killed him long ago to see what loot I would get, hoping for something unique or at least worth a decent amount. It's not the case, hence it's not worth bothering.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    BG2 NPC's are charismatic enough , we don't need any FR Celebrities
    KidCarnivalGodKaiserHellCalmar
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The Drow always rule supreme, so it's not a contradictory entry to B. He's a book-story character, and therefore should only be in the party if there's a story/quest for him to be - and only during that story/quest.

So, No. Even though they rule supreme (just ask them).
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I personally feel that cameos by famous FR personnel is fine, but do not wish to have them as playable characters. I want to play my own story, not something that belongs in one of the books.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I am doomed by this pool. I don't particulary care if he's going to appear in ToB or not, but neither I think that drows rule supreme.... What should I do? :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mackosthe_spyder
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    If this was the case, I'd have killed him three times before the end of the series, which is getting a bit ridiculous.
    GodKaiserHellEudaemoniumNeonfisk
  • Xar105Xar105 Member Posts: 112
    Viconia is all what I need, Drizzt go your way...
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I'm kind of with @ajwz on this one, three murders of the same guy is a bit repetitive. If they were going to put him in ToB regardless of how I feel about it, making him an NPc doesn't make me more upset. At that late in the story though, especially if I have already killed him twice, haven't I surpassed him in XP that my comrades are already better equipped to deal with epic level situations?

Oh right, ToB auto levels party members so they are still near the PC. So by making him an NPC, it would make Drizzt a level deserved by the PC and not necessarily Drizzt... Perhaps then he should just die and not be an NPC...
    Neonfisk
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    toanwrath said:

Perhaps then he should just die...

If only ...
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Is all the Drizzt hate that seems to occur among some D&D players due to the character himself, or merely due to the 1001 Chaotic Good Drow Mary Sues that were spawned by fans in his wake?
    [Deleted User]AHF
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376

Is all the Drizzt hate that seems to occur among some D&D players due to the character himself, or merely due to the 1001 Chaotic Good Drow Mary Sues that were spawned by fans in his wake?

@Eudaemonium - Definitely the latter. It is the backlash from all the Mary Sue love.

Eudaemonium
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    However when playing tabletop D&D it is a good way to determine players that you don't want in your game. Rule of thumb, if some says "I want to play a Drow ranger" your gonna have a bad time.
    The_Shairs_Handbook
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Drows...drows everywhere...

Nah. Vicky is drow enough for me... ;-)
    [Deleted User]
  • mement0mement0 Member Posts: 105
    edited April 2013
    I voted No, though it really depends on the situation.

Imagining him as a playable character in ToB, unlocked a really old memory I had, when 12 years ago a friend of mine insisted in playing a ranger with a trained Wardog in an epic level campaign using the 2nd edition Guide to Hell. Turns out bringing a dog in the middle of a demon war was not a clever idea. At least for the dog.

What I am trying to say is that Drizzt might look badass but he has his limits. And ToB is way beyond these limits.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    LOL. Considering the Planar Sphere encounter it would be funny if, somewhere along the line during ToB, you ended up facing a black robed mage with gold skin and hour glass eyes who has godlike power and is from an alternate realm. Not as a party member, mind you. Simply as an obstacle.