Skip to content

3.5 Far from canon - Heavy roleplay game.

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    A bit of carefree-ness never killed anybody. Wait. It has. Oh no!
  • xenavirexenavire Member Posts: 30
    @reedmilfam it's actually not a house rule, its on page 6 of the PhB for 3.5 - all classes get max hp + con modifier at 1st level. Very useful to know, since it isn't actually mentioned anywhere else that I can remember.

A few low stats wont matter, this will be a largely roleplay based game, not combat after combat like some games. As for rolling on skills, it will generally be down to how well you RP something unless its truly a luck thing. (Say picking a lock under pressure is a luck based event - so we roll.)

Also, I had no idea about the RPG crossing "new members" rule until very recently, it seems a lot more has changed there than I thought. I am going to re-request the game thread shortly, as it seems to have fallen into the cracks. Hopefully we can have a game thread so we can have a dedicated place to contact each other.
    @xenavire - no worries. All of my rolls were single pass 3d6 with no adjustments (except +2 CON, -2 CHA required by 3.5 rules), although I did swap the order of the scores (otherwise, I'd have 10 STR and 17 CHA (well, 15), which would have forced me to re-select character class and whatnot). I'm not worried about the stats, but I did want feasible.

Anyway, my only knowledge of 3.5 is from playing NwN 1/2 and the KOTOR games. I'm more worried about the writing piece and will let you worry about the core rules part (I think). I tried to RP the stats and my choices of (a) feats and (b) skills to match my vision of the character. I hope it works!

No need to worry, both your stats and writing are fine - I am not going to go all angry DM over a few high stats, especially when it might turn out that they are rarely used. If it gives you an unfair edge at times, then I might ask you to tweak things, but everything everyone has so far is more than fair.

And I applaud you for trying to fit your character theme rather than what is strong - thats exactly the kind of game I want. It's also the reason why I wont just throw encounter after encounter at you - I want you to explore your characters and the world, and not just feel like your character is a one dimensional killing machine.

Before we get started for real, I want everyone to have a reson to be in the same general area - We have a bard who is more than likely incarcerated, poor Cali, not exactly sure on Simon, but he might just be getting a visit from some less than reputable people, leaving the dwarf Golan... Why is he in the province right now? Did he get a job with the gaurd? Did he sign up with the local blacksmith? Or did he just come in to try some local brew? I don't mind what the reason is, but I need everyone in the same province (aka city). Mostly for my convenience, I could contrive all sorts of reasons for you to be there - but I would rather it seemed natural to your characters.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I was framed :P
    Sure you were, I believe you... haha.

Also, a resource you might find useful - http://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?p=5497687#post5497687

You can practice rolling dice there, which is handy to know once we hit game-time.
    Why I'd be in 'the area' (as I'm not sure what area I'd be in) is sort of written into the bio - it's a derivative of him wearing out his welcome and moving on. His preference is to craft items or build things, so he's usually trying to find an income along those lines. That was sort of my 'gut feel' for him.
    Got it, I think I can work with that info. I think we are about ready, going to go pm the mod in charge of games, and ask to have the process sped up.
    Sounds good. I'll try to actually upload my character to rpgcrossing today, too.
    @Delvarian - You have to insert a link to the character if you want your sheet to show up (right under where you entered the character name).

@xenavire - I don't know what we do next, but I got my charry uploaded, so I guess that's a start!
    edited April 2013
    Next we wait for the thread to go up, even with a PM and several days the mods didnt get around to putting it up for us.

Although, random chatter is possible as well, nothing is stopping us chatting along.

Right now it seems like I have a likely setup for you three meeting, so I wouldn't worry too much. My other players whom you will meet when the game thread is up, will have help from me during character creation, and by and large I know how they are going to join up, so everything is seeming to be smooth as silk for now. We just lack a game thread to post in!
    Post edited by xenavire on
  • slinkyslinky Member Posts: 6
    Wow sounds like an interesting and unique world.. is this scenario still open to applicants, if so I have ideas about a solem/ subtle half Orc Druid or cleric I could expand on if you like?
    Right now I am a bit over-full, but with new players who aren't sure about time commitments, a spot could vacate.very quickly, but then again maybe not. If you can show me something exceptional, I can try and write you in, but with so many players to keep track of, I need the players to be extra responsible about posting etc.

If you think you can commit the time and effort, I will do my best to make it work.
    @xenavire - there are forums here for RPG writing/playing - you can make your own thread if that is easier. Anyway, let me know
    I would, but RPGCrossing comes equipped with all sorts of handy assets, like dicerolling and character sheets, and other things that just make everything run smoother.

It wouldnt even be an issue if they weren't so slow, I don't remember this the last time I made a game there...
    I didn't find the dice-rolling, but I think I'll figure things out as we use them. Character sheets were pretty much hidden, too.
    edited April 2013
    No worries xenavire I could see I was a bit late to register my interest I'm too much of a lurker when it comes to these things...

Gnarm Strongheart

6'4 ft grey green skin with red hair mow hawk with braids at the back and amber eyes. Animal companion is a shaggy blackwolf.

After being abandoned in the woods by his human mother to die, he was found by his foster father a half elf Druid who raised him among his own family of 10 children within a druid/barbarian community , Already stretched to the limits his mother and older brothers resent him and bully him behind his foster fathers back but his older sister always made sure he had a friend to lean on and a fellow to study with. The sudden death of his father in a hunting accident is blamed on him by his elder brothers and they forced to move on and live as a wandering Druid.

Because of his upbringing he has a strong dislike for bullies or the arrogant and is likely to see his fellows as family.

Sorry if this is to little to late, this description has been sitting in my head so it's nice to get it out there, keep in touch if you need another player I'm keen :)
    edited April 2013
    Hm.. Right now, I am going to say "not right now", since I was hoping you might have something a little more connected to my world being high magic and prosperous, and I already have a few borderline backstories I have to sort out into my world - it's doable, and I could easily add you at a later point, but one of the other newbies is likely to try being a druid - and druids being more solitary and in favour of the wilderness it would take some massive stretches of logic to make a natural excuse for two of you to be in one city.

So unless we have sudden drop-outs, you will have to wait until I think its managable, or chunk of story that needs more players opens up.

Sorry to dissapoint, but this isn't an outright no - I am just having to think about the workload of 6 players in a world I will have to change on the fly according to players (trust me, it happens, you can't plan for everything). When things are more settled I will reconsider it.
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for taking time to consider me. If you need a fill in, ask any time :D
    Well, maybe we'll run into this wild priest at some point. Might be interesting, but not so much as a mug of strong brew... At least to my dwarf's way of reckoning.
    How do I link my sheet? What am I linking it from or to?
    @Delvarian - It's on your profile. Go to Delvarian's profile and scroll down below the 'welcome' bit. There's a box there called Delvarian (under it, it might say new member) and it has tabs. The one titled About me has a list of your uploaded characters.

You can edit the name by clicking the yellow thing, and you can also edit the link to that sheet with the same button under Link. For the link, you use the character sheet address (URL). I can't find yours without the link, but mine is here.

Assuming you built a character sheet, of course. Hope this helped.
    I made my character public, so I imagine people can view it now?
    Http://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=39235
    People can view it- what I was talking about was linking to it from your profile. It's up to you.
    We finally have our game thread!
    http://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11584

Just go sign in at the OOC thread when you have time, I will get the game running in short order.
    It's on my to-do list; trying to get to it today.
    Not a problem, I understand people are busy, just trying to work around everyones schedules (interesting to manage when three players are complete mysteries haha).

Just post when you can, I figured you would be pretty quick, just hope Skippy sees the update soon and joins us.
    Done. It's mostly notes for you. I can't PM people yet - big question is what he'd have by way of belongings.
    Just normal bought gear is fine, you can explain that its handcrafted etc. As I have much more knowledge about your char at the time I am posting this, any flaws in your gear would make it equal to normal crafted gear (so no masterwork stuff yet.)
    That's fine. He's good, but green (meaning I maxed the skills he *could* have). He'll pick up stuff as we move along, I expect.