Skip to content

[Bug] Too Many Points in Weapon Proficiency Permitted at Level 1

mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
edited September 2012 in Fixed
Another issue with using the BG2 engine in BG1.

The BG2 engine will allow a newly created fighter class player character to have four points of weapon proficiency in the same weapon at level 1. Originally BG1 only allowed up to two points to be put into a single weapon proficiency at the start of the game (despite the fighter having four points in total available); further points had to be added later while progressing in the game. The position in vanilla BG1 is more consistent with the AD&D second edition PnP rules, where the 3 higher levels of mastery could not be gained until higher character levels had been achieved.

There is no problem when the BG2 engine is used for BG2 itself, as the player character will be of a character level where he/she could have access to the higher weapon proficiency levels under the PnP rules. It was probably for this reason that the original designers never thought to address this issue.
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    but at the same time, the bg II weapon proficiency bonuses are way less than what they were in bg 1, in bg 1, 2 points would be +1 to hit/ +2 to damage, and four points in SoA is +2 to hit/ +2 to damage and -1 speed factor, sooooooooooo its not that much better although some people might just cap themselves at 2 just for that very fact though
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    Good find.

This is the 3rd post which recently shows why the BG2 engine is over powered for BG1 (low level) content. Hopefully they are going to ensure that the D&D rules properly apply to lower level characters since the game originally was not designed for them.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Considering BGT (and I guess Tutu, never used it) restricted proficiencies at level 1 and Ascencion64 (among other reknowned modders) is part of the beta-testing team, I'm sure it has been brought up already and probably included. Maybe @Bhryaen can confirm since I believe he has access to beta as well.
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    It doesn't appear to have been addressed in the version of EasyTutu I have installed (I didn't realise BGT picked up on it though), but it would be good if the issue was addressed in BG:EE.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    An answer to this may be pending... Stay tuned to your local BGEE Bugs Channel...
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Which channel and where?
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    Not much benefit for being a Fighter right out of the gate then. 2 points in a weapon is often plenty, and Rangers get 4 points starting a 2 points in TWF for free. Here I was counting the ability to start off specced as a feature (even then, I often split my 4 starting points between Sword & Board and a good 1 hander, since Sword & Board style + Girdle of Piercing + Splint Mail produces an uber-tank vs ranged weapons at low levels).

Oh darn, now people will complain we have weapon styles. :(
    This one has been addressed.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    @Bhryaen

I don't know if this applies for BG:EE but in Tutu and BGT when you start a Fighter/Mage you are able to select 7 spells for level 1 and put several points into weapon proficiencies. I don't know think this is right.
    @bigdogchris
    We wiped that bug from the windscreen a lot sooner than this one... ;-)