Skip to content

Just how Powerful is Sarevok in Canon?

DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
Ive beaten this game twice with a 2 man party and its been fun. One of the things Ive always wondered was how would you rate Sarevok regarding fighters in Forgotten Realms. First I'll give his strengths

-Wields a twohanded sword with 1 hand
-is 7 feet tall (as per poster)
-Is very dexterous and hardy for a fighter and is somewhat cunning
-Deathbringer assault
-Most fighters cant go against him alone or they get chewed

My thoughts are that while Sarevok is strong, an extremely good finesse fighter like Drizzt would be able to beat him.
Didn't list this, but Child of Bhaal in BG2 would be able to beat any of these characters in a fight regardless of any skill. The bhaal child is just way too powerful by bg2 and tob they are demigods. Still here's my list

1-Drizzt
2-Artemis
3-Sarevok
4-Obould
5-Wulfgar

That's just my list. I think that drizzt and artemis are tied. Although if artemis had the same training that drizzt had with menzobarranzan, he would be the better fighter than drizzt.

Anyone have any ideas on any of this. I like to discuss this kind of stuff as these games make me think about it.

Comments

• Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    I have another question :

What are the true Sarevok stats in BG1 ?

In BG2:ToB we know he is : 18/00 17 18 xx xx xx , but are these stats accurate in BG 1 ?
    OzzyBotkins
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    18/00, 18 dex and 18 constitution, 15 intelligence, and I forget the rest. He is wielding a twohanded sword in one hand, so if this was 3rd edition, he would get a bonus to damage of 5.
    RAM021
  • hellhoundhellhound Member Posts: 33
    Sarevok is a real super human, and didn't his armor make him even more powerful... dont forget he can lift people up by their throats and toss them with one hand !
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited May 2013
    Sarevok is super-human (strength 18+ is Olympic Athlete 1st place level), with an armor "+5 awesome". But otherwise, I'd say he may be lower levels than Drizzt and Artemis, so @DKnight 's list is quite close.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Why is Obould so low? Drizzt was unable to beat him 1v1.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Cheat in Drizzt and Sarevok via console, ctr+q one and attack the other. Who wins?
  • Maelora69Maelora69 Member Posts: 75
    Sarevok's weaksauce.

You butcher this loser like a pig EVERY SINGLE GAME of BG1.

Then do it again in BG2.

Kudos to BW for making another villain, like Saren and Loghain, who brings even this mild-mannered player to paroxyms of murderous bloodthirsty hatred.
    EudaemoniumSCARY_WIZARD
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Sarevok is level 16 in BG1. He is level 18 in ToB. Yes, he levelled up twice while being dead: he is that awesome.

Well, to be fair, he probably had to kick some @$$ in Hell when he got there. And he learned some stuff from getting killed by Charname so.... It's all XP.

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I like to think sarevok is only about a level 12-15 fighter.
    It makes me respect him more as a villain that way.

I like to think he goes on a journey and gets more powerful at the same time charname does.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Just as a sidenote, the game consider Shandalar (the mage in Ulgoth's Beard) to be more powerful than Drizzt (under the section of Most Powerful Vanquished)...
    RAM021
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    lunarTaylorTwerkRAM021
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Vanilla sarevok got nerfded because he was challenging. Although I agree that they did make sarevok yet another brutal steelcapped boot to the nuts... A boss with complete magic resistance in a game in which your class started out as a commoner with 2 or 3 tricks per day. Cap was lower too, meaning you had less spells to work with.
    SCARY_WIZARDRAM021
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    sarevok has 160hp~~ in bg1 + totsc can be killed by 3 backstabs or some slashing from fighter with potion of storm giant and oil of speed

or almost anything

even mage can kill him solo just tanking with mirror images

drizzt is way more powerfull because resist + much lower AC
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Its not entirely germane to the discussion, but one of Sarevok's strongest attributes is surrounding himself with competant goons.

He only killed Gorion in EE because his companion dispelled all of Gorion's protections. And in the final battle Sarevok fought in a trapped room with several potent flunkies.

As an individual, Sarevok is plenty tough. In a group he's really dangerous.
    BelgarathMTHSwordsNotWordszzyzazazzRAM021
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    DKnight said:

Ive beaten this game twice with a 2 man party and its been fun. One of the things Ive always wondered was how would you rate Sarevok regarding fighters in Forgotten Realms. First I'll give his strengths

-Wields a twohanded sword with 1 hand
    -is 7 feet tall (as per poster)
    -Is very dexterous and hardy for a fighter and is somewhat cunning
    -Deathbringer assault
    -Most fighters cant go against him alone or they get chewed

My thoughts are that while Sarevok is strong, an extremely good finesse fighter like Drizzt would be able to beat him.
    Didn't list this, but Child of Bhaal in BG2 would be able to beat any of these characters in a fight regardless of any skill. The bhaal child is just way too powerful by bg2 and tob they are demigods. Still here's my list

1-Drizzt
    2-Artemis
    3-Sarevok
    4-Obould
    5-Wulfgar

That's just my list. I think that drizzt and artemis are tied. Although if artemis had the same training that drizzt had with menzobarranzan, he would be the better fighter than drizzt.

Anyone have any ideas on any of this. I like to discuss this kind of stuff as these games make me think about it.

First Drizzt and Obould should be at number one since Obould beat drizzt the first battle they had and the last battle they fought to a draw.
    Second Drizzt and Artemis are not equals in battle. The last battle they had in the crystal tower. Artemis lost that one.
    Third I think Sarevok would lose against Drizzt in the same way he lost to the pc in Baldur's gate. Drizzt would have a party of his friends and Sarevok would be ether with his crap henchmen or himself. Obould was one tough Orc. Sarevok would get crushed. Sarevok might be able to beat Artemis, but could crush puny Wulfgar.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I feel that Ong Bak would be able to beat Sarevok 1on1. His superior dexterity would allow him to run circles around the plodding armor clad Sarevok. He packs quite a wallop too.
    IllustairSCARY_WIZARD
    -Alexisinneed,

Thank you for that info. I read all the drizzt books up to The first fight of drizzt with obould. I didn't really understand what was going on in that fight as it was a little complicated. With that info, I would say that Obould is on the top of the list, followed by drizzt, then sarevok, then artemis, then wulfgar and whatever next.

The problem with artemis is that he is imposing and scary to deal with but in reality, drizzt is too good. If artemis and sarevok had any of the training that drizzt had (with 40 years or whatever to boot), they would be monsters. The training between Zaknafein was brutal as Zaknafein easily outclassed Drizzt in the first book.

I don't remember what happened with that dwarf athrogate. I don't remember how powerful he was but I bet that he'd be on bruenor closeness of level. Then again, I think he had storm giant gauntlets so maybe not.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    They still have nothing on Elminster *crosses arms*

"Let me smack you in the face with this awesome staff while time is stopped. What's that? Want some more? How about some spellstrike action, pure bursts of arcane ectoplasam anyone? What do you mean I have a spellscar? Then enjoy that bukkake party of wild unfiltered weave energy!"
    lunar
    edited May 2013
    Granted, Elminster is insanely powerful and could kill them all. The problem with this is he is NOT a fighter. Thats like saying that Clint Eastwood could beat Bruce Lee in a gun fight. Of course he can. You don't have to tell me how powerful Elminster is. Ive read his insane stats. I just think that mages are faggots in general. Even thieves are more realistic/humanistic characters than some guy with a wand.

WolkRAM021
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    DKnight said:

Granted, Elminster is insanely powerful and could kill them all. The problem with this is he is NOT a fighter.

Isn't Elminster some weird Fighter/Mage/Cleric/Thief multiclass?
    The_New_RomanceRAM021
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @Kaltzor Elminster is his own class. Elminster.
    DJKajuruThe_New_RomanceDexterXenoforge
    Don't get me wrong, Ive read his bio and he's pretty cool. I just like fighters and characters that have actual flaws. Its the same reason why I don't like superman. I'd pay some good money for a doomsday vs. superman big movie. I think you can guess why, hehe
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited May 2013
    ...in ad&d, Artemis and drizzt both would get smooshed, as sarevok is as high or higher level in bg1, and has better stats. Dex is kinda useless in melee, but even that is solid for sarevok, 17. This ignores his better gear. Drizzt is nothing like his bg version. Guess why you can pickpocket his swords without doing anything to hurt his attacks?

Iirc, both are supposed to be ~16th lvl, but sarevok has unreasonably good roles. And armour that made his basically immune to everything.

Edit, last I checked, shuruppak was about the only epic warrior around. He's not even pure, but nothing is in 3rd.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    True, BG1 Drizzt has a weird attack that does extra massive damage unless a save vs death is made. I guess that's how Bg1 designers simulated then no-existing two weapon fighting.

Drizzt is not meant to be very strong in melee with his middling STR, a half-orc kensai with 20 str will do more melee damage, true. What makes Drizzt special is he is very skilled, smart, (20 dex, good intelligence, master two weapon fighting and possibly grandmaster scimitar, awesome AC and resistances) has drow abilities (infravision, levitate, darkness, magic resistance) that have saved his bacon a lot of times.

Oh he also has powerful friends, an experienced dwarf fighter king that refuses to die, a skilled and battle-hardened human lass raised by dwarves with an amazing and deadly magical bow, a monster of a human barbarian with 19 str and epic magical warhammer, a lazy and always hungry halfling with a mace...err, that guy also has an amulet that dire charms at will so he is still a threat. He can also summon a very intelligent and deadly magical giant cat of prey. Drizzt can stealth and even had some berserking abilities when he was alone in the Underdark for the first books. He is a force to be reckoned with.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    edited May 2013
    I would have it (from worst to best):

5: Wulfgar
    4: Bruenor
    3: Sarevok and Entreri tied.
    2: Obould and Drizzt tied.
    1: BG2 Sarevok destroys the others, dual classes to mage and takes over the universe.
    0: CHARNAME.
    RAM021