Skip to content

BG1NPC testing application thread

2»

Comments

• orcheonorcheon Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I'm a big fan of the series and of the mod. In fact, before I found this mod I would generally avoid the original game altogether - something just felt like it was missing. I've spent the last decade playing through every RPG I can find, but nothing compares to this game and its sequel.

I'd love to help. I'm familiar with the CLUA console, and English is my first (actually, only) language.
  • MagusMagus Member Posts: 4
    Hi there.
    I'd like to join the test. I messed with CLUA and shadow keeper quite a lot, also used to be tester for some games and "serious" applications as well.
  • Talos59Talos59 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I'm french native working as server/network engineer in an international environment so my english is more than decent.

I have good technical skills but I never moded anything related to BG.

If you are still looking for tester, I'd love to participate =)
  • VaxalonVaxalon Member Posts: 25
    Right, 28 years of gaming experience ehe, does that win me anything?
    I'm no programmer, alas, but I could offer this. Ive played BG over 20 times, if not more. I know what happens, and when, and how its supposed to happen. I ALWAYS complete everything I can, and explore every little bit. I could compile a list of bugs, and collect save games relevant to those bugs, with instructions on repeating the bug.
    Would this help?
  • lastknightleftlastknightleft Member Posts: 12
    I would love to be part of this, but I'm going to pass due to time constraints and just wait till it is done to enjoy it.

Just a few questions though:

Will it just add the dialogue or will it make the changes to proficiency slots that the tutu made (I honestly loved the BG1 NPC project but hated that every fighter was duel wielding)

Will you need to install the game directly to mod or can you do it if you downloaded through the beamdog installer (I couldn't get it to load directly and had to do it through their installer)?
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    I'd like to lend my help to test this, it's by far my favorite mod and I'd be honored to lend assistance.

In addition to having absolutely no life, which is handy for lengthy playtesting, my credentials include participating in many betas of games both single and multiplayer and actually reporting bugs consistently. Furthermore I have experience with modding on this platform, am familiar with how Weidu mods work, and I'm comfortable with tools like Near Infinity, know how to navigate dialog.tlk, etc. So if I find an issue, there are good odds I can pinpoint the cause and suggest a fix in addition to highlighting the problem.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Let me know when you need testers for Mandarin Chinese version of the mod...

A man can still have his dreams, can he not!?
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited March 2013
    I'd love to help out, though I don't know much about testing. However, I am an English major with a 4.0 GPA, so I'm more than qualified to check grammar, spelling, and whatnot.

I know next to nothing about the CLUAconsole, but I'm pretty good with computers and I can learn most programs fairly quickly, so if I were pointed in the direction of a decent tutorial, I'd probably be able to learn it on my own within a day or two.
  • MorvianMorvian Member Posts: 24
    Hey, I'd love to test. Haven't tested any IE stuff, but I've done several MMO betas. In fact, I'm involved in one now. I was pretty good with CLUA back in the day, but it's been ages since I last used it. Shadowkeeper made things so much simpler :P I'm sure I could figure out the console again pretty quickly though.

As far as technical expertise...I'm pretty comfortable with computers. I dabble in programming and prefer to use Arch Linux as my every day OS. I use Windows pretty much exclusively for gaming. So yeah, pretty comfortable messing around with stuff in the console.

I also happen to be a native English speaker. Unlike some other native speakers, I'm actually pretty good at it too ;)
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    i'll test, i've played the old series so i'll be glad to lend a helping hand here
  • RagingOrcRagingOrc Member Posts: 63
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to lend a hand and be involved with the mod if you still need people :)

I'm currently doing my MSc in Computer Science and have recently finished a software engineering module where I project managed and implemented the creation of a game. I've done a fair bit of testing on my own work as well as any group work i've been a part of. That said, I have yet to be involved in a community project, such as this. However, i'm eager to get started and would relish the chance! :)

I mainly code in C and Java but I can understand C++, C# etc if need be.

Regarding BG, I have played the games from release and I have a good knowledge of the CULA CONSOLE and Shadowkeeper. BG is also one of my favourite game series and I would enjoy being part of a mod that aims to improve the experience and story telling!

Regarding English, I'm a native English speaker and a qualified teacher (my old profession). I also have a CELTA in teaching English to foreign adults.

Happy to help whenever :D
  • MenocuMenocu Member Posts: 7
    @Kaeloree
    I would be interested in helping to bring this awesome mod to BG:EE.
    I've got plenty of experience running mods, including BG1NPC, have done some work on translation before, and know how to use modding tools like NI and the basics of WeiDU, etc. Just let me know when you're ready ;)
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    In the (admittedly unlikely at this late date) event you still need testers, I'd like to throw my pointy hat in the ring. While I'm no programer, I'm more than happy to run multiple playthroughs, alter game files, use the console, and otherwise break the game on demand. And I fully admit this is in large part because I'm desperate to get my hands on this mod. That said, I would also genuinely like to help. This is the game that started not just my love of RPGs, but of computer games in general, and if there's anything I can do to improve it, even if it's just helping to test a mod, I'd jump at the chance.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Still need testers, I just need to find the time to put the last bits together. :)
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Than by all means, let me know if I can be of assistance.
  • SkiaSkia Member Posts: 25
    I would also be available for testing if it is needed. I have both BGee and BGT installed and could compare the two.
  • MalanthyusMalanthyus Member Posts: 8
    I'd be happy to help out. I'm a native english speaker, I also speak bad english, poor english, and worse english. I have some modding experience with BG1, though no real programming experience. I guess I qualify as a "Noob" in this? >.>
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    If you're looking for OSX testers, I can be of service. :-)
  • banbhabanbha Member Posts: 1
    im available for testing some info
    OS - win7
    my 1st crpg was baldurs gate the original and ive played 90% of crpg's released since
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    edited May 2013
    If you're still looking for testers, I'd be happy to serve.
    I've got a Beamdog version of BG:EE for OSX, still unmodded (BG1NPC and BG1UB are the ones I really need to play), and I'm a iOS/Android software developer.
    I'm not a native English speaker but I'm fairly experienced with this language; I've been reading books, watching movies and playing games in English at least since the release of the original BG1, which I played over and over again, as well as all the other Infinity games... I spoke fluent CLUAConsolese a few years ago.
    Back in the day (i.e. when I had some free time), I even volunteered as an Italian translator for a couple of mods, among a few other pieces of software.

Edit: I don't know if it was already clear, but I play the English version notwithstanding the release of the (however superb) Italian translation.
    Post edited by alnair on
  • SrenSren Member Posts: 24
    I don't have time to be a beta tester (otherwise I'd definitely volunteer) but is there any way to put in a Viconia romance either as an addon for as a new mod? My male characters would like a 3 game romance too
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    It's possible someone else could do it, but BG1NPC is a complete mod and won't be getting any additions, I can't imagine.
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    I'm game for testing if you're still looking for people. I'm a professional programmer and been playing with mods in BG2 since I first got the game so very long ago. I'm quite comfortable with CLUAConsole and, of course, variable manipulation. I've played BG1NPC quite a bit as part of the BGT mod, and had to recode the installation file for Dynaheir's romance to get it to work at one point.