Skip to content

At which experience levels does the game seem most enjoyable?

The game feels very different when your playing at low or high experience point levels. I guess they can be referred to as low, medium, high and very high.

1.What levels do you enjoy most playing at and why?

2. If a new game was to be designed with the BG engine with the BGEE modifications, would you want it to start at level 1 or carry on beyond the levels that will be reached in BG2EE?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    Level 1 is the best for me. You always have to be on your toes or a random kobold can kill you =).

I do enjoy all the other levels as well, ofcourse, but as soon as you have enough hitpoints to survive a crit hit, the adrenalin level goes down.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,158
    Samus said:

atcDave said:

Levels 4-8 or so works best for me. From way back, I think of that as middle level.

But I really do enjoy a wide range, well to a point. Above 15 or so starts feeling silly to me.

I very much like starting at level 1. First level characters are fragile, but earning those first couple levels is a blast and always feels momentous. I wouldn't trade that for anything.

Totally agree. The first few levels are challenging. Once you hit between level 4-8 you are strong but things can still be a challenge. I think things are generally fine until you (the whole party) get above level 20, then I think things go down hill... oddly enough in ToB *whistles*
    Yeah once you hit ToB it is less engaging to me. The HLAs just don't feel like AD&D at all to me, I really don't like them much. And the god making part of the game isn't my thing at all.
    Now that said, I do have some fun with ToB, it just isn't my favorite part of the game.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    I think I prefer the higher levels. Thats when combat starts to get fun. But playing bg1 then switching to tob is really hard as each range of levels requires you to know different tactics.

I would really enjoy Bg3 to start at level 1 than by the the end of the game your somewhere between 16 and 20.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507

I think I prefer the higher levels. Thats when combat starts to get fun. But playing bg1 then switching to tob is really hard as each range of levels requires you to know different tactics.

I would really enjoy Bg3 to start at level 1 than by the the end of the game your somewhere between 16 and 20.

I agree with you in that that I would like to see BG3 started at level 1. As @Lindeblom implies, that high adrenalin level kick at the start due to the fact that the PC can be killed with a misstep or just bad luck is pretty thrilling. I think this may be one of the reasons why (aside from trying out new kits) players are so willing to roll up a new game (and try their luck again) after their last one fails or bogs down.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I enjoy advancing through the ranks from very low levels all the way to very high levels. I appreciate low levels where even a kobold can kill you with one hit, but I also like to explore and gain in power. I would get very VERY bored if I was relegated to only ever being able to fight sewer rats.

I have only completed ToB once and am not sure if that is because of the silliness of ridiculously high levels or not. I remember playing Secret of the Silver blades and finding that the most satisfying of the Gold Box games. I also remember hating Pools of Darkness because then it became just stupid with how tough things had to be just to be fun.

At the end of the day, I love playing mages. They really don't become powerful and useful in a wide variety of circumstances until they get into the 10s. So based on that, my 'Favorite' would probably be 10-18 or so. I think that getting to 20 is reasonable but it should be the very VERY end of the game and only in service of facing the 'Ultimate' baddie.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I prefer the early teen levels. You have enough abilities to enable a wide variety of tactics to be used. But you aren't so powerful that everything becomes very easy.
  • zzCoinszzCoins Member Posts: 13
    Middle, level 8-14
    At high level magic is too important, at low level it is useless. In the middle you can use a variety of tactics which makes the fight more fun
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Like many others, I enjoy the middle levels 6-12. Heck, SoA and ToB are beatable using a lvl 8/9 party.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    God Tier:
    6 12
    High Tier:
    2 3 5 10 11
    Mid Tier:
    1 4 7 8 13 14
    Low Tier
    9 15 16
    Shit Tier:
    17+
    @ajwz. I haven't had my coffee yet this morning. Had to work late. I'm looking at your numbers and I realize that I'm not John Nash. Please explain.
    bbear said:

Like many others, I enjoy the middle levels 6-12. Heck, SoA and ToB are beatable using a lvl 8/9 party.

I'd love to hear you expand on why you think SoA and ToB can beaten with a lvl 8/9 party. I think I have something to learn.

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Love starting at level 1 but something like NWN2 that more or less gives you the first few levels before dropping you into the "real thing" is ok with me too - after mid teens things start to decay for me and continue downhill from there - so level 1 through 16ish probably.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,158
    Pluc082 said:

My favorite level up it's at level 2. Why? You double your HP!

No doubt it's the biggest level up of your career! Although third is a pretty big deal too for most classes.
    edited April 2013
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I like to be around levels 7-8 - even though you have acquired good items and spells, you still need to work out some tactics to beat the challenges.
    @Pluc082. If you play Core Rules you might sometimes be very disappointed. Recently, I had a Mage go up to lvl 2 and role full hit points +4. Then my really robust fighter rolled a 1. The rest of the party looked at him as if he had spent too much of his time studying ballet instead of melee.

But I get your point. You tend to breathe a sigh of relief that your characters can't be killed with one blow once they've gone up to lvl 2.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    For BG level 2-6 as the game is challenging around those levels.
    At level 1 too much stuff can one-hit you and isn't fun (I don't mind one-hit kills but it should be manageable which it isn't at level 1).
    After 6 it becomes too much of hack & slash, with the occasional good encounter.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It depends on the part composition and character class/kit. Especially since some start out more capable than others.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    on a somewhat related note, this week's wtf d&d? on somethingawful talks about the ridiculousness of epic levels in discussing The Immortals Handbook: Epic Bestiary. One of the entries is this guy.. THE ULTIMATE ONE. (yes the font is awful)
    and the guys riff about "yeah, the first 110 levels were a grind, but now that I'm 117th level vampire fighter I can look back on all the hard work and think to myself, you're the ultimate one."
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Can the ultimate one withstand the cleric spell sunray? It does like 1000+ dmg to undead.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    bbear said:

Can the ultimate one withstand the cleric spell sunray? It does like 1000+ dmg to undead.

Would his speed factor be so great that he could kill you before you could cast the spell?
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    The next level.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited April 2013
    So when I talk about BECMI D&D, I really only like the BECM part, preferring BE part, because I results in The Ultimate One. :|

That said...
    1) I much prefer levels 1 - 9~12. You're fresh out of training, and ready to utilize your skills to change the world! Obstacles are real. Death is a thing that happens, and you have to be lucky to avoid it, at first. Magical items? A great boon. The Town Sheriff? He's a seasoned veteran who fought in a war against the goblins, but in the World of Abstractions, he's a 2nd level Fighter, and he needs your help. What could give him pause?

Once you've struggled enough, and if you're one of the lucky ones, you can become even more powerful than the Sheriff. After many long months and years of trials, you become feared or respected enough that you can get some land and followers, maybe! People want to live in this land, because you've got what it takes to protect them; most monsters fear you, but most of them know that working together, they can take you down and get a name for themselves as the ones that took the Dagorlad the Troll-Slayer, or whatever, down. But just the same, you might be attracting some small degree of cosmic attention, or otherwise attracting attention that you really might not want to attract...those orcs you helped the elves drive out of their forests? They were after an old artifact that would help their High Priest ressurect the demi-god of their race and fulfill some prophecy or the other.

After something like one of the more powerful outsiders is given pause by you, that's when I start going "Hah! Right.". Then again, it's all in how the story is told, with me.

2) Ehh, start me out at level 1, please. I don't want to roflstomp things like Pale Night, or something without even a True Name...
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2013
    I'm now reacquainting myself with BG2 again after about a 5 year hiatus, and I have to say that it's kind of off-putting to me to go through Irenicus dungeon and find magic items to be almost raining from the sky. For me it tends to cheapen the aura of wonder to magic.*

I do appreciate the scaling of difficulty in BG2 for its level 7-20-something play to require lots of magic items. And I can have fun playing SoA.

ToB is to me ridiculous, but that's just my own taste, and I respect if others find it a blast to play, well, literally, a demi-god. I can see how the tactical challenges of that high level play can be fun for others. Just not my cup of tea.

And this is not to say that over the years I haven't enjoyed many a BGT game. There's something satisfying about taking a character through the entire saga.

But I will always prefer the level 1-9 play of BG1 to BG2. (Level 1-7 unmodded or with just SCS, level 1-9 with lots of mods installed.) Reasons why it's fun have already been well stated in this thread.

* This has recently been reinforced to me by playing a BG:EE game where I'm roleplaying all the characters (very in-depth) and using a deck of playing cards and a dice roller to determine a lot of things that I would otherwise ordinarily meta-game by rote (here). I've come across far less magic items that way. So then when you get a magical item it really means a lot. I like a lot of variety to my gaming, so I wouldn't want to do this all the time. But I'm really enjoying it.
    @Lemernis. I've noticed that you are very much involved with increasing the level of Chance in your games, to see if the player can deal with what Fate has dealt him. I like it a lot. It definitely increases the amount of tension in the air, and introduces a refreshing variety that keeps the game young and appealing.