Skip to content

Add more banshees as enemies

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
edited May 2013 in Feature Requests
The first and only appearance that Banshees had in Baldur's Gate where on BG2 ToB, as minions of the Lich Vongoethe in Amkethran (Balthazar's city), and that's the only place Banshees have been spoted on the game.

The artwork is already avaliable, the monster is already coded, and we're still going to feel the extension of it's use as a new monster added. My suggestion is to make a banshee a major enemy in some specific side quest that can be made at the end of BG EE or at the begin of BG 2 EE, and after that add her as a more common enemy in later places of BG 2 EE.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    BG is restricted to the already existent monsters, no new avatar for monsters can be created, at least that what have been told in this forum. we can at maximum use the image of a monster and name it as another (and change his specific status).

Banshee is a monster of the old game that was used only once on ToB. It's a monster that already has an avatar of it's own (so it will not be an recycled avatar for new monster), an valid undead kind to be infused on the game, and it can lead to new adventures as side quests.

That's my reason for more Banshees.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Also the Cold Mistress (or something like that), was a child of Bhaal in Saradush with that animation. But she's just an unfinished business.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I don't recall running into a banshee ever. I don't play TOB much though as I usually don't enjoy it.

I'm in the pro-banshee camp.
    Well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwGy55pyqJw

at 9:55 in the video above you can see the banshee's using "wail of Banshee" as abilities (imoen has been a true witness to that fact, as she died in the combo, there are 4 banshees if i'm not wrong and the 4° call put her dead).

At 10:14 you can see the banshee, the guy even pass the mouse over her in fact. Lemme put an SS down here to make a clear vision:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you search on your BG2 install directory, more specific:

C:\"directory of choice"\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\override, you will find the Banshe01.CRE file there
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    The banshee graphic is cool, but isn't it just another "save or die" monster?

Those really ought to be used sparingly IMHO.
    Nifft said:

Banshees are uncorporeal kinds of undead, from the novels experience i have banshees have magical powers also, the difference is that they have a wail of banshee as usage ability (normally 3x day).

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Banshee

The status drain isn't implemented on BG, although it could work probally in the same pattern as shadows drain strengh.

Just keep in mind that this is one of the few and rare oportunities that we have to introduce a new monster without having to recycle the avatar figure of another (as the devs. don't/can't create new artwork).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Nifft said:

Banshee's could replace or augment all the liches. There are tons of liches. Why not a few banshees?

IIRC death ward protects against Wail. Once you slap that on, you are not going to die and the battle moves on to the next stage...
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    I'm all for a new Mage NPC named Siouxsie, with the special ability Summon Banshees.