Skip to content

Awesome Wild Surges!

So today while running through the Bandit Camp, I was prepping everybody for battle, and had Neera cast armor with Nahal's reckless dweomer, because that's what I do. I got a bunch of rolls, two of which were "roll twice more". +4 save for one of them...whatever, I can't think of anything that would be harmed by armor unless you could reverse it a la P&P divine magic... Second result AoEd the armor, so it hit errybody! Everybody armor! CHARNAME armor! Garrick armor! Neera armor! Safana armor! Xan armor! That Guy You Can Only Get If You Enter The Right Keys At The Start Screen armor! :D!

There've also been situations where I've accidentally gated in nabassu, run in the other direction as fast as my pixel-legs could carry me, and grabbed some water or tea or giggled while watching those assassins in Gullykin/those hobgoblins outside of the Temple/Bassilus and his undead followers/diseased gibberlings try futilely to attack it because I have die rolls in my feedback window.

And, like, you know, the times I've had silence happen when I meant to cast a chromatic orb. Or the times I've AoEd magic missile spells. Sure, in the latter case it really sucks when I don't have mirror images up, but it's the bee's knees when I've got a bunch of enemies at my heels and all of a sudden they get force energy in their faces and any spells that they might be trying to cast get interrupted.

So I guess this is going to be one of those threads where we go "AWW YEAH" about awesome wild surges that have happened in our Forgotten Realms computer entertainment games. Good or bad, share them, people! But only ones that you liked.
Needless to say, I'm going to make a wild mage and dual it over to Cleric, because of the Gibberlings 3 BG II Tweak Pack.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited May 2013
    Samus said:

The Nabassu certainly is a funny one...

Yeah, those guys are as dumb as the guys who tried to attack the demons in the story of Jerrod's Stone. :/ It's really funny when it's skeletons trying to attack it with throwing knives. "Oh, hey, free ammo for Xan! You all rule!"

So I was fighting the people from Amn who hunt other Humans for sport when Neera cast magic missile at the leader. Instead of the magic missile firing, a cow from the sky landing on the hunting leader, causing 20 hit points of damage and killing her.

Always a good one.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2013
    I think I could leave this here.
    Post edited by Kaltzor on
  • CalvinandhobbesCalvinandhobbes Member Posts: 14
    I got the cow wild surge once. It was amazing. Not only did it kill the enemies me and Imoen were facing, but it somehow managed to kill everything in the area, dropping my reputation to around 5.

Glorious.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    lunar said:

I've edited in some high lvl spell scrolls to my game just to try them out with NRD. I tried casting a Disintegrate on Greater Wolfwere, that monstrotiy with insane regeneration, weapon invulnerability, good saves etc.

Wild surge:NO SAVE!
    Greater Wolfwere-Death (instantly disintegrated into a pile of dust)

It was awesome, like 'Regenerate THIS!' moment. Then again, a Disintegrate with no save allowed is a very, very nasty thing. Love the new Disintegrate ray animation too, it looks like a proper Death ray. lol

I couldn't find the baby I was supposed to rescue though, I fear the child was gone if it was in the beast's inventory as well.

I used SK to give my wild mage Time Stop. I usually don't use it unless I'm goofing off.

Yes you did kill the baby.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Guy u can get from menu code? Is this a joke, or is there something I don't know about?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Tresset said:

lunar said:

I've edited in some high lvl spell scrolls to my game just to try them out with NRD. I tried casting a Disintegrate on Greater Wolfwere, that monstrotiy with insane regeneration, weapon invulnerability, good saves etc.

Wild surge:NO SAVE!
    Greater Wolfwere-Death (instantly disintegrated into a pile of dust)

It was awesome, like 'Regenerate THIS!' moment. Then again, a Disintegrate with no save allowed is a very, very nasty thing. Love the new Disintegrate ray animation too, it looks like a proper Death ray. lol

I couldn't find the baby I was supposed to rescue though, I fear the child was gone if it was in the beast's inventory as well.

I used SK to give my wild mage Time Stop. I usually don't use it unless I'm goofing off.

Yes you did kill the baby.
    Oww that made an 'awww yeaaah!' Moment into an ohh no!' one. I feel sad for the baby, but why was that stupid monster fighting while holding the baby? Hmm, ofcourse, that baby was a lycanthrope and we ended up killing all of the village, including his mother too, and..uhh.

Still, how ethicaly good or evil is to kill the baby of an evil race? Maybe hobgoblin babies are total cuties. Or troll babies actually look like those small troll toys that were popular in 90s. Um, would you kill a drow baby if you found one? A cute drow baby with violet eyes, perhaps?

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @lunar Spoony did a whole video about "The Prisoner Dilemma" and what to do with the babies and non-combatants of evil races.

Don't bring it up!

XD

Seriously, NEVER goes well.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited May 2013
    Personally I had not many wild surges with my wild mage companion, as I was more busy on testing the Italian translation than on taking fun with a free play but, even with my little playing, Neera took off the illusionist's hat some good candies..:)
    Most of the wild surges were only-textual ones, so I got just a description of what was happening and nothing more but I remember two wild surge effects that had let me say: "HA!"

1- After Neera cast her spell the whole party had become psychedelic!! The all of us were shining with all the rainbow's colours...and in the middle of a fight! The effect lasted for a day so I'm pretty sure we launched the psychedelic trend in Nashkel earlier than it's supposed age...XD

2- Just in the first fight after Neera's first encounter, against the red Wizards, happened her first wild surge in my party: in the middle of the fight, with all the fight notes in the bottom box, I was unable to read the effect.
    After the fight, I start to gather all my dead opponent's gear and noted that my inventory was full earlier than normal. I looked inside and I found a DIAMOND and 2 EMERALDS!!
    I immediately thought of a shop in the eastern part of the town and tears of joy started to fall on my cheeks..
    I would have kissed Neera if I only could select the right dialogue option!! XD

Not some awesome magic effects but..TRUE STORY! ;P
    @lunar actually If you bring the baby back to the mother she is one of two werewolves who refuse to fight you and she says she will raise her child to be good unlike her current tribe. So yes, you blew it.

1- After Neera cast her spell the whole party had become psychedelic!! The all of us were shining with all the rainbow's colours...and in the middle of a fight! The effect lasted for a day so I'm pretty sure we launched the psychedelic trend in Nashkel earlier than it's supposed age...XD

When that happens, I start playing dance music.
  • wildwild Member Posts: 43
    First time in BG2 fighting the unseeing eye directly having no idea about all the rest of it (not wanting too many spoilers here). It killed at least half my party before wild mage Charname steps up and delivers a magnificent gate I run away and the demon proceeds to destroy the eye and everyone else before disappearing back to the abyss while I collected my dead. Since this my Charname has almost always been a wild mage.

Other notable surges I have had were Aoe wish and planetars but they happened at insignificant times.
    @wild
    AoE Wish? Holy cow, how did that work out?
    Southpaw said:

CaptRory said:

@wild
    AoE Wish? Holy cow, how did that work out?

Before @wild got to answer, Minsc stepped in and shouted "Swords for EVERYONE !".
    Everyone got a +1 Long Sword and the Genie disappeared.
    This needs to happen in a mod. And if Nalia is present, the swords get donated to beggars and her ending has her as the Hobo Queen of Amn. The last that we see of her for years is her sitting on a throne made of the bones of the wealthy, and the camera pans out and reveals that she's on a spire crafted from noble buildings.
    Enter Baldur's Gate III: Wrath of the Hobo Queen. She would be the most adorable villainess ever! And Grey DeLisle would probably totally reprise her role as her.
    Well, I just tried to cast color spray and got Wild Surge: Colors!
    edited May 2013
    Tresset said:

Well, I just tried to cast color spray and got Wild Surge: Colors!

On Neera. :3
    "Wild Surge: Explosion?" makes me nervous, but then when I realize Neera just looks like she's on fire, everything's alright. :D
  • wildwild Member Posts: 43
    @CaptRory I think it happened when I was just casting Nahals randomly so I couldn't get anything useful but I think nearly everyone in the party had to talk to a djinn.
    @wild Hehe, neat!
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited May 2013
    Well, recently I was somewhat bored and did Black Pits with 5 mages and a sorcerer... One of them was a wild mage.. I nearly died against the dieseased gibberlings because the wild mage managed to get an area effect on magic missile at level 1 and it hit my entire party as well.

The same party did also get a Gate during the Fire Giant... Fun times.
  • BestopherBestopher Member Posts: 28
    Kaltzor said:

I think I could leave this here.

Ahahaha I'm stealing this meme forever.

• SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    All my Wild Surges have sucked. Every. Single. One.
    :(
    Sylph said:

All my Wild Surges have sucked. Every. Single. One.
    :(

Aw, tell us about the lamest one, then! If you want. :3
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    I had a funny one in the Nashkel mines where I tried casting sleep on the kobolds whilst fighting that half-orc dude in the final area only to find a horde of squirrels appear at my feet. Most of the time I usually get something like fizzle, or pretty colors, or weird buzzing noise. I used to think that people always moan like babies about the destroy gold surge. I thought 'it's a 1 in 100 chance, it'll never happen, don't sweat it so much' but I'll be damned if I didn't roll that surge 2 times in my last playthrough :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yesterday I started a new game and got a 'whats in my pack?' surge and found a shiny emerald in my inventory. Emeralds sell for good cash and it helps a lot for a lvl 1 party ^^
    @OurQuestIsVain I got double squirrels back to back in the Nashkel Mine. The first floor you fight big groups of kobolds. There was a LOT of squirrels.
    CaptRory said:

@OurQuestIsVain I got double squirrels back to back in the Nashkel Mine. The first floor you fight big groups of kobolds. There was a LOT of squirrels.

Such adorable little meatshields! Silly kobolds, read the rules, you can still attack me!