Skip to content

Have Kivan's quest parameters changed in 2014?

Previous answers on this subject weren't really clear what Kivan's quest parameters were.

If I get him on day 2 in Chapter 1, do I need to have Chapter 4 begun by day 12?

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    As far as I know, his timer is only 5 days. If it's actually 10 days, it's still a rather tight deadline for having to complete two chapters. To be safe, I'd recruit him after completing the mines, then immediately head for the Bandit Camp.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    You know, I may be completely wrong here, but from what I remember of the original his quest was quite different. I think his quest used to be simply to kill any random ogre within a time limit. Of course the last time I saw him in use was a long time ago; way back when I was only about 14 or so and disc switching was still a requirement of the game. It was also not my playthrough, and I played more of an advisory role then.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Hm, so it is possible that this timer was activated by the patch and it's no longer the confrontation with Tazok? That would be even more confusing, I couldn't guess which random ogre I'd try. From in-game clues alone, nothing points at either quest. Would indeed be nice to get clarification about the What and the When here.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    His quest is now "dealing with" the bandit camp (which is measured by reaching Chapter 4). As it turns out, you still don't have to worry about his five-day timer unless you talk to him (while he's in the party) yourself. So don't worry about it.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Jalily said:

As it turns out, you still don't have to worry about his five-day timer unless you talk to him (while he's in the party) yourself. So don't worry about it.

@Jalily Weird. Is that a bug?
  • ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
    Excellent. Thanks, all!
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Tresset said:

Jalily said:

As it turns out, you still don't have to worry about his five-day timer unless you talk to him (while he's in the party) yourself. So don't worry about it.

@Jalily Weird. Is that a bug?
    Yeah, I don't quite understand. By talking to him yourself you mean force-dialogue?

I know I'm used to taking Kivan on Chapter One and taking my time going to the Bandit Camp. Can I do that in BG:EE? Still haven't played a game with him on my party.

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Yes and yes.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited May 2013
    Right on, thanks.

I didn't realize you could trigger certain things by force-talking to NPCs. Is this the only instance? Sorry if I'm bugging you with these questions.
  • zorkzork Member Posts: 4
    It may also activate if you drop him from the party(for instance, so you have enough space to do Minsc's quest and return him and Dynaheir to Nashkel) then talk to him again to kick them out and put him back in. I've done this in a currently active playthrough and gotten a "if we don't hurry up with my quest I'm leaving" warning, though he hasn't left yet so it's still up in the air.