Skip to content

Death Gaze

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
edited April 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    remove curse removes the effect. You have to cast it fairly quick, like before the battle is finished or the relevant guy will pop into a ghoul.

Potions of mirrored eyes prevent the gaze effect. I'd suggest using a potion of haste, potions of power, heroism, cloud giant strength and then a potion of mirrored eyes and turning loose your biggest guy down there. Mirrored eyes potions don't last very long.
  • CrawleyCrawley Member Posts: 74
    Kewl, I didn't know that. Up until now Death Gaze meant insta-reload :D
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    potions of magic shielding (3 turns), haste and power on a warrior type should be able to solo this battle
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Protection from petrification is intended to prevent the effect, not remove it. I always cast it on my tank and moved him just into the view of the basilisk so that they would attack only him with their death gaze and the rest of my party pelted them with missiles. Of course, it doesn't protect him from being bitten to death. You can also use undead creatures this way, because they are immune to death gaze.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675

Protection from petrification is intended to prevent the effect, not remove it. I always cast it on my tank and moved him just into the view of the basilisk so that they would attack only him with their death gaze and the rest of my party pelted them with missiles. Of course, it doesn't protect him from being bitten to death. You can also use undead creatures this way, because they are immune to death gaze.

Baslisks use petrification gaze, death gaze is a unique feature of the demon thingy in Ulgoth's Beard
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Excuse me. I thought we were talking about the gaze from basilisks and beholders (bg2). Protection from petrification does not protect from "death gaze". It's possible that a deathward spell would protect you, but I don't think you can get that until bg2 anyways.

Sorry for the confusion. I will punish myself later as penance.
    I'm pretty sure death ward doesn' help. I am pretty sure I tried that. I usually end up using mirrored eyes potions because I don't always have protection from magic scrolls or potions at the time. You can buy mirrored eyes potions from the inn right there
    edited April 2013
    Samus said:

Yes, but I thought a Potion of Mirrored Eyes offers protection from petrification for 10 rounds?

It helps with that as well yes

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Dispel magic will remove the effect (if the caster has an decent level at least). Dispel arrows, when hit, always remove this status (and give some damage to the target also).
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Have high saving throws vs. death? High level Kagain and Montaron save against Aec'Letec all the time. Buff them up, keep everyone else ranged and spam wand of paralyzation.
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    It's quite misleading that when you cast Prot. from Petrification, the combat log says "Gaze Reflection". It should be removed in my opinion.

"Gaze Reflection" was the name of a spell in PnP which actually protected from all gaze attacks, but I guess BG changed it to Prot. from Petrification so that you can easily figure out, from the name of the spell alone, how to protect against basilisks (which were the only creatures with gaze attacks before Aec'Letec anyway).
    @Jace - So the spell really only protects from petrification, right? I'm completely confused why everyone seems to use it against Aec'Letec, who doesn't petrify...
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    I don't know why. Perhaps people saw "Gaze Reflection" in the combat log and assumed it would work against all gaze attacks, just like in PnP.

Or perhaps, in vanilla BG, the spell really did protect against death gaze, but the BG2 engine fixed or broke that functionality and reverted it to just protecting against petrification.

Or perhaps, somebody used it on Aec'Letec and got lucky with saving throws against death gaze, then erroneously concluded it was Prot. from Petrification the reason nobody got death gazed. Then it became something like an urban legend.
    I see. According to my urban legend, dwarves and halflings are immune to gaze attacks then. :D
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I totally forgot about the potions when I fought him in my last game. My cavalier was making saves consistantly against the gaze effect. My whole battle plan revolved around coping with death gaze without potions of mirror eyes. It was hard but now I feel totally bad-arsed.