Skip to content

[Mod] Faiths of Faerûn Kitpack v0.5c (Ready for testing)

Comments

• RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    @kamuizin the lack of healing for evil kits has been brought up before, and I think both myself and Mordeus agrees that it was unnecessarily detrimental to the gameplay of these characters. It is very likely that in the future everyone will have access to both sides of the healing sphere, although still limited by minor or major.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    <.<; *Puts on paladin badge* its pure P&P! If you want healing spells, don't use evil characters!
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    [quote]I was a little worried that it was going to have the 500+ extra spells I mentioned above, but looks to be reworks of BG2 and IWD2 spells with some extra ones from the compendium. The latest version is Beta 6 right?[/quote]
    Yes its Beta 6. Maybe Galactygon allows you to use his spells or graphic effects for your mod?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Requiem, nice to know, high level cure spells could still be blocked from them, no problem, but some basic cure versions of the spell would be nice. Some bonus to hit with the reverse cure spells would be nice also for evil clerics, as i believe neutral ones will benefit of both versions of the spell.
  • JarlJarl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 100
    Holy crap! This is hot!
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Ok, I'm going to go ahead and convert them into .bam files just to get them out of the way. I'm going with the BG2 button background. So if there aren't any objections to that, I'll go ahead and get them done. I'm also doing the scrolls too, and for that I'll just use the pre-existing template.
  • TivaanTivaan Member Posts: 15
    Wow very nice
    I was halfway through converting the school of divination until I remembered I was going to make them look like the innate skill icons I did previously; generally more vibrant and clearer. So I'll wait until I have all the icons done.

I could even wait a little bit more and do icons for non-magical kits. So I can get all the icons rendered at the same time, which minimizes the chance of changing their aesthetic (although subtly) by accident. I've already forgotten how I did the past ones, even through I wrote the process down.

It wouldn't be nearly as complicated as planning out the spell icons. Pretty much would involve going through all the kits from 2ed and listing their abilities which averages around 1-3 icons. For example the p&p version of the Archer kit would require an icon for its' rapid fire "mode", one for its' stand and fire "mode", and one for its' Trick Shot ability (the BG2 Archer is actually the Halfling p&p Archer. Wouldn't have to be too specific, just knowing that I need to come up with a certain number of archer, ninja, warrior, etc themed icons.

I could post a rough plan in the next week to get approval then I'll add those skills to the to do list.
    Could you @Mordeu or someone else adapt an EE keeper to work with faiths of faerun?
    Just got an bug with the slow spell (mage 3° circle), i installed other mods but the most active in spell rewrite is this one.

The bug is displayed this way:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I will avoid write in my spellbook the slow spell atm, if the bug isn't related to Faiths of Faerum, please let me know so i can report it on the thread of the other mods.
  • silversnuffsilversnuff Member Posts: 16
    Looks awesome. My only nitpick is that the icon for dimensional blade seems out of place being so bold compared to the other icons. Otherwise, as always, amazing stuff!
  • SnakesonaskyshipSnakesonaskyship Member Posts: 38
    kamuizin said:

Could you @Mordeu or someone else adapt an EE keeper to work with faiths of faerun?

I second this, love the mod, but I also love my keeper...

I should add that I made a Firemane of Nobanion, who are supposed to be fearless, but alas, I ran in fright from the first horror spell I encountered. I also didn't get any wild fight special ability, though I don't know if or when you're supposed to get it (currently lvl 6).

Seems to be working well enough aside from that. Love where this is going, keep up the good work.

edited May 2013
    @Snakesonaskyship Fear immunity and wild fight with the firemane have both been fixed now, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

@kamuizin I have tried to recreate the crash with the slow spell but it seems to work fine for me. We don't actually overwrite or alter any of the original spells, the mod makes copies of them all, and the copies are used by the new kits. Plus we have only really updated the cleric spells and not the mage ones, so I don't think it's our mod causing the problem, although obviously if you find any proof to the contrary I will be happy to look into it.

As for EE keeper, I think that would most likely be a lot of work, and myself and @Mordeus have our hands pretty full with the mod at the moment.
    @Requiem Np, glad to help out. Found another thing, I think. As I reached lvl 7 I got access to the Pride of Nobanion spell, which is really nice... But for some reason, the felines summoned are named "Well met, stranger. Why have you come here?".

This makes for some confusion in my combat log. :P
    @Requiem , the crash comes from the wrote spell on the spell book. I can cast normally the slow spell from the scroll, but if i wrote it, at any moment that i visualize my level 3 spellbook, the game crashes.
    I've just uploaded v0.51 which should address all of the mentioned issues.

@Snakesonaskyship Cheers for pointing it out, theyve been renamed to servants of nobanion

@kamuizin you were right, it is our mod causing the problem, the newly updated version fixes this. Turns out one of the icons was corrupt, and so I have just replaced it a with a placeholder for now. Reinstall the newest version and it should work fine.

@Requiem Just tried the latest version, and the spell is now indeed fixed. :)

I tried starting a new firemane as my previous one did not get the missing Wild Fight ability, and my new character got them - but the icons are question marks (as the identify spell) and the ability will not activate. When clicked, it does not get depleted, and nothing happens.
    Ah right, I will have to have a look at this tomorrow evening, sorry for all of the messing around.
    Np, I understand that in a project of this scope, there are many variables to keep track of. And this is after all what testing is for.
    Just uploaded v0.52. I've checked through all of the kits (albeit rather quickly, i don't have as much free time as i would like at the moment) and identified a few other such as lurue and ghaunadaur which needed touching up, so the fixes for those are included too.

This update also addresses the wild fight ability, which now works properly.

MIssing icons will be a common sight for a while I think, simply due to the amount of new content added.
    Wild fight is now working like a charm. Thank you for all your hard work.
    I think we should decide on the naming conventions for the spells. That way we can create the dummy spells now and then update them with icons and their strings. That way I can add the new icons and strings directly to the mod, rather than waiting til the end.

I'm thinking it would help if the name of the .spl file related to its' .tra string value.

So what I have in mind is using the following numbers for arcane/divine and the 8 schools which the infinity engine uses.

1 - Arcane
    2 - Divine

0 - No School
    1 - Abjuration
    2 - Conjuration
    3 - Diviner
    4 - Enchanter
    5 - Illusionist
    6 - Invoker
    7 - Necromancer
    8 - Transmuter
    9 - Generalist

So the spell file would be in this format....

aaabcdde.spl

a - Mod Prefix
    b - School
    c - Spell level
    d - Alphabetical spell number
    e - reserved for .bam letter

Here is an example of what a spl file or its' string would look like:

157100 or xxx5710.spl - 10th level 7 arcane spell of the Illusionist school (title)
    283020 or xxx8302.spl- 2nd level 3 divine spell of the necromancer school (title)
    181251 or xxx8125.spl - 25th level 1 arcane spell of the transmuter school (description)

When it comes to the .tra file a 0 or 1 is placed at the end to show if it's a title or description string and a 1 or 2 is placed at the start to show if it an arcane or divine spell. Kit specific .spl files should be using their own simpler naming conventions and will have their strings isolated in the .tph file. So they don't have to be considered.

So that leaves 2 characters at the start of the .spl file to be used as a prefix that sums up our mod and 1 character that shows if this is a Divine or Arcane spell.

If our prefix was "Kit Overhaul" aka "KO" then the above examples would look like this...

KOA5710.spl
    KOD8302.spl
    KOA8125.spl

Once this is settled, I can make the dummy .spl files into a copy of the mod. Then slowly add the .bams and strings. Plus assigning the spheres and school designations.

---

Also I've been thinking that it would be easier to incorporate the new spells into the game by just creating .itm files that override the pre-existing scrolls you find in stores. So that means we don't have to bother creating new stores or editing pre-existing store lists. So spells that are common/uncommon will be found in stores while the rare/very rare/unique ones will be found via loot, quests or specific npcs. Make sense to have the Harper spells available through Harper NPCs and Red Wizard ones through Red Wizard NPCs.

We could even override the pre-existing SPWIxxx.spl files with the upgraded versions so if you play the Sorcerer, then its' spell selection will be adjusted to the new spells. Some of the spells are exactly the same and some are similar in their function (damaging, defense, conjuring, etc...), while the Wild Magic ones could be swapped with something else provided we add back the Wild Magic to the few .cre files that use those spells.

I can't remember if I mentioned this but I think we should downgrade the Chronomancer and Incantatrix to plain Sorcerer kits like the Wu Jen and Sha'ir. That way we could have those four available for humans and half-elves while the 4 Elven Dualists could be given to elves.
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    Sorry for being a nag, but is the website of the project (I mean this one: http://danpugh.eu5.org/index.html ) being updated?

I'm a bit confused as to what has been added in the two versions you posted recently...
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    @Mordeus sounds awesome!
    Glad to see you didn't forget about the sorcerers :)
    @callimachus I havent updated it yet but will do tonight, the last couple of releases were just various bugfixes rather than new content.
  • EathanuEathanu Member Posts: 4
    Requiem said:

@callimachus I havent updated it yet but will do tonight, the last couple of releases were just various bugfixes rather than new content.

I think it'd also be worth mentioning that you choose the cleric kit outside Winthrop's tavern (or, I assume, the equivalent in BP) somewhere on the site. I thought I installed it wrong when I wasn't getting any kit choices in character creation.

@callimachus updated, although it's not very exciting stuff i'm afraid

@eathanu a very good point, I guess since I know the mod so well I never really considered it. I have added a section on the first page about how to use the mod.
  • callimachuscallimachus Member Posts: 86
    @Requiem I just saw it. Thanks. As ever, you are awesome.
  • EathanuEathanu Member Posts: 4
    I think it gives the information well now. :)

If I may ask, can you tell us some of the specifics of the classes mentioned in the poll? Mostly, I'm interested in any kits that allow non-human unarmed fighters (I think I voted for both pugilist and the cleric-kit monk) and paladins (I assume Crusader handily offers this, but if it can't use non-blunt weapons then that kinda kills that)

As of now I really appreciate the Airwalker of Akadi's ability to combine useful ranged weapons with healing and will be making one for a multi-singleplayer party as soon as a patch fixes that issue with sticky pausing in multiplayer mode.