Skip to content

What's your most disappointing enhancement in bg:ee

Comments

• FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    I think Neeras romance was kinda short, I finished it and I am only half way through the main story, and havent done much exploring.

Also, the pathing IS better, but its still bad. After playing more recent games it is quite annoying.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

The areas tied to NPCs is a big one. I'm not totally opposed to the idea, but there should be alternative ways to the areas. The Gnoll Stronghold is sort of Minsc's and Edwin's quest map, too, but you can go there without even talking to them and still complete the quest. I also wouldn't mind so much if all NPC quests/areas triggered as early as Neera's. The real problem is that the two others have to wait for access to the city.

Also the loot from the quests. Neera is the exception - Stone Skin isn't unique to this quest (the amulet is, but that's minor loot) and due to her quest triggering very early. Rasaad and Dorn both have items not related to their class in any way stuck in their quest line, including the irony of Dorn's quest having one of the better bastard swords; Ajantis proficiency, and Ajantis leaving the party if Dorn joins. I don't play good and rarely have Ajantis in my parties, so it's not bothering me personally, but seriously, what the hell?
    Neera's issue is the joining sequence and being an immersion breaker by giving me the choice "roleplay or gem bag". It's great there are containers in BGEE, but they shouldn't be in a NPC's possession.

Things that have not been mentioned yet:

How Dorn's romance was handled - absolutely no restrictions whatsoever. It seems lazy and a way too easy "solution" to make him a one size fits all deal; while his alignment and story is a complete mismatch for good aligned parties. I really hope this will be handled better in BG2EE.

Supposedly neutral Neera's first appearance giving evil parties no option to do the "evil" thing. I wish this had been handled like Garrick and Silke, where it is possible to side with Silke.

@KidCarnival if I could make sweet, passionate love to your posts I would. Agreed completely, and thank you especially for the Bastard Sword/Ajantis/Dorn comment, I thought I was the ONLY one who noticed that.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    @Quartz: I first noticed that it's ironic to put the paladin's sword in the blackguard's quest. Then I read that Ajantis leaves the party if you accept Dorn and double facepalmed. I thought putting the Elven Chain in Dorn's quest for absolutely no reason was silly; this certainly beats it. Just another reason why I would have wished the new quests were handled like the old ones. Simmeon isn't on a new map, he could just ambush a group without Dorn with no in depth explanation (they are mercenaries, there are bounties on your head...), like Coran's mini quest in the city. You can turn in the book of curses without him, you just miss a bit backstory.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited April 2013
    What I don't like is more of a general nature than one more specific enhancement. I did start the game in november, but are now waiting to play for after all the BGEE did not make most mods superfluent. It still needs to be modded extensively to be enjoyable. NPC1-Project is still a must-have to get banter from the original NPC's, the amount of magic items and cheapness of store prices is still overpowered without Hard Times, battles too easy without Sword Coast Stratagems, BG2Tweaks is still needed for tweaking the game the way you like it. Rogue Rebalancing needed for enjoyable rogues and I'm probably forgetting one or two right now.

And everyone on the forum is talking about a game I don't know about, because when I start the game I get bored quickly because it's too easy without Hard Times/SCS and boring without NPC1Project. Bweh.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Agreed with many others before me;

1) All the additional content being tied to the NPC's, and deep into their questlines.
    2) Very useful items (Elven Chain, Gem Bag, etc) being tied to these NPC's. A fun but non-essential weapon like the Stupefier is found in a random chest, but the only real armour for bards and fighter/mages is found deep into the questline of the Butcher of Luskan. The other way around would have been more appropriate.
    3) Not a lot of banters. Not between the Bioware NPC's, I can understand the how and why there, but even with the new NPC's, talks were very limited. I understand that you don't want them to stand out, but I'd rather they stand out because of extra content than dissappoint because of a lack.

That said, I love the EE, the lack of loading screens and fancied up graphics make me very happy and the personalities of the NPC's are awesome. These are three "aw shucks" things but they're not dealbreakers. Something to keep in mind for the future though.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571

What I don't like is more of a general nature than one more specific enhancement. I did start the game in november, but are now waiting to play for after all the BGEE did not make most mods superfluent. It still needs to be modded extensively to be enjoyable. NPC1-Project is still a must-have to get banter from the original NPC's, the amount of magic items and cheapness of store prices is still overpowered without Hard Times, battles too easy without Sword Coast Stratagems, BG2Tweaks is still needed for tweaking the game the way you like it. Rogue Rebalancing needed for enjoyable rogues and I'm probably forgetting one or two right now.

And everyone on the forum is talking about a game I don't know about, because when I start the game I get bored quickly because it's too easy without Hard Times/SCS and boring without NPC1Project. Bweh.

@Son_of_Imoen Not to sound harsh, but do you even find the vanilla games enjoyable? With so many mods it doesn't even sound like BG anymore. Again, not trying to sound like a jackass, but asking sincerely.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited April 2013
    Wiggles said:

@Son_of_Imoen Not to sound harsh, but do you even find the vanilla games enjoyable? With so many mods it doesn't even sound like BG anymore. Again, not trying to sound like a jackass, but asking sincerely.

Yes, I play the old Baldur's Gate heavily modded as well. I played vanilla once and got bored once I got to BG City, as I become so über-powerful nothing was a challenge anymore. Been playing with Hard Times and SCS ever since. What made BG a great game to me is for 1/3rd-1/2 because of all the great things the modding community had done by the time I got to know the game. And now of course the modding community needs time to catch up with BGEE. It's like the beginning of BG vanilla again a bit (as far as I can judge from internet archives): lots of kits, items, npc's, small tweaks, while the bigger mods take longer to realise.

Maybe I'm a spoiled brat ;-).

• IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Aedan said:

I do not like the new GUI because it is terribly BLURRED.

Thankfully, we have @Archaic to fix that.

But to answer the question. Well, @bdeonovic already ninja'd (hours earlier!;p) me to it. But it's not really disappointed-disappointed.
    bdeonovic said:

Not sure if someone has mentioned this but my one and only dissapointment has been that they could not locate the original artwork (and therefore not being able to enhance the graphics)

• mforwwmforww Member Posts: 78
    The only complaint I have is that multiplayer matchmaking still isn't done. What's up with that????

But other than that, I like all of the enhancements. I also disagree with there being a big problem about certain areas being tied to NPC's... if you don't like the NPC's and won't use them, why do you care about access to their personal quest areas? If it's just for the loot, then I don't really get it (I'm not a powergamer).

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2013
    Rann said:

... I'd have to say Rasaad could use improvements. Low-level monks, IMO, really have the deck stacked against them, and in my campaigns, poor Rasaad always ends up on the sidelines to remain alive....

Rasaad isn't as completely awful as many assert, if he is used to his maximum potential. I don't think there is any question, though, that he is the weakest NPC of the entire lot.

Myself, I actually love the challenge of taking the least powerful NPCs and figuring out how to use them to their fullest potential. So in that aspect, plus Rassad being well voice acted and fairly interesting personality/backstory/personal quest-wise... and I guess, overall, that he is just so offbeat for this game... actually makes him (for me) an enjoyable character. Am I going to use him every time? Lol, no. But every so often he's fun to include, for me anyway.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    mforww said:

if you don't like the NPC's and won't use them, why do you care about access to their personal quest areas? If it's just for the loot, then I don't really get it (I'm not a powergamer).

Same reason as feeling a creeping despair when you play something other than a thief and can't get the gem in Candlekeep. You know it is there. It makes you feel you're missing out on something. Now, the gem isn't that bad, it's just some more gold (which you don't really need at that point). But areas mean content and roleplay potential.

• hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    I really like the GUI, except for the zoom function. I don't use it at all. I never think about it, it never seems necessary to me (granted, I only play on a laptop with 1366x768 res).

Adoy's map is boring and worthless. I like Neera, I don't like her quest.

I've not tried the other two quests yet.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Is lack of voiceovers for non-english languages considered as a "enhancement"? Because if so, it is most dissapointing for now.

Besides of that, there is hardly any new content, plus there are still weapons proficences that are not viable due of lacking good items. No point in using spears or throwing daggers, for example.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,194
    edited April 2013
    New GUI. For me GUI was a bust. It should have been *the* representation of enhanced edition. It's the very first thing everyone sees, and it's ugly. So instead of an enhancement, there is a need for a must-have mod. Very disappointing.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    I'm not a fan of the half orc paper dolls, I prefer the BG2 ones, they just seem more like bloated humans than half orcs.
  • NeonfiskNeonfisk Member Posts: 75
    I miss the cutscene of a wyvern flying away with a cow
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    not an enhancement but i was under the impression we would get subraces, im sure they said that somewere its absence is the most dissapointing thing to me with BGEE

i also miss beregosts cutscene alot it always used to bemy favourate

i also get annoyed by elven chains location you have to go through a large part of the game to get it and also have to take dorn which is annoying if u dont want a blackguard running around with you

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    The sub-races this was a (very popular) rumour that derived from the devs saying we would have new classes and races, by which they probably meant the BG2 kits and half-orc, but which was taken to mean drowdrowdrowdrowdrowdrowdrowdrowdrow by a bunch of people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    My guess is that if they add them it'll be post-BG2EE, as a patch for both games.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    You can actually turn them into Tieflings at the moment (it will show up on your character sheet), but I don't think it has any bonuses associated with it. I might be wrong. Most other races just leave a blank space on the record screen at present though.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Alright, i'll be honest.

What i didn't like :

1) The general direction of the enhancement. I won't dwelve into this, since we talked about it before, and many others have said it. So i'll just say that i was disappointed that the company(for whatever reasons-including tight budget), was unable to enhance the graphics of the game.

2) The fact that certain new items were really weirdly placed. Specifically, certain items were tied to the new NPC areas, and could not be reached without them in the party.

However, what i didn't like most, was specifically the Magma Bulwark +2. Very very nice colours, i admit, kudos for that, but, it's in the literal end of the game, it's a plate mail +2, worse than practical defense or plate of the dark, and the only new plate armor item.

You could avoid making the only new plate item in the game appear in the end, while worse than the equivalents. Since we lose our gear for chateau Irenicus anyway, i don't see a point in this armor at all. And even if we keep it for BG2, we won't keep it for long, there are better armors there available soon. So it was supposed to be something you enjoy for your "low level journey". The fact that it looks better than all other armors thanks to the nice glowing tricks you did, adds salt to the injury ;x (by the way, do use some flashy colours like that and tricks for bg2:ee armors as well, it was very nice).

Again, i have to say, that while i didn't like the location you chose for it, i love the look you gave it. More of that please :p

I wasn't particularly thrilled about other enhancements as well, but i'm not going to talk about them right now. I find many of them however, redundant, although some are nice.
  • LoremasterLoremaster Member Posts: 212
    I don’t like the Black Pits. The devs wasted valuable time and resources on something that is not really part of the game.

I had hoped for more customization options, the lack of different components for the difficulty setting is one thing. Autopause on inventory screen is another, such thing should definitely have an on/off button.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    I'm going to second these two criticisms.

1. Having the new areas tied to the new NPCs and having the Black Pits as a separate adventure. The Ulgoth's Beard method of adding an additional quest hub on the map is really the way to go. I've elaborated on this topic here...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/297610/#Comment_297610

2. Lack of Compliment/Insult/Special lines for the new NPCs. I honestly could do without the textbox banters if there was just three voiced banter lines for Rasaad, Neera, Dorn and that other guy. Introducing the textbox banters in BG1 really overshadows the original NPCs, by adding in all that detail it's ended up making the vanilla NPCs seem even more basic than before. It would fit in perfectly with BG2:EE but for BG1:EE it just creates unevenness. Of course this wouldn't have been a problem if it weren't for that meddling contract.

I would have preferred it if Rasaad, Neera, Dorn and that other guy were just cameos or really basic NPCs, leaving most of their story for the plot heavy BG2:EE. Just like how Edwin, Jaheira, etc... were really undeveloped until they returned in BG2. While the extra content for BG1:EE came in the form of new dungeons and standalone quests. I've played through the game 5 times now but I've only ever brought Dorn with me, so I've missed out on alot of the new content just because of my preference for certain NPCs.

But aside from those two points, I can't think of anything else to criticize.