Skip to content

Party Advice Needed

I'm trying to determine the party I'm going to use, so far I've determined I definitely want to take Dorn, Kagain, Edwin, and Viconia. This clearly leaves me needing a thief, and I do not want one as my player character. Would I best off with Imoen (possibly dualed to mage), Safana, or Shar-teel (dualed to a thief)? If I took Imoen would she conflict (to the point of leaving or fighting) with any of these characters? If Imoen or Shar-teel duals will I be fine with no thief temporarily?

For my player character the classes that most interested me were Dwarven Defender and Archer. The potential problem with Archer is that I am limited to good alignment and my party is going to be almost exclusively evil. So long as I keep my reputation in check will I be able to keep my party intact? I am also a bit confused on why my Dwarven Defender's dexterity caps at 16. The only penalty I'm aware of is -1 for being a dwarf. So where is the other -1 coming from?

If there are any other classes for my player character that might pair well with this party I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Imoen doesn't have conflicts with other characters. Regardless of which thief you pick, you should be able to keep your party together as long as your reputation stays between 3 and 18. However, if you're an Archer, you can't go below 6 without falling and losing your Archer abilities (same goes for all Ranger types).

The dwarf Dex thing is a bug. See here for the fix: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/268122/#Comment_268122

You will have to remake your character for it to work.
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 303
    I'd definitely go for a dualed Shar-Teel as thief. Safana's only real merit is that she's Neutral in alignment and gets to cast Charm once per day.. she's got bad strength and even worse con, and tends to die very easily.

With Shar-Teel, you've actually got two options. In my opinion it's best to dual her at L3 fighter, since it comes quickly and that way you won't be without a thief for a large part of the game.
    You can choose to let her dualwield, in which case she'll become a downright frighteningly effective backstabber due to her massive strength.
    Or, the more exotic route: You can let her be your archer, which also works since she's got great dexterity. At L3 fighter, put a proficiency in either Longbow (better overall) or Heavy Crossbow (more for the quirky appearance, though there are some very powerful bolts available in the game), then dual. At L4 thief, you regain her fighter abilities and can put another proficiency into Longbow/Heavy Crossbow, and you get a final proficiency at L8 thief.

Regardless of what you do with Shar-Teel, you'll have a real power party, and can pretty much have any kind of PC you want without problems. Personally I like having magical options, so I'd maybe consider a Cleric/Mage or gnome Cleric/Illusionist. But really, anything will work as said.
    KidCarnival
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Yep, Shar-Teel is the best fit for that party. @aldain said it all, plus before you get her lockpicking levelled, you can have her smash most locked chests - leaves more points for stealth and traps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Imoen is good aligned. This appears to be an evil party.
    As far as I know, she has the same breaking point as neutral NPCs (at 1 rep). Shar-Teel and Safana are both better fits for evil parties from their personalities anyway. I'm no fan of mixing good and evil NPCs.
    At rep 1, the thief leaving is the least of your problems (in populated areas anyway). But another point for Shar-Teel is: The only compliment banter happening between evil NPCs is between her and Viconia. The other evil NPCs will all happily insult each other, but there is respect between the ladies. It's certainly a nice change.

Also just saw the other question what other classes might be interesting. A second Blackguard, built to tank, might work. Dorn isn't very tanky if you compare him to Kagain or a Dwarven Defender, but the kit itself works great for it if you go for dex/con instead of str/dex like Dorn.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    You can recruit Xzar and Montaron, the just kill Xzar and kick him from the party. if your evil disposing of useless people will not bother you.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    You're doing an evil party dude, and shar-teel dualed is overpowered (i'm using her in one of my campaigns right now). Go for her is my advice.

Your party already have kagain and dorn, a huge tanker and a killing machine, viconia can be not the best tank in terms of HP, but her Armor Class can go pretty low with an ankheg armor (about -4 or -5 with a shield) which make her a tanker too sometimes.

Don't be shy with the archer, in roleplay pruposes, just get the helm of opposite alignment and use it on your archer (don't know if it will make your archer a fallen archer, but in my opinion an fallen evil archer on an evil party would be awesome).
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    From a powergaming perspective Shar-Teel is probably the best evil-aligned Thief, I like to dual her at Level 3 fighter, otherwise too much waiting. Montaron is also not be discounted, though, he's a decent thief and gets the halfling thieving bonuses and shorty save bonuses.
    Quartz
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Shar-Teel and/or Safana. Never go the unimaginative route of sticking with Imoen when there's so many other thieves in the game.
    KidCarnival
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    You can just make a fighter and train in log bow to get most of the archers ability. you don't get called shots but you do get heavy armor can be good with a back up melee weapon and level faster. and be any alignment you want.
    Quartz said:

Shar-Teel and/or Safana. Never go the unimaginative route of sticking with Imoen when there's so many other thieves in the game.

Especially in an evil party... Except for Alora, really every thief in the game fits better in an evil party. And even Alora has extra banter there.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    montaron is very usefull
    coran is the best archer
    both thieves