Skip to content

It may be a pipe dream but

Comments

• BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    edited April 2013
    @ajwz er no because devils are more likely to make contract than demons, though demons have blackguard servants. think of the abyss as a giant moshpit where as the 9 hells are kind of like the IRS...except evil....well more evil than the regular IRS. But the 9 hells have a more rigid hierarchy than the Abyss does. they love forcing mortals to fill out paperwork
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Well, Dorn's certainly is, since he mentions the Abyss a couple of times in his dialogues. No idea of demon is a requirement, though. I would have thought that devils would be all over contracts, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Bhaaldog said:

Tyranus said:

@Bhaaldog 's not a troll. He's just... prevelant, haha.

Bhaaldog isn't a he.
    Heya! It's me, @Bhaaldog
    You're secretly *Imoen*?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    It would certainly beat my disguise.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    edited April 2013
    Naw, @Bhaaldog is Irenicus with a part of Imoen's Soul...

Hehe.

I view the Blackguard much like the "Darth X" thing in Star Wars - I am pretty sure that the beginning Blackguard is first very much like an Apprentice, and even though makes a Pact with a Patron of Darkness, probably is being guided at first by a go-between (a servant of that Patron of Darkness, acting in it's stead). This actually makes more sense, as a Patron of Darkness has better and more important things to do than stooping to the wishes and concerns of some low-level nobody (like it's other, high level somebodies, for example). As the Blackguard grows in power, and begins to prove itself, the go-between (probably some minor demon or devil servant) then presents it's "little pet" to it's master, who may perhaps pass it on to a greater servant...and so on.

At some point (pick your level for this), the Blackguard proves herself, and assumes her rightful position under her Patron's guidance...

Note that in 3rd Ed, they changed Blackguard to a Prestige Class, and it was not possible to get at 1st level. This actually makes it more believable IMHO.
    edited April 2013
    edited April 2013
    WebShaman said:

Hehe.

I view the Blackguard much like the "Darth X" thing in Star Wars - I am pretty sure that the beginning Blackguard is first very much like an Apprentice, and even though makes a Pact with a Patron of Darkness, probably is being guided at first by a go-between (a servant of that Patron of Darkness, acting in it's stead). This actually makes more sense, as a Patron of Darkness has better and more important things to do than stooping to the wishes and concerns of some low-level nobody (like it's other, high level somebodies, for example). As the Blackguard grows in power, and begins to prove itself, the go-between (probably some minor demon or devil servant) then presents it's "little pet" to it's master, who may perhaps pass it on to a greater servant...and so on.

At some point (pick your level for this), the Blackguard proves herself, and assumes her rightful position under her Patron's guidance...

Note that in 3rd Ed, they changed Blackguard to a Prestige Class, and it was not possible to get at 1st level. This actually makes it more believable IMHO.

I thus think that Dorn should be accompanied by a Quasit or other low-level demon, because he totally needs a familiar on top of everything else.
    Shoulder werebear!

Shoulder werebear!

My mental image of this is kind of incredible.

WebShaman said:

Hehe.

I thus think that Dorn should be accompanied by a Quasit or other low-level demon, because he totally needs a familiar on top of everything else.
    This actually does make a sort of sense - I would actually go with how they did the Blackguard in 3rd Ed, and give the Blackguard a Summons - a nice Succubus or perhaps an Erinyes or so (as is in 3rd Ed - and for female Blackguards, the male equivalents).

Since in BG, the Blackguard starts at 1st, the Summons should be relatively minor (perhaps a Quasit or Imp would then be appropriate, to be replaced at level X with a more powerful Summons).
    Should the fanart challenge have the theme "familiars" one day, I shall enter with "Dorn's pet werebear".
    I'm generally of the opinion that Charname should always be able to have a familiar, regardless of class, since nobody else can actually use the spell. Sometimes I mod the spell to be usable by all for that reason.

But I firmly believe Dorn should have a Miniature Giant Space Werebear.
    Get out of my mind, Satyrion!!!!!!!!
    That would be me. Sorry for the confusion, I tried to cast Summon Familiar, then a wild surge happ... ohwait. My disguise!
    I should have sent @Bhaaldog in first. Her drow magic resistance would have been most useful.

What was this thread actually supposed to be about, again?
    But if she is Imoen, why does she have magic resistance? So confusing...

This thread is about... *scrolling up* ... pipe dreams. I have a suspicion what's in said pipe. (Spoiler: It's werebear hair.)
    *tokes from pipe, coughs*
    I begin to suspect that she is really Godlaahb, a Matron Mother from the Underdark!
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Beware the Bhaaldog, for she shall walk amongst you and take many forms. And chaos shall be sown in her passage...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Bhaaldog is actually a martian shapeshifter infiltrated in the Resistance... But you didn't hear it from me...
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    What happened with Jergal? Is he still serving as seneschal? I hear that Bhaal may return in D&D Next, hopefully the old guard will all get some new developments too. (and come on, the return of Bhaal is just begging for a BG3)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Tome said:

What happened with Jergal?

He retired.
    I'm not joking.
    edited April 2013
    Again? I know he retired from being a Greater God ages upon ages ago (to the dead 3 IIRC), but I swear he's chilling out as a demigod of something or other still. Still think he has a plan of some sort, he's been very lazy for arguably the oldest of the gods (Ao excepted).
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    He's still around in the planescape setting. Also, apparently he can intefere if the gods that inherited his portfolios aren't doing their jobs properly.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    edited April 2013
    @Tome Jergal serves under Kelemvor at the moment and lives in the City of the Damned. He accepts his role as an overseer and confidant without any direct involvement in the running of the multiverse. He still accepts worshipers and grants spells because of the rules Ao decreed after the Time of Troubles; otherwise he would cease to exist.

edit: He was perfectly content directing his following to accept the Dead Three as their new patrons before the Time of Troubles.

I'm sure he had a plan all along. He probably bet that the Dead Three would be able to amas a greater following and be more powerful as seperate entities than he could alone, and figured it wouldn't be long before their lust for more power resulted in a conflict with the other Gods. After the dust settled he could consume the power of all the fallen Gods. He just didn't forsee the Time of Troubles and the massive restructuring of the role of the Gods.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, thanks for confirming! :)

The 'Jergal is secretly planning something' is just a pet theory of mine. I have a feeling old gods like Jergal, Bhaal and Mask will be significant on D&D Next as part of their overture to estranged players who disliked 4e.