Skip to content

What is the funnest way to play the game?

2»

Comments

• LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Bhaaldog said:

Naked...

You or Viconia?

...or maybe both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    It's gonna be fun to play BGEE with the main character being a vanilla class mage or a thief or a bard (unkitted). The unkitted character will give you the sweet feeling of nostalgia. Especially if you take a canon good party (Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsk, Dynaheir) or a canon evil party (Xzar, Montaron, Edwin, Kagain, Viconia). An pretend you're in 90-s....

On the other hand, it's really fun to play BGEE with the class (kit) that wasn't there not only in BG1 but in BG2 also. Right now, I lead a Shadowdancer through the Cloakwood and it's really an unmatched experience for me - to be able to hide during the battle without retreating. Sneak attacks are fun for me.
    A Shadowdancer simply has no alternative in BG1.

And to develop an innovative approach I have Neera and Dorn in my party - it was impossible to imagine both of their kits in the vanilla game.

So, tastes differ really but you can have fun in many ways.

The only thing I'm certain at is a no-reload (or at least minimal reload) run brings many unmatched feelings and some unique experience.
  • cyberhoracyberhora Member Posts: 10
    I always have the most fun when i roll a sorc. The way they work makes them feel more personal and unique then any other class. Ranger/Cleric is another one that is really fun but for slightly different reasons.

As for party members i always want to have atleast two that can follow me all the way through( Edwin, Viccy, Jaheira, Minsc, imoen and now the 3 new). It always feels nice at the end of tob if some of your compainions have been around for the whole journey from an unknown adventurer to legend.
  • FidlrFidlr Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2013
    Well for fun, nothing beats the Wild mage imo. The randomness that will occur is priceless. More utility than a Sorc, and imo the most powerful class in the game. Just pure fun and awesomeness
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited April 2013
    playing the game nekkid totally drunk screaming all the minsc battle cries loud out your window....

with a towel like a turban on your head of course!!!
  • cyberhoracyberhora Member Posts: 10
    Fidlr said:

Well for fun, nothing beats the Wild mage imo. The randomness that will occur is priceless. More utility than a Sorc, and imo the most powerful class in the game. Just pure fun and awesomeness

I often forget how fun wild mages can be, and it was about time someone reminded me. I fetched neera for my current run and i'm pretty sure what i will roll for the next run.

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Well, I used to have this GF who, when I was playing a video game she would get down and .......um.... contribute...... ahem... in a very distracting and enjoyable manner. Anyway, that was the funnest way I can think of playing. But that is just me.

Beyond that, I'd say that after more play-throughs than I care to even think of, I'd say the best way to have fun with the game itself is to try new and different things. That "For me" would range from switching up/trying new companions to different equipment configurations etc... Basically leveraging the vast variety of variabilities in the game to make it new and interesting.
  • FidlrFidlr Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2013

Well, I used to have this GF who, when I was playing a video game she would get down and .......um.... contribute...... ahem... in a very distracting and enjoyable manner. Anyway, that was the funnest way I can think of playing. But that is just me.

Beyond that, I'd say that after more play-throughs than I care to even think of, I'd say the best way to have fun with the game itself is to try new and different things. That "For me" would range from switching up/trying new companions to different equipment configurations etc... Basically leveraging the vast variety of variabilities in the game to make it new and interesting.

Casting protection from evil on minsc, wild surge roll, minsc gets turned in to a squirrel. Now him and Boo are both gerbils. And they lived happily ever after
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123
    edited April 2013
    DreadKhan said:

Well, shar also is pretty smart yet unwise, meaning funny convos! Also, has a cute portrait... if not about to murder a man for the crime of being, uh, male. Average cha and low wis might make her more moldable if your pc is into that.

Or hey, maybe he likes seeing her beat up men for him? ;)

Well, he keeps her because she nearly killed Kagain with a single blow during their duel, amongst other things! She is the best warrior he has ever layed his eyes on (barring maybe Minsc, though having killed Dynaheir for Edwin, Neldoc doesn't feel like it would be wise to "hire" him), thus she is very useful to the party. And thus he puts up with her...er... "eccentricities", though if he had the choice of a more mentally stable combatant (read: Lawful Evil) with similar skills (Read: 18/52+ STR ^^) he would ditch her in a heartbeat!

I am using this portrait for Shar-Teel, it just feels...like her. :) No idea who made it, but it's OLD. :)
    cyberhora said:

I always have the most fun when i roll a sorc. The way they work makes them feel more personal and unique then any other class. Ranger/Cleric is another one that is really fun but for slightly different reasons.

As for party members i always want to have atleast two that can follow me all the way through( Edwin, Viccy, Jaheira, Minsc, imoen and now the 3 new). It always feels nice at the end of tob if some of your compainions have been around for the whole journey from an unknown adventurer to legend.

A Ranger/Cleric is planned for my canonical "good" party. :) So many spells!!

I've always wanted to try a Sorc because it seems like alot of fun, alas I am too fond of playing fighting classes, besides worrying about how horribly overpowered I could become. :)
    Post edited by NocturneN on
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Use NPC's you haven't used before.

And use ShadowKeeper to give them cool classes (and to make sure they have the stats for those classes).
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189
    Tome said:

2: Neera: Wild Mages make everything more fun. FACT. Also, she has a personal quest and the dialogue expansion mod made by Kaeloree adds more to her character.

Just tried a wild mage and have gotten really far. You are right. I made myself and got Neera, so now we have 2 wild mages (x2 the fun!). The most hilarious surge I have seen so far was where I cast a spell, and is said
    "Wild surge, COW!!!" and a cow fell from the sky and exploded for 15 dmg xD
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470

Tome said:

5: Imoen: I actually don't like Imoen in BG1 that much, but my soft heart prevents me from ditching her, especially as she only came out of Candlekeep to help you. :(

I find that after her crush Garrick dies in the Nashkel Mines (Garrick always seems to die there! Weird...), Imoen is sad and discouraged. So I leave her in the care of Firebead Elvenhair in Beregost. He's from Candlekeep, so I trust him.

Apparently he trains her while she stays with him, because in the playthroughs when I collect her again later, she always seems to have dual-classed and gained levels as a mage. Firebead mentions an artifact called "The Console" that helps with this. Sounds very powerful...
    Impossible! Imoen shall only have a crush on me! And only me! This Garrick shall bravely run away and never to be heard from again! Don't touch my Imoen!
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2013
    A number of us have been having good times creating random parties via this system. Especially if you want to take a whirl at the no-reload speed game contest included in the thread. But even just a regular game generated by this system (i.e., with reloading) can offer a fun change of pace.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Once I completed all the quest, my character would activate his killer instinct and start decimating the city. Lately, I have been sparing innocents their lives and just punch them unconscious. Afterward, I would revisit them and punch them again.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I like to also drink potions when my character does.

So...
    A potion of clarity = 1 shot of vodka.
    A potion of perception = 2 shots of whisky.
    A potion of regeneration = 1 shot of coffee.
    A potion of cloud giant strength = 1 pint of Guinness
    A potion of invulnerability = 1 bottle of whisky.
    A potion of master thievery = Pour 1 shot of whisky then hide it... Easy to do if you have already had a potion of invulnerability that play.

After a few potions have been drunk I then take realism a step further... each time you suffer a wound, I use a pin to draw blood so I can feel the pain of my character... Then when I use a healing potion, I apply a plaster... I like potions of extra healing because I get to use a bandage!

I've happily bled over my keyboard many a night.

My bathrobe actually started off as white....

For added depth, I have pulled out nasal hairs on receiving a critical hits.

I have most fun when casting spells or using wands for example
    Magic Missiles = Throw upto a maximum of 4 peas at the screen.
    Burning hands = Lighter lit in my cupped hands.
    Fireball = Set fire to paper and throw.
    Chromatic Orb = Throw powerball around room.
    Hold person = Grab one of my fingers and hold it.
    Sleep = Fall asleep for a bit.
    Stinking cloud = Pass wind.
    Aganazzers scorcher = Use of aerosol across lit lighter. (away from screen to avoid melting damage... although this is cool...)

I usually end up using all my potions and spells pretty quickly though... Then blank out large portions of the game... Sometimes I wonder how I got to Baldur's Gate... I swear I recruited Noober one session...

This advice should only be followed by the mentally unhinged or people who should really be locked up for safety. If you think this is a good idea. Please seek medical help URGENTLY from a trained psychologist.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Um, @Anduin, have you been playing your version of the game for a bit, today, before you started posting? Regardless, you are hilarious. ;)

LOL.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    With ur feet.
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    edited April 2013
    Starting a new game over and over again because every time you get outside Candlekeep and before the mines you realize you really want to play something else only to realize you wanted to play what you were playing before but lost the save only to suddenly put it on hold to find a good character portrait only to realize you've been away for too long and want to start a whole new game. Repeat until one game sticks.

...At least, thats how I play.

...for those curious it was a two handed sword wielding Cavalier in the end. He had 18con. He still almost died alot and now I'm afraid to play a caster because of how horribly squishy he'll be.
  • FubbyFubby Member Posts: 189

Starting a new game over and over again because every time you get outside Candlekeep and before the mines you realize you really want to play something else only to realize you wanted to play what you were playing before but lost the save only to suddenly put it on hold to find a good character portrait only to realize you've been away for too long and want to start a whole new game. Repeat until one game sticks.

...At least, thats how I play.

...for those curious it was a two handed sword wielding Cavalier in the end. He had 18con. He still almost died alot and now I'm afraid to play a caster because of how horribly squishy he'll be.

Yeah, the few times I play casters I just take every posible party member I can and have them carry me

I generally lose 1 member a battle. I have bad memories of my 4 man party dying to 2 xvarts.
  • KRKKRK Member Posts: 21
    @ Anduin. Thats pure win :) Freaking hilarious!
  • SplodSplod Member Posts: 114
    With correct grammar.
    Correct grammar is sexy.

FYI... 'Funnest' is not a word.
  • pcmodempcmodem Member Posts: 16
    Created an evil jester and consoled him the Crossbow of Speed and Bolts of Polymorhping.

Laughing insanely as I go through the game, blasting enemies into squirrels.