Skip to content

Need help deciding my sixth

Hello all! Right now my party is: me (fighter/cleric), Imoen, Minsc, Neera, and Dynaheir. I'm not entirely sure who I should pick up to round party out. I was thinking Branwen (for healing) or Kivan (for murdering) but I can't decide.

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    If charname can handle all the healing, Kivan.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Oxford_Guy
  • Copastetic1985Copastetic1985 Member Posts: 277
    Like KidCarnival said, if you're handling all the buffs and heals, I'd take Kivan for a little extra "Omph". Otherwise, I'd go with Branwen.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Ajantis can help give you some beef up front and can add slightly more healing and buffs with his special ability's
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    edited April 2013
    I'd drop off Dynaheir in a building somewhere, then pick up Kivan and Coran. Dual Imoen to mage when you get Coran.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Bhaaldog said:

Coran perhaps?

Coran is a great archer and it's always useful to have a second thief, in my current game I duelled Imoen and Level 5, with Find Traps maxed, and have Coran focused on Open Locks and the stealth skills. Can be a a bit of a grind to get Imoen back to level 6 before tackling Cloakwood Mines, though
    [Deleted User]Iecerint
    Quartz
    I think Imoen is duallable at level 7 if you wanna, innit? Isn't that where she is in BG2?
    [Deleted User]
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    Oxford_Guy[Deleted User]SCARY_WIZARD
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Bhaaldog said:

Bhaaldog said:

Coran perhaps?

Coran is a great archer and it's always useful to have a second thief, in my current game I duelled Imoen and Level 5, with Find Traps maxed, and have Coran focused on Open Locks and the stealth skills. Can be a a bit of a grind to get Imoen back to level 6 before tackling Cloakwood Mines, though
    I found it was not too bad in my current play through, but I operate a 4-5 man party before the Cloakwood Mines
    Yes, it's certainly possible, but I had to do almost all of the pre-Cloakwood Mine areas, apart from Spiderwood (which I prefer to leave until later), before I was able to get her back to level 6.
    secretmantra
    @Bhaaldog

Indeed, my friend.
    [Deleted User]
  • InririInriri Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    Iecerint said:

I'd drop off Dynaheir in a building somewhere, then pick up Kivan and Coran. Dual Imoen to mage when you get Coran.

I'd like to do this, but wouldn't it render Minsc a mute outside of battle cries and whatnot? I don't think I care about his banters with Dynaheir, but I would be sad if I missed any interjections he has.

I think if I can do that, I'll take Branwen to be my medic (So I can focus on pumping myself up to silly levels and smash stuff) and Kivan (who will get replaced by Coran).

Oh, and thank you everyone for your responses!
    Well, I know it doesn't break his banters much if you have BG1NPC, but I don't know if it causes any problems in vanilla/EE...
    @Bhaaldog

She would make a great NPC companion. Perhaps I should do a portrait of her?
    [Deleted User]
  • InririInriri Member Posts: 3
    Be sure to share it with us!

secretmantra
    @Inriri

Will do! And thanks for the encouragement.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Kivan. Because he's a sexy murderer
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I like melee or heavy-hitters, so I'd agree with Kivan (alternate Ajantis). Yeslick would be great, too, but you'll have to wait for him.

See evil, Boo? Run, Boo, run!
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    I'd suggest Viconia (if you don't mind having an evil character in the party) or better yet, Yeslick as your healer. I like Branwen and all but both Viconia (for her high dexterity and 50% magic resistance) and Yeslick (for his fighter levels and thus more attacks per round, shorty saving throw bonuses, and innate dispel magic ability) would do the job of healer better and contribute more to the party in the long run.

Unless you plan to dual Imoen I'd stick with Kivan over Coran. I'm fairly certain that even with Corans higher dexterity his thief levels will give him less THAC0 late game compared to Kivan. Also, since Kivan has an 18 strength he is a viable option for close combat and he can use the composite bows, which Coran cannot with his measily strength (the lowest of all the "fighter-type" NPCs). However, if you don't mind having an evil character in the party Dorn will out damage both of these characters unless maybe you focus Coran on backstabbing (with his awesome 14 strength) but if you want to go that route Montaron or dual-classed Shar-Teel are way better options.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited April 2013
    GoodSteve said:

Unless you plan to dual Imoen I'd stick with Kivan over Coran. I'm fairly certain that even with Corans higher dexterity his thief levels will give him less THAC0 late game compared to Kivan.

No, actually.
    GoodSteve said:

Also, since Kivan has an 18 strength he is a viable option for close combat and he can use the composite bows, which Coran cannot with his measily strength (the lowest of all the "fighter-type" NPCs). However, if you don't mind having an evil character in the party Dorn will out damage both of these characters unless maybe you focus Coran on backstabbing (with his awesome 14 strength) but if you want to go that route Montaron or dual-classed Shar-Teel are way better options.

Much as I love Coran, thank you for having a brain and realizing that he is not without his hang-ups. His melee ability is abysmal unless you artificially increase his strength. Coran may be a better archer, but Kivan is not only a damn respectable archer in his own right but can hold his own in melee.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

AUGH soooo tempted to post a Tripping the Rift screenshot. ;___; No, SCARY. You can't.
    secretmantra
    @SCARY_WIZARD

Oh, you'd like to get me banned, wouldn't you? :^P
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

@SCARY_WIZARD

Oh, you'd like to get me banned, wouldn't you? :^P

Well, since it'd be me posting it, I'd get banned.

Uhh, anyways! Yes. I agree, Kivan is an excellent choice. I forgot what bow it was that I gave him in another playthrough, but he was a ranged monster with it. In the words of a girl I used to play WoW with, "twangurdead". I never really bothered with him and melee, but I will have to try that out!
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Great idea for new NPCs. Caprica 6 , and 7 of 9, and maybe Bo Derek 10 as a chaperone. There is something to say about going by the numbers.