Skip to content

Download and Boxed edition

MFakaNemoMFakaNemo Member Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
I am wondering, if there is any hardcore-nerd like me, who wants to have this great BG:EE not only as download, but also with Old-Skool-Package.

I am a collector of all the old stuff as well, a collector in general. so my question is: will BG: EE be also shipped with a package, like we know it from the game in 1998? i do not really like that cold, anonymous download file, for which i pay money. I really would like to have something physical, which i can place next to my other game packages and books in my flat.
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• ScofieldScofield Member Posts: 119
    Agree, I would even pay more for a collector's edition, but any boxed release would be nice and appreciated.
  • MFakaNemoMFakaNemo Member Posts: 4
    so, dear BG:EE producers .. will there be a boxed version available for purchase?
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    yes, i know. in negotiations .. but .. for how long? this is the question.
    but anyway.. i think i will buy the digital download. i mean, i have all these great boxes here at home on the top of my furniture :)
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited August 2012
    There already are two threads about this:

Limited Edition Boxed Set: ideas and brainstorming
    What would you like to see in a box edition?

I'll summon @Tanthalas, just in case he saw fit to make one thread of these three. Or something.

EDIT: actually, here is another thread about the same topic. Physical edition.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited August 2012
    Merge in progress

Edit: Actually, I'll leave this one alive in the PC subforum.
  • maethormaethor Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012
    I'm a huge fan of the Baldur's Gate series, and planning to buy it both for PC and iPad. However the only option for buying the game on PC is through the Beamdog homepage. I'm a sucker for boxed editions, and especially when it's my favorite game of all time. It doesn't matter if it costs more than the digital version, but I would really want some clarification on whether there is going to be a boxed edition or not as rumors has it. Would be awesome...:)
    Guys seriously, why do you keep doing this? LOL

@Tanthalas, would you happen to have the link to the merged threads handy so you could merge this one too? Maybe we should make that one sticky to increase its visibility.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    It'll have to wait until after I get my rest.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    You may not rest here "!!!!!!!
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    This would suck big time if there wouldn't be a boxed edition.
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    It would be amazing to have a boxed edition theres nothing quite like lifting of the front off, the satisfying smell and inside all you cd's rattling about.
  • KelvrynKelvryn Member Posts: 44
    boxed edition would be nice, but i'll take a card with a product code and a download link like a gametime card for thoes of us without credit cards.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

The boxed copy is completely stalled in negotiations. At this time, I don't think it will happen :-(
    :-(
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    :/ just saw this, that is too bad... if nothing else, i will buy some usb sticks and make them a permanent hosts for any overhauls infinity EE games.

i think we can still hope- if this will be a reasonable success- to get a DIAMOND EDITION, boxed copy BG:EE and BG2:EE. we'll see...
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Can we expect to see fanart boxes now? matchbox should be about large enough for a USB.
    @Moomintroll - lol!
  • SacherySachery Member Posts: 33
    I hope they make box version. I dont mind pay 3 times of the digital version. Like the old good games with a nice size manual to read in.
  • Jim83Jim83 Member Posts: 1
    100% agree with you Sachery, & personaly i think this download idea is way overrated.
  • BelgarathBelgarath Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2012
    Maybe we can convince the Wizards of the Coast to release the AD&D Second rule book (the one the game is based) at a pocket size or some kind of special edition for the revival of BG. It would be great to see such a product when you open the Collectors box set.

I have paid for almost any edition they published so I don't think that money is the matter for the gamers...

On the other hand money IS the matter between companies. Sometimes that legal-copy-write mambo jumbo drive me berserk! :)

This game (code and design) should be taught in gaming programming-design schools.

HOW LOUD I HAVE TO SHOUT TO BE HEARD. I BEG ALL COMPANIES TRYING TO REVIVE THIS EPIC GAMES. PLEASE FIND A WAY TO BYPASS THE LEGALITIES. GIVE THE YOUNG KIDS AND OLD WOLVES LIKE US THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXPLORE THE FORGOTTEN REALMS ONCE AGAIN. I AM SURE THAT YOUR EFFORTS WILL BE EMBRACED BY THE GAMERS. DON'T HOLD BACK!!!

PS, Sorry for shouting. For a moment I think Sarevok Anchev took control of my mind... ;)
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    You're welcome guys.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    MFakaNemo said:

I am wondering, if there is any hardcore-nerd like me, who wants to have this great BG:EE not only as download, but also with Old-Skool-Package.

I am a collector of all the old stuff as well, a collector in general. so my question is: will BG: EE be also shipped with a package, like we know it from the game in 1998? i do not really like that cold, anonymous download file, for which i pay money. I really would like to have something physical, which i can place next to my other game packages and books in my flat.

I am a diehard fan of the Baldur's Gate saga, and I was actually preparing to drop over $100 for a possible collector's edition...and then I saw the staggeringly low price for pre-ordering! While I would very much like to have a physical copy of the game (Generally, I only seek physical copies of favoured games of mine. I leave the rest to digital.), I am perfectly OK with there only being a digital version, at least for the time being. Between the ease of access/installation (No shipping or finding a CD, if one is more prone to losing belongings) and the gleefully low cost, I will likely be gifting both this game and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition to all of my friends that have a sincere interest in it.

Short version: Yes, I'd love to have a boxed edition, and I would purchase both a regular and a Collector's, if offered.

@Anduine -your friends are lucky to have you (do not forget to mention that to them whenever opportunity presents itself).
  • ShadowShadow Member Posts: 20
    It would be a hard sell in many of the countries where the 4-in-1-box edition came out. As I type this I have one next to me.

I would personally buy the Enhanced Edition Physical edition but for your average gamer they will probably go for the better deal.
  • DuranDuran Member Posts: 15
    If there was a collectors or even a box edition would have the Fry moment of Shut up and take my money.
  • powerfulallypowerfulally Member Posts: 261
    What about they start negotiations about Baldur's Gate Saga Collector's Edition that would contain both BGEE and BG2:EE? I guess they have more time for that now.
    yay, funny to see what my started thread has grown to :)

i only can repeat what i said - i love the physical ones. it is some days ago, where i bought the original game package in brown and the Tales of the Swoard Coast package in light blue, even i destroyed that things earlier. but now the collection is completed, next to my IWD, IWD2, PC:T, BG2, NWN packages..

now i have started to re-collect my old DOS Games, hehe

btt: yep, give me a boxed edition, and we are fine.