Skip to content

Charisma Over 18

Is there anywhere in the Baldur's Gate series where having a charisma score over 18 helps (other than store prices)? I usually get the charisma tome and boost my high charisma chars from 18 to 19 but I'm wondering if there is any point.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    Samus said:

I do it for personal satisfaction (Combine with Algernon's cloak my mage has a charisma of 21). As for actual dialogue options I do not know if there any specific ones where 19 is an advantage over 18, which is a real shame...

Yeah, I usually have my main char with nymph cloak and helm of glory. Having those combined with the charisma tome boosts me up to 22 charisma...but like i was asking in my original post, I'm wondering if there is any point to it other than shop prices or your "personal satisfaction".

• IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    So basically, there is no reason from a powergaming perspective to have a CHA score above 3 :)
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    No other than being as ugly as used toilet paper.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited May 2013
    Other than shop prices, it's like @Jalily said - there are some quests that will get you better rewards if you have around 18 charisma.
    the ones that pop in mind at this moment :
    - Fuller in Candlekeep will give you his Dagger+1
    - The Noble man in Candlekeep will put his jewelry into the locked container upstairs if you have charisma 18 (so you can go and plunder it)
    - They guy fleeing from a Mountain Bear in area north of Gnoll Fortress will give you some +cold resist boots
    - SIlke offers 400gold instead of 300 if your charisma is high

...I'm sure there are more. It would be actually quite interesting to create a list. Just because last time I played with my main Assassin, charisma around 15-16, the guy north of GF did not want to give me his boots. So I gave him my dagger. Sharp point first.
    If you don't meta-game a lot and don't know all the good stuff, you might miss some trinkets.
    Post edited by Southpaw on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Perhaps the PCs features should change as charisma goes up or down becoming more beautiful or handsome as they rise and more ugly as they fall -

Wow look at the size of that wart on Charnames nose we better find a tome of leadership soon!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    IkMarc said:

I always used to think CHA was really cool and important when I was a kid... that was until I figured out it isn't.

Golden!

When we become older, we undestand only money matters in this world, not your personality...

I don't like it that way and it's absolutely wrong. ... but what I see in the world today is only a focus on who got the most money. To me, it's a sad state of affairs.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    bengoshi said:

IkMarc said:

I always used to think CHA was really cool and important when I was a kid... that was until I figured out it isn't.

Golden!

When we become older, we undestand only money matters in this world, not your personality...

I don't like it that way and it's absolutely wrong. ... but what I see in the world today is only a focus on who got the most money. To me, it's a sad state of affairs.
    But wouldn't it be worse if only beautiful people got even more money? Faerun's store owners certainly think only pretty folks deserve good prices, where real life ugly people can still hope for the lottery...

Na, seriously, it would be nice if charisma had more effects in game; it's not neccessarily making a character prettier anyway. To me, it's generally "charming" and one doesn't need to have a pretty face to have a silver tongue.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited May 2013
    If I recall correctly, I older D&D editions charisma was clarified as the "personality stat" while comeliness was the "physical attractiveness" stat. Together they affected your reaction adjustment. As the game evolved the two were married into a single stat.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Nic_Mercy said:

If I recall correctly, I older D&D editions charisma was clarified as the "personality stat" while comeliness was the "physical attractiveness" stat. Together they affected your reaction adjustment. As the game evolved the two were married into a single stat.

I was going to say the same thing! It was the original Unearthed Arcana that introduced Comeliness as a separate score from Charisma. Or as I used to call Comeliness in my game, "Charisma until you open your mouth."

I think in the end it was felt to be too cumbersome as a game mechanic. But it does sort of emphasize the point that looks are only one part of the Charisma equation.
    I've played through the first BG several times now and I noticed all those little quest rewards you get (Fuller's dagger, boots of winter, scroll of magic protection) will be given to you simply with a score of 18. So in BG1 at least I know there is no point in CHA over 18 (not sure about an evil party with a low rep, I hate playing evil). I'm just wondering about the entire saga. I've only played through BG2 and ToB 2 or 3 times when I was a wee tyke. I'm beginning to suspect that scores over 18 are in fact pointless.
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206

I've played through the first BG several times now and I noticed all those little quest rewards you get (Fuller's dagger, boots of winter, scroll of magic protection) will be given to you simply with a score of 18. So in BG1 at least I know there is no point in CHA over 18 (not sure about an evil party with a low rep, I hate playing evil). I'm just wondering about the entire saga. I've only played through BG2 and ToB 2 or 3 times when I was a wee tyke. I'm beginning to suspect that scores over 18 are in fact pointless.

Charisma scores of 19 and 20 are still great for shop prices. :)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    edited May 2013
    Am I right in thinking you can only actually hit base 20 Cha in ToB? You get +1 in BG1, obviously, but the other point has to come from either Watcher's Keep or the good route in the Wrath Hell Trial at the end of SoA (which I am including as 'in ToB' because you basically just get it for the final battle).

Of course you can play Watcher's Keep in SoA. I'm just thinking generally that you're basically at the point of ToB by the time you can get it.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    20 Charisma is the maximum useful amount for store discounts...which is usually what I consider the maximum useful amount. Easily attained in BG2 with a Ring of Human influence and something with +2 charisma...plenty of items. Or 14 base charisma and a friends spell, if you can cast arcane magic.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438

The benefit of 19+ CHA has been explained multiple times in this thread already. Are you looking for a specific case where you need greater than 18 CHA, regardless of reputation, in order to get the best outcome?
    TJ_Hooker said:

The benefit of 19+ CHA has been explained multiple times in this thread already. Are you looking for a specific case where you need greater than 18 CHA, regardless of reputation, in order to get the best outcome?
    Well that was the question wasn't it? I apologize if that wasn't clear enough for you. Mostly I wanted to know from a power gaming perspective, if I can give myself 17 charisma vs 18 at character creation then that is an extra point to allocate elsewhere, where it may do more good. Similar to giving your non warrior class 15 constitution vs 16 in anticipation of the tome of bodily health. I already know BG1 doesn't care about charisma over 18 I was just trying to prepare for when BG2EE releases. I will just do some playthroughs of vanilla though (I tried to avoid this so I could maintain excitement for the EE release) Thanks all for the informative feedback though, it is much appreciated.

• BestopherBestopher Member Posts: 28
    If you're looking for a real "dump-stat" look no further than INT. At least everything else in the game has fringe benefits, but in Baldur's Gate INT of 3 is fine for everyone other than wizard. That's the real bottle-neck (Not that I want it messed with much mind you...)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    There are tons of Charisma-reaction based dialogs and rewards and such in Baldur's Gate 1.

As awesome as it is, the same cannot be said for Baldur's Gate II. Even Icewind Dale did a better job at it than BGII, to be honest. Furthermore, IWD interestingly has a lot of different dialogs based on Intelligence and Wisdom. I think there are a few Wisdom-based dialog options in BGII, and there is like, ONE Intelligence-based dialog in BG:EE (ambush where you encounter Dorn).
    Quartz said:

and there is like, ONE Intelligence-based dialog in BG:EE (ambush where you encounter Dorn).

Is that the one, where you guess correctly that he is a Blackguard? (got that with a Cleric, int 17)
    Any others?
    I know the outcome of the Wish spell in BG2 is based on your Wisdom. If you try to cast it with low-average Wisdom, your wishes will fail spectacularly.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The lower your Intelligence, the more wrong answer choices you will see when you get to the riddle cages in Rasaad's questline.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Well, I usually try to get a roll where I can have my lowest stats be atleast 10 to prevent any penalties...

But for charisma, I remember reading somewhere that high charisma also helps prevents NPCs morale failures so they don't go panic or berserk.
    @Jalily
    Jalily said:

The lower your Intelligence, the more wrong answer choices you will see when you get to the riddle cages in Rasaad's questline.

wait... riddle cages? Where in Rasaad's questline is that?
    no riddles up to Gamaz. What cages?

Is that BGEE or BGEE2?
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Southpaw said:

@Jalily

Jalily said:

wait... riddle cages? Where in Rasaad's questline is that?
    no riddles up to Gamaz. What cages?

Is that BGEE or BGEE2?
    In the end of the cave that leads to Gamaz. It's to the left instead of to the opening.