Skip to content

how melee damage works?

i am not new to baldur's gate or baldur's gate 2

but am i missing something?

str modifier + weapon damage + weapon specialization +kensai dmg= damage?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Hard to tell without numbers and examples... Where are you falling short (or long I guess)?

That formula looks about right though.
    What you may be missing is that the kensai bonus is not shown as part of the calculation in the inventory/character screen damage gauge. Take my kensai for instance:

mourning star +1 does a base 2-8 damage; add 1 damage for the enchantment to damage the star has and we get 3-9 damage; add 3 damage for my current proficiency level in flails/stasrs and we get 6-12 damage; add 7 damage for my 19 strength and we get 13-19 damage; Then we add the kensai bonus of 1 damage for level 5 kensai (this bonus is never listed in the inventory/character page gauge's calculation) and we end up with a damage of 14-20 which is what is listed.

Now if you want things to get really crazy I will show you a little discovery I made about a certain star.

Kiel's star does a base 2-8 damage; add 3 for enhancement to damage makes 5-11; add 3 for my proficiency in flails/stars and we get 8-15; add 7 for strength (still 19) and we get 15-21; now we add a kensai bonus of 2 damage (he's level 8 now) and we get 17-23 which is listed. Seems like we are done right? Wrong! When we activate Kai and attack Imoen (Difficulty at core rules. No damage modifier from that.) this happens:

Why does he do 25 damage now?! The damage gauge still says 17-23! Well to be honest I am not sure. But I will tell you this much: The only other weapon in the game that I have observed with this mysterious +2 to damage is the two handed sword of cursed berserking. I'll let you do the math. (Perhaps @CamDawg can confirm the connection.)

Phew!
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    The berserked state adds +2 to hit and damage.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    Tresset said:

What you may be missing is that the kensai bonus is not shown as part of the calculation in the inventory/character screen damage gauge. Take my kensai for instance:

mourning star +1 does a base 2-8 damage; add 1 damage for the enchantment to damage the star has and we get 3-9 damage; add 3 damage for my current proficiency level in flails/stasrs and we get 6-12 damage; add 7 damage for my 19 strength and we get 13-19 damage; Then we add the kensai bonus of 1 damage for level 5 kensai (this bonus is never listed in the inventory/character page gauge's calculation) and we end up with a damage of 14-20 which is what is listed.

Now if you want things to get really crazy I will show you a little discovery I made about a certain star.

Kiel's star does a base 2-8 damage; add 3 for enhancement to damage makes 5-11; add 3 for my proficiency in flails/stars and we get 8-15; add 7 for strength (still 19) and we get 15-21; now we add a kensai bonus of 2 damage (he's level 8 now) and we get 17-23 which is listed. Seems like we are done right? Wrong! When we activate Kai and attack Imoen (Difficulty at core rules. No damage modifier from that.) this happens:

Why does he do 25 damage now?! The damage gauge still says 17-23! Well to be honest I am not sure. But I will tell you this much: The only other weapon in the game that I have observed with this mysterious +2 to damage is the two handed sword of cursed berserking. I'll let you do the math. (Perhaps @CamDawg can confirm the connection.)

Phew!
    thanks man and good work!
    CamDawg said:

The berserked state adds +2 to hit and damage.

Thought it was that.