Skip to content

Fanart Contest Round V: Portraits for Non-Joinable NPCs (Winner Announced!)

Comments

• EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Urgh, you're all really good. Not sure I want to post mine anymore...!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I can make stick figures. That's about it. I enjoy artisans vicariously!
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @EntropyXII

That's rockin' dude!
    @secretmantra

Thanks ey. I'm not overly fond of it. I couldn't seem to get the colours right throughout. Lately i've been attempting to be more 'BG' with my artwork - more realism. I learned how to draw as a six year old reading comic books though, so I think this style has been ingrained in me over the years.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Your Rufie is wonderfuuuuul *o*!!

Anyway ops, I didn't realize I was the only one who could guess, I would have tried other names too XD!
    Syntia13
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Sintia Since he's a hellhound, and they breathe fire, I'd probably have gone for a more reddish coat. Otherwise you are probably spot-on!
    Syntia13
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Some of these portraits are of high enough quality to be put in the game. Now that would be a good competition reward.
    mlneveseFoggy
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Agreed. Unfortunately, they'd have to go through WotC approval, which means we can't guarantee their inclusion. It was one of the first things we looked into when we started the contest.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Of course...mods don't need permission.
    mlneveseFoggySyntia13
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    secretmantraSCARY_WIZARD
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    @Samus

Completely agree. @Nixxi makes beautiful portraits.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited April 2013
    I'm a little upset. I don't think I'll be able to make a portrait in time. This contest came at the worst time possible, I'm rushing to get all of my projects done for school and get ready for finals and graduation.
    A real pain, too, I wanted another chance at this contest thing since I didn't do so well last time. :( Also, I really wanted to draw Raelis Shai. And now I'm not sure if I can.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    He does look very young though, I always figured him way into his fiftees.
    Still, v. nice!
    EntropyXIISophiaalnair
    Very nice indeed, but I have to agree with Drugar. I always pictured Scar to look like Russell Crowe or Harrison Ford in their older years. Very good portrait though!
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @Drugar @EntropyXII You are right about Scar's age. The problem is, I have no idea how to make a face look young/old. The guy on reference picture I used looked older, but the age got lost somewhere in the drawing process. Do you think adding wrinkles around eyes would help? Or a bit of stubble?
    @Syntia13 Wrinkles do help. How I do this is by applying a low opacity mixture of purple/grey/blue around and under neath the eyes - putting emphasis on the grey (blue/purple should be used on a very very low opacity and only to add depth). Try and do this with the effect of lines spreading out from their point of origin to give a wrinkled effect. Light and dark shading will help add depth to the wrinkles. Be careful with applying too much. My portrait of Ender Sai was intended to look malnourished, not old and thus his eye shadow is darker and more akin to his skin tone.

Other places to apply wrinkles will be to accentuate smile lines around the mouth, and frown lines on the forehead (which I see you have done) using applications of dark and light shading.

Stubble will help. It's a sure fire way of making a man look middle aged or older. Stubble should be gruff and sand paper like (think of striking a matchstick off a rough surface) but this can be a time consuming process. Try giving him grey hair, or hair that has grey flecks. Can't beat a bit of grey hair to apply age! (i'm 26 and have an increasing amount of it on my hair... unfortunately. Makes me look 30).

Try taking inspiration from the Kheldorn portraits, or Jan. I always use them as examples of how to create older looking wrinkly faces.
    SophiaSyntia13
  • Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
    I started on a monster for my own p&p RPG one day, it was inspired by the Invisible Stalker monsters in Baldurs Gate. Hidden in plain sight, but a terror to behold.

http://www.zzidolfas.net/Invisible Stalker.jpg

SophiaFina92zur312
    @Seldar @Zzidolfas86 - both of those are very good. In fact, exactly how I imagined them both to me.

@Jalily - Just to confirm, is the competition now closed? How long is it usually until votes are in? :)
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    @Syntia13
    I like the portrait, but I always imagined Scar in his mid-forties.
    lolien

@Jalily - Just to confirm, is the competition now closed? How long is it usually until votes are in? :)

Indeed it is! We usually announce the winners after a week. :)
    EntropyXII
    @Jalily - Brilliant! - My digital pen just came through the post finally so very excited for the next one!
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136

@secretmantra

Thanks ey. I'm not overly fond of it. I couldn't seem to get the colours right throughout. Lately i've been attempting to be more 'BG' with my artwork - more realism. I learned how to draw as a six year old reading comic books though, so I think this style has been ingrained in me over the years.

I'd go with your comic book style. Excellent picture.
    EntropyXII
    Now that the judging week has come to a close, I am pleased to announce the winning entry for Round V...
    serabiet's beautiful portrait of Kaishas Gan! Check your inbox, @serabiet. :D

Congratulations! It was a tough choice, as all the entries were both technically impressive and showcased their characters' personalities well.

@Syntia13 @artastrophe @secretmantra @serabiet @EntropyXII
    AndreaColomboserabiet
  • serabietserabiet Member Posts: 52
    So now that I've run around in circles flailing a bit I can maybe form words? To start with two, thank you! Loved seeing all the interpretations of characters that so far have just been sprites and dialogue and now have faces :)
    lolien
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    Congratulations @serabiet ! :) Say, is your avatar your work too? It's beautiful. Are you on Deviant Art or some similar page?
    Thanks @artastrophe @secretmantra @EntropyXII , it was nice competing with you! :D
    And thank you @Jalily and other Powers That Be for strictening (is that a word?) the rules of the challenge. I didn't think I could draw a half-decent portrait without using a bunch of photos as a crutch, and now I know I can. :) (Though I admit, the next challenge scares me. ...it's so alluring, though... Can I, or can't I? We shall see) ;P