Skip to content

Full drow only campaign

ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
I though I'd make this because of all the love drow seem to be getting at the moment on these forums.
They drow segment of bg2 was for me one of the highlights of the game, and beyond this generally, I have always felt that the underdark and drow mythology in particular is one of my favourite parts of d&d

For bg3, or as a spinoff, I would love to play a game set entirely in the underdark in one of the drow cities, where your entire party would be drow or slaves.
This has always seemed really exciting to me, and it would make a change from the normal adventuring party roleplaying settings.
NWN hordes of the underdark and IWD2 are other good examples, but they only cover a small part of the game. I want to experience a whole story starting at level 1 and ending at level 20 or so.

...well maybe I'll have to continue dreaming for now.

Comments

• CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    I like the idea simply because adventuring in a society where evil is the norm would be very different to the surface world. Though if you wanted a break from the evil you could hang out with the deep gnomes for a while :p
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Interesting idea, would imo work best as an MMO though with different factions and such for mass house mayhem and surface raids.
    edited August 2012
    Honestly the drow are interesting although warhammer dark elves are much better at being evil.
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53
    Better at being evil? There's a scale of evilness?
    Yes, all who are evil have one how else would we know who is better? You think being evil just for the sake of it? Ha! It's a competition and whoever loses gets to apologize to everyone and get kicked out of the club. The last guy we kicked out actually apologized for turning his entire kingdom into zombies and wanted daddy to make it all better.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I too am sick of drow talk. Every time someone brings a new topic, a non-existent god destroys a non-existent rhino.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I don't understand all this Drow-talk lately...

I get that people dig Drizzt, but at the end of the day, Drow are a bunch of half-naked, spider worshipping murderers. Unless you're 14 there's really no appeal.

Maybe it's just me...
    They're powerful and exotic. That's really all the motivation one requires. Drizzt is actually my least favorite drow character.
  • kunjal29kunjal29 Member Posts: 26
    Wonder if they could do a campaign similar to that described in the War of the Spider Queen novels. Lolth has fallen silent and the dark elf priestesses seem to have lost their powers. You form a party to descend into Lolth's dimension to attempt to discover what has happened to Lolth.
    Ogres are powerful and exotic/foreign as well. Why doesn't anyone make 50 topics about them.
  • morgy321morgy321 Member Posts: 36
    make me want to play a hafling sorc never bean to in to drow sure they got good stats who cares
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    Heh, I remember when the Drow part bugged out for me, and I had to kill everyone in the city to move forward.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Dazzu said:

Ogres are powerful and exotic/foreign as well. Why doesn't anyone make 50 topics about them.

Are Ogre females generally depicted as promiscuous scantly clad babes?

• ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Tanthalas said:

Bam! Hit the nail on the head.

That's not the point. The point is, we don't need more Drow talk. I seriously... nobody takes me seriously around here.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315

I don't understand all this Drow-talk lately...

I get that people dig Drizzt, but at the end of the day, Drow are a bunch of half-naked, spider worshipping murderers. Unless you're 14 there's really no appeal.

Maybe it's just me...
    They're powerful and exotic. That's really all the motivation one requires. Drizzt is actually my least favorite drow character.

I feel exactelly the same
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Zeckul said:

Tanthalas said:

Bam! Hit the nail on the head.

Does anyone dare google "scantily clad ogres"? .P
    Dazzu said:

Ogres are just strong and tough rather than "powerful," have no culture to speak of, and are fairly common.

So, no.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    edited August 2012
    @scriver
    Mwahahahaha!
    I dared. The google choked, and after a moments hesitation spat out a thumping number of four links, the first of which read: "Scantily clad ogres! Run for your lives!" :D
  • MalbortusMalbortus Member Posts: 106
    Many of my BG2 campaigns stalled and eventually ended during the Underdark stage. Same as the Deep Roads in Dragon Age. I get claustrophobic playing in enclosed spaces for too long. No wonder I voted BG1 on the BG1 vs. BG2 poll. So the campaign suggested by the OP would be a no-go for me. Much as I love Drizzt (and am reading Elaine Cunningham's Windwalker trilogy now).
    Mmmm, Elain Cunningham, now THERE's some cool drow. Drizzt? Pfah!
  • RhinjavarRhinjavar Member Posts: 23
    The drow are boring to me. Because they are so "exotic", people flock to them and they become the highlight of attention, and subsequently commonplace, thus losing their mysterious appeal. Whenever someone mentions "drow" I cringe and bite my lip. They are, to me, what the elves of Tolkien's Middle-earth represent in mysticism, and why everyone wants to play one. People become all googly eyed at their mere mention, and it reminds me of the way a young person might over-hype a new pop music idol (Justin Bieber?) because everyone else is doing it too. Frankly, I don't find the appeal. If you want evil then there's a whole host of other cultures and gods to appease you. If you want slaves then come join us in Calimshan and we'll get you what you want. If it's the whole "scantily clad women" element, I hear that nymphs and dryads wear even less clothing. But maybe I'm just a sucker for the great wild. I leave the dark, dank caverns for Minecraft.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    If something appeals to everyone, then it'll have to be overexposed and discarded so that it can be rediscovered anew or something else can be the interesting and neglected option.
    Rhinjavar said:

The drow are boring to me. Because they are so "exotic", people flock to them and they become the highlight of attention, and subsequently commonplace, thus losing their mysterious appeal. Whenever someone mentions "drow" I cringe and bite my lip. They are, to me, what the elves of Tolkien's Middle-earth represent in mysticism, and why everyone wants to play one. People become all googly eyed at their mere mention, and it reminds me of the way a young person might over-hype a new pop music idol (Justin Bieber?) because everyone else is doing it too. Frankly, I don't find the appeal. If you want evil then there's a whole host of other cultures and gods to appease you. If you want slaves then come join us in Calimshan and we'll get you what you want. If it's the whole "scantily clad women" element, I hear that nymphs and dryads wear even less clothing. But maybe I'm just a sucker for the great wild. I leave the dark, dank caverns for Minecraft.

Believe it or not, it's possible to like drow and other evil stuff, too. I've never even made a pen and paper drow character or a video game drow protagonist, myself. I usually make a human Blackguard type of character, although my genasi Warden cannibal in Dark Sun is fun.

Hell, I was IN an evil-aligned, Underdark campaign once, and instead of rolling a drow I made a human Fighter loosely inspired by Bankotsu from the anime Inuyasha. I just happen to like the drow because they've interested me ever since I first encountered them in BG2 (never read any books prior or found Viconia in BG1). How does that fit into your cynical generalization?
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    Malbortus said:

Many of my BG2 campaigns stalled and eventually ended during the Underdark stage. Same as the Deep Roads in Dragon Age. I get claustrophobic playing in enclosed spaces for too long. No wonder I voted BG1 on the BG1 vs. BG2 poll. So the campaign suggested by the OP would be a no-go for me. Much as I love Drizzt (and am reading Elaine Cunningham's Windwalker trilogy now).

My game ended after the Deep Roads because I felt like I had already "beat" the game after that, and the story wasn't interesting enough for me to continue.

Mmmm, Elain Cunningham, now THERE's some cool drow. Drizzt? Pfah!

Personally i go for War of the Spider Queen
    @Talvrae
    Haven't read it! I'll have to borrow those from a friend some time soon.

@Talvrae
    Haven't read it! I'll have to borrow those from a friend some time soon.

Story is good, and go really into evil drow characters... Main critics, is hat i almost hear the dice rolls when i read the combat "Oh he succedded is saving trow i see"
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I actually find Jarlaxle to be more interesting than Drizzt, but that's probably because Drizzt is constantly moping about. I think one problem with Salvatore's more recent Drizzt books is that it feels like we're seeing Drizzt facing the same moral dillemas.

I really liked The Sellswords trilogy and I hope Salvatore will someday write more stories with his secondary characters. It helps to keep stuff more varied.
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    I thought this thread was a sarcastic joke towards all the drow fanboys, but now I'm not sure.