Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

how melee damage works?

i am not new to baldur's gate or baldur's gate 2

but am i missing something?

str modifier + weapon damage + weapon specialization +kensai dmg= damage?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 7,741
    Hard to tell without numbers and examples... Where are you falling short (or long I guess)?

That formula looks about right though.

What you may be missing is that the kensai bonus is not shown as part of the calculation in the inventory/character screen damage gauge. Take my kensai for instance:

mourning star +1 does a base 2-8 damage; add 1 damage for the enchantment to damage the star has and we get 3-9 damage; add 3 damage for my current proficiency level in flails/stasrs and we get 6-12 damage; add 7 damage for my 19 strength and we get 13-19 damage; Then we add the kensai bonus of 1 damage for level 5 kensai (this bonus is never listed in the inventory/character page gauge's calculation) and we end up with a damage of 14-20 which is what is listed.

Now if you want things to get really crazy I will show you a little discovery I made about a certain star.

Kiel's star does a base 2-8 damage; add 3 for enhancement to damage makes 5-11; add 3 for my proficiency in flails/stars and we get 8-15; add 7 for strength (still 19) and we get 15-21; now we add a kensai bonus of 2 damage (he's level 8 now) and we get 17-23 which is listed. Seems like we are done right? Wrong! When we activate Kai and attack Imoen (Difficulty at core rules. No damage modifier from that.) this happens:

Why does he do 25 damage now?! The damage gauge still says 17-23! Well to be honest I am not sure. But I will tell you this much: The only other weapon in the game that I have observed with this mysterious +2 to damage is the two handed sword of cursed berserking. I'll let you do the math. (Perhaps @CamDawg can confirm the connection.)

Phew!

Necomancer
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,397
    The berserked state adds +2 to hit and damage.

• zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,358
    Tresset said:

What you may be missing is that the kensai bonus is not shown as part of the calculation in the inventory/character screen damage gauge. Take my kensai for instance:

mourning star +1 does a base 2-8 damage; add 1 damage for the enchantment to damage the star has and we get 3-9 damage; add 3 damage for my current proficiency level in flails/stasrs and we get 6-12 damage; add 7 damage for my 19 strength and we get 13-19 damage; Then we add the kensai bonus of 1 damage for level 5 kensai (this bonus is never listed in the inventory/character page gauge's calculation) and we end up with a damage of 14-20 which is what is listed.

Now if you want things to get really crazy I will show you a little discovery I made about a certain star.

Kiel's star does a base 2-8 damage; add 3 for enhancement to damage makes 5-11; add 3 for my proficiency in flails/stars and we get 8-15; add 7 for strength (still 19) and we get 15-21; now we add a kensai bonus of 2 damage (he's level 8 now) and we get 17-23 which is listed. Seems like we are done right? Wrong! When we activate Kai and attack Imoen (Difficulty at core rules. No damage modifier from that.) this happens:

Why does he do 25 damage now?! The damage gauge still says 17-23! Well to be honest I am not sure. But I will tell you this much: The only other weapon in the game that I have observed with this mysterious +2 to damage is the two handed sword of cursed berserking. I'll let you do the math. (Perhaps @CamDawg can confirm the connection.)

Phew!
    thanks man and good work!

CamDawg said:

The berserked state adds +2 to hit and damage.

Thought it was that.