Skip to content

The Curse of The Beggar *Minor Spoilers*

So, me and a friend picked up Baldur's Gate and started playing together. I rolled a Sorcerer, he rolled a thief. All was well.
We went through prologue, and suddenly we found ourself in a slightly precarious situation.
With no money, food or home my good friend decided, being a thief and of evil alignment, that it was time to go robbing.
Sadly, he hadn't put a very high score into pickpocketing and kept failing, making the intended victims go hostile, and forcing us to kill them to silence them.

"We need the money, Cin" he said. "Yah right, we'll come to regret this, you know...." I said.
"You worry too much!" he said.

I had no idea how right I was.

After a failed attempt to pickpocket a beggar (I know, but we were desperate!), we were chased out of town by the guards, forced to live as common bandits in the woods, yada yada yada.

A few hours of gameplay later, we realized something was amiss. Just at the edge of our vision, we could sometimes spot movement. A hunched figure in rags were following us....

We didn't pay much attention to it at the time, we had bigger problems to deal with (such as being hunted by various bounty hunters and guards, and wildlife trying to chomp on us), but eventually we chased down and caught our stalker. It was The Beggar.

I was perplexed. My friend was highly disturbed. At this time, we had become reliant on Minsc to plow through our enemies for us (As we ourselves had spectacularly failed at rolling viable characters). But with our already dangerously low reputation poor Minsc couldn't handle the pressure of killing an "innocent beggar" (HAH!) so we decided to let him be. Man was that the wrong decision.

It was at this stage that shit began hitting the fan.

After encountering the beggar a few more times (with my friend becoming increasedly disturbed and afraid of the half-naked stalker), we ran into something peculiar.

The Thing had multiplied.

My friend was now sure it was a horror haunting him for his past crimes, and he had started to whimper at the sighting of the things. But it got worse. Oh, so much Worse.

It didn't stop at three. Or nine. Or twentyseven. No, Soon they were everywhere. Out in the wilderness, in bandit dens, in the sewers, buried in tombs... it didn't matter. They were always there. Hiding in corners. Always watching.

Sometimes we woke up after resting to find them standing in a cluster around our party, staring at us, before dispersing. Sometimes we found hidden pockets of them in shadowy areas of the map. It was an infestation.

At this point the party's thief became a gibbering wreck at each encounter, and admittedly I was beginning to break aswell. It was simply too much. The emotional pressure, minsc dissaproving stare at my hands itching to throw fireballs all over the place.

My friend became numb to the horror, As I myself slowly descended into madness. Only dejectedly nodding in agreement as I burst out crying when rounding a corner to find them waiting.

Then it went from a horrifying nightmare.... and turned into Living Hell.

The way was shut. No way through.

With a banshee wail of frustration and insanity, my character snaps and she electrocutes Minsc on the spot, before commencing the tossing fireballs and exploding skulls at every figure in sight wearing loincloth. Thief joins in wearing a grim smile, dealing vengeance with gusto.

The Horde descends upon us.

The gnomes die in the chaos. Dorn tries to hold them off, but without Minsc to cover his back he gets surrounded, and eventually succumbs to the stackup of 1 damage hits. I incinerate and electrocute and whatever else that deals immediate and satisfying DEATH to the deamonspawn. They keep coming. Eventually I run out of spells. I'm swarmed.

Heed my warning, all who hear me. Don't repeat our mistakes. Kill it with fire before it grows to consume you all.
CaptRory[Deleted User]lunarSenashalannahsmithSCARY_WIZARDEudaemoniumCorianderCamDawgKidCarnivalWolkdstoltzfusNoonLuigirulesDeeScooterdeltagoIkMarcJalilyQuartzGriegElectricMonksilofBugratTPSullivan1AristilliusGodKaiserHellAnduinatcDaveJared4242Fina92BeetleAedanMontresor_SPIlphalarCalmarSirK8arivittMetallomanajwzJuliusBorisovPantalionSophiaKenjiSanctiferNeonfiskGodSylphAbelErgPermidion_StarkBattlehamster23dutch45manAyiekieQbertCrevsDaakJenzafarloliendustbubsyFredjoBlackravenmeaglothRavenslightjackjackElrandirNonnahswriterEmpyrialDJKajuruFinneousPJArdulbooinyoureyeslaptopman666YupImMadBroSkatan[Deleted User]mashedtatersSethDavisfkirenicusKuronaRelSundan[Deleted User]Mantis37Lammas

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eudaemoniumlunar
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I lol'ed so hard! Most definitely a bug, but so hillarious! And they say playing evil is more difficult in this game, they have no idea! :-D
    [Deleted User]booinyoureyes
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405

Hilarious! Just so hilarious! I was thinking hard if I should read the thread, seeing the *Minor Spoilers* tag, but it was the best decision ever I made on this forum! :D

I don't see myself ever in this situation, since with reputation at 1 or 2 I consider the game to be near unplayable, so I always avoid it or reload. But THIS! Made my day! Thank you dear sir for sharing this trasure you and your friend have found! And also for the great way of telling the story! I don't think this is a bug, and if it was indeed implemented on purpose, well, then I raise my hat once more for the developers.

Again my deepest thank you for the story! And let me congratulate you for roleplaying it to its fullest extent! Cheers!
    lunarBelgarathMTHbooinyoureyes
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    LOL, made my day. Curse indeed. Thanks for the good write up and pics.
    dstoltzfusbooinyoureyes
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    It has been expressed already and, no doubt, will be expressed many times by the end of this thread, but this was awesome and completely made my day! :D
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    Just when you think you've seen it all.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    This is exactly why this my favourite bug.
    booinyoureyes
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Has anyone ever read Thieves World?

DO NOT EVER CROSS THE BEGGARS... Mor-am! Sweet Zombie Jesus, you WILL regret it. One of the few solid modern examples of beggars as a true class, a profession, that I have run across. Nowadays beggars are mostly mentally ill, or are implausibly unlucky. However, in some cultures, they had a role, and thus responsibilities, and as a result had some power/rights. The Moruth the Beggar King is an interesting character indeed, despite being a pretty evil person. Erm, he could make Sarevok pale... pretty awful.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Awesome. :)
    Eudaemonium
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30
    That is hilarious, but I wonder: you tried to do something bad (steal) but refused to do something evil (kill the beggar after he turned hostile) even though your alignment is evil. Does this occur to good or neutral alignment characters as well?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Plus one on the awesomness of the OP. That's the most creative and funny post I've seen in a long time.
    lunarbooinyoureyes
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    Very fun read, and one of the funniest things I've ever seen in BG!
    lunarbooinyoureyes
  • GrakkelGrakkel Member Posts: 55
    WHAT THE WHAT.
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    There must be a hell of a beggars' union on the Sword Coast.
    Lemernisbooinyoureyeslaptopman666
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Oh my! I laughed SO HARD that my neighbours knocked at the door asking if I was okay.
    "We thought you were dying" they said. Yes... I was dying for laughter XD
    JalilyEudaemoniumlunarbooinyoureyes
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    this story is pure gold
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    I think this is the BEST BUG REPORT EVER! Man, I'm at work, I laughed like a fool right in the middle of my office, LOL!! Great job, indeed! XD

(btw..I'm not sure I want this bug fixed...XP)

@DreadKhan: I think you must read about the King of Beggars and the beggars army in Nadsokor, a city in the Elric of Melnibonè saga, of Michael Moorcock, wrote in the '60s. I think Thieves' World has took some inspiration from that saga. :)
    SophiaLemernisbooinyoureyes
    @Samus: Oh, yes, it is! :D

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I concur that this bug should remain! Too cool.
    booinyoureyes
    LemernisJenzafarlaptopman666
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    @metalloman I can certainly look into it. To be completly honest, Thieves World ruined many fantasy authors; not so much I suppose that any one author was that amazing, it to me was introduction of real perspectives, both in the form of different authors, as well as the sheer volume of characters. I heard some books were added to the series recently, but atm I have only the original 12. It was interesting watching how organicly some characters developed, especially my personal favourite, Molin Torchholder. Even the era and comparable civilization was in flux until the Stepsons and Sacred Banders arrived... that set the time in late dark ages I suppose, due to crossbows. Still have throwback aspects though.

I also loved the fairly low magic of the setting... not a fan of 'magic should solve everything', let alone the overthetop magic of many fantasy settings. That said, Eberrons magical 18th century feel is interesting.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    OMG. I thought this was some creature spawning joke. The now poor beggars want their gold back!
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    0-0

Fireballs and Cloudkill, it's your only hope.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Wish to cast ADHW on them all!

Someone should write a mod about a beggar that you first meet at the Friendly Arm Inn. If you choose to help him, every time you encounter him he has become better off. If you ignore him, he keeps drifting from town to town never catching a break. If you kill him, he haunts you and interupts conversations, making evil feel fun again.
    lunarnanomeaglothElrandir
  • MathiasMathias Member Posts: 21
    hahahhahahahhhahahahahahah omg. teh lulz