Skip to content

Buffing Up Fighter/Mages

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing a fighter/mage run in BG2. Since he is dual-wielding long swords up front, he is obviously depended on buff spells. I'm rather confused about all the Armor/Shield spells though. The game offers a wide range of these protection spells up to level 4 (Armor, Shield, Ghost Armor, Spirit Armor, Blur, Mirror Image, etc.)

First of all, do some of these spells stack (e.g. blur and mirror image?)?

And, secondly, how do you usually buff up (in which order, to be precise) your fighter/mage?

Thanks!
fmunoz

Comments

• Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    VikingR said:

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing a fighter/mage run in BG2. Since he is dual-wielding long swords up front, he is obviously depended on buff spells. I'm rather confused about all the Armor/Shield spells though. The game offers a wide range of these protection spells up to level 4 (Armor, Shield, Ghost Armor, Spirit Armor, Blur, Mirror Image, etc.)

And, secondly, how do you usually buff up (in which order, to be precise) your fighter/mage?

Thanks!

Blur and Mirror Image stack and with most of the other protection spells e.g. Armour/Shield/Ghost Armour/Spirit Armour (which don't stack with each other). Protection from Evil (which I think actually protects against *all* alignments in the game) stacks with all these, as I think does the awesome Stoneskin. As for which to cast first, it doesn't really matter except it's usually best to cast the ones which last longest first! This can change as you level up, depending on how they scale.
    TJ_Hooker
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Shield is a very fast cast so it is a good spell to use in the case of a ambush. and it stops magic missile.
    Oxford_GuyQuartz
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    I wouldn't bother with the spell, though I would carry the necklace if going against Mages.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    VikingR said:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

There is no need to use any armor spells (Ghost armor, spirit armor) as you should be using the Bracers of defense AC 3. Shield is great in BG1 but no one will be throwing magic missiles at you in BG2, and the ones that do it aren't a danger.

The spells you want up for every fight :

Blur (+3 AC)
    Mirror image
    Stoneskin (As this has a 24 hour duration, it should always be up)
    Fireshield red / blue
    Haste.

There are many protection spells that are used for certain fights aswell, best way to figure out what you need is to read up on the spells and then pick depending on what you're going to fight.

Good ones on mid level are :

Spell shield
    Spell immunity (Abjuration makes you immune to imprisonment)
    Protection from normal weapons (Not that useful)
    Protection from different elements (Fire when you're against dragons etc.)
    Globe of Invulnerability (Immune to level 4 spells and under)
    Improved haste (!) - This is a must, doubles your APR.

Once you get to higher level you're going to start using mislead and such. But having the spells i mentioned will easily carry you through most of the game. Will need some spesific buffs when fighting liches and such.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited April 2013
    I used mostly Blur + either Mirror Image or Some sort of -AC like Armor, Ghost Armor ... (you don't need all)

+Shield is a fast cast and used mainly against Mages (as it nullifies those pesky Magic Missiles) and in times of real need as it stacks. (you don't even need to memorize it. You can buy the first one at Naskell Carnival and when it runs low on charges, sell it and buy again)
    Southpaw said:

I used mostly Blur + either Mirror Image or Some sort of -AC like Armor, Ghost Armor ... (you don't need all)

+Shield is a fast cast and used mainly against Mages (as it nullifies those pesky Magic Missiles) and in times of real need as it stacks. (you don't even need to memorize it. You can buy the first one at Naskell Carnival and when it runs low on charges, sell it and buy again)

I'm pretty sure Shield doesn't stack with itself
    TJ_Hooker

Southpaw said:

Not with itself, but armor and magical armor. I remember it was a flat -4 AC bonus.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I think Shield Amulet activation stacks with Armor/Ghost Armor
    spell.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited April 2013
    Southpaw said:

Not with itself, but armor and magical armor. I remember it was a flat -4 AC bonus.

spell.

The Shield spell/amulet sets your base AC (to 4, 2 vs. Missiles), which means that it won't stack with anything else that sets base AC. This includes armour, the armour spells, bracers of AC, etc.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
    Oxford_Guy
    TJ_Hooker said:

Southpaw said:

spell.

The Shield spell/amulet sets your base AC (to 4, 2 vs. Missiles), which means that it won't stack with anything else that sets base AC. This includes armour, the armour spells, bracers of AC, etc.
    I agree, this is what I experience
    My memory might have been failing me. Sorry.
    Quartz
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited May 2013
    First cast spells that don't have time limit like
    Spell Sequencer and Spell Trigger

Then cast spells that last longer like
    Stone Skin, Spirit Armor, Remove Fear, Protection from Evil

Then spells with shorter duration like
    Mirror Image, Fire Shield(Red/Blue), Protection from Cold, Fire..., (Improved)Haste, Spell Immunity, Globe of Invulnerability

Then just before battle cast spells that expire very quickly like
    Protection from Magic Weapons, Draw Upon Holy Might

Spells that don't stack with themselves or others in their type
    Armor spells: Armor, Ghost Armor, Spirit Armor. Use the highest level possible, ultimately Spirit Armor.
    Stone Skin
    Spell Immunity
    Weapon protection spell: Protection from Normal Weapons, Mantle, Improved Mantle, Absolute Immunity, Protection from Magical Weapons

I think Mirror Image and Blur are perfectly compatible
    Post edited by Djimmy on
    TJ_Hooker
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    SionIV said:

VikingR said:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

There is no need to use any armor spells (Ghost armor, spirit armor) as you should be using the Bracers of defense AC 3. Shield is great in BG1 but no one will be throwing magic missiles at you in BG2, and the ones that do it aren't a danger.

The spells you want up for every fight :

Blur (+3 AC)
    Mirror image
    Stoneskin (As this has a 24 hour duration, it should always be up)
    Fireshield red / blue
    Haste.

There are many protection spells that are used for certain fights aswell, best way to figure out what you need is to read up on the spells and then pick depending on what you're going to fight.

Good ones on mid level are :

Spell shield
    Spell immunity (Abjuration makes you immune to imprisonment)
    Protection from normal weapons (Not that useful)
    Protection from different elements (Fire when you're against dragons etc.)
    Globe of Invulnerability (Immune to level 4 spells and under)
    Improved haste (!) - This is a must, doubles your APR.

Once you get to higher level you're going to start using mislead and such. But having the spells i mentioned will easily carry you through most of the game. Will need some spesific buffs when fighting liches and such.

Slight clarification, Stoneskin's duration is 12 hours, not 24.

Still, no reason any mage should ever not have Stoneskin up, single best defensive spell in the game!
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    I'm little bit confused, right now.. Does Tenser's Transformation suck or is there any reason why no one mentioned it?
    TJ_Hooker
    Sidemi said:

I'm little bit confused, right now.. Does Tenser's Transformation suck or is there any reason why no one mentioned it?

It's great for a Bard, as they level up so quickly, less so for other arcane classes
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Bhaaldog said:

Sidemi said:

It's great for a Bard, as they level up so quickly, less so for other arcane classes
    I recall from another thread someone mentioned that mages gain an additional penalty for using a weapon they are not proficient with. That penalty may not apply to Bards? Therefore they may gain a minor advantage from that perspective in using Tenser's Transformation if it were true.

It is not a spell I often use myself though.
    The penalty *would* apply to Bards, but Bards can already naturally use every weapon except Composite Long Bows, sooooo there is no issue. The Bard would clearly already have a proficiency in the weapon.
    TJ_Hooker
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

Sidemi said:

It might not be great for pure mages or sorcerers, but I don't think there's any particular reason why it couldn't be useful for a F/M. Sure, the "THAC0 becomes that of a fighter of the same level" part becomes more or less useless for a F/M, but they'd still get bonuses to hit, damage, HP, and AC.
    Quartz said:

Bhaaldog said:

Sidemi said:

I recall from another thread someone mentioned that mages gain an additional penalty for using a weapon they are not proficient with. That penalty may not apply to Bards? Therefore they may gain a minor advantage from that perspective in using Tenser's Transformation if it were true.

The penalty *would* apply to Bards, but Bards can already naturally use every weapon except Composite Long Bows, sooooo there is no issue. The Bard would clearly already have a proficiency in the weapon.
    That's not strictly speaking true, Bards are*not* automatically proficient with everything, which is what you seem to be implying, though at higher levels they do tend to be proficient in a lot of weapons, as can only put on pip in each (though 3 usually go into dual wield, if a Blade). Bards (and Thieves and Clerics) suffer a -3 penalty when using a weapon that they're not proficient in, whereas Mages get a whopping -5 penalty and fighters just -2.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Quartz said:

Bhaaldog said:

Sidemi said:

That's not strictly speaking true, Bards are*not* automatically proficient with everything, which is what you seem to be implying, though at higher levels they do tend to be proficient in a lot of weapons, as can only put on pip in each (though 3 usually go into dual wield, if a Blade). Bards (and Thieves and Clerics) suffer a -3 penalty when using a weapon that they're not proficient in, whereas Mages get a whopping -5 penalty and fighters just -2.
    Oxford_Guy
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Quartz said:

Bhaaldog said:

Sidemi said:

Errrrrr no, I did not imply that. But why the bloody hell would you switch to a different weapon than you normally use upon launching Tenser's Transformation when you already have access to essentially every weapon? Yeah, you wouldn't.

If there's any assumption to be drawn from my posts, I'm assuming that the player has a *common sense,* that is all.