Skip to content

When are we getting the Linux version?

I am still eagerly awaiting this to happen! :)
alnair

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I think the real question is: "Are we getting the Linux version?"
    alnair
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    One of the devs posted that there will be a linux version, and you'll be able to change your version to it if you so choose. This was some months ago and I don't have a link sorry and they might have changed their mind since then, because I haven't heard anything new since then.
  • jnorjnor Member Posts: 6
    Have been waiting too... got the windows version but cant make it work through wine
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    jnor said:

Have been waiting too... got the windows version but cant make it work through wine

You only have a linux system at your place?
  • LephidilesLephidiles Member Posts: 20
    Well the game runs nicely with wine in mint. However the beamdog client or any other way of downloading the game dosent. so install it on your windows box or use virtual box to install it then copy it to the linux box and wine it from there. Thats how i play it. but looking forward to a standalone linux with a client that works.

The problem with the client as far as i understand is that it uses a lot of framwork / dotnet code witch dosent work under wine no matter how hard you try (some games you can launch and play but they will be bugged or slow and in my mind unplayable)

so i whould settle in the sort run for an upgrade of the beamdog client in plain c++ code without any ms related stuff witch should work nicely in wine
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    A Linux version has not been announced. What was announced was that Overhaul Games got the rights to produce a Linux version. Take what you will from that, I don't think management is prepared to say any more at this point.
    elminster
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    edited May 2013
    I bought the windows version, osx version, and I will buy the Linux version. I might even buy the Android version. I only bought the other version because I am impatient I really want the Linux version.

We need BG on Linux! :D
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179
    edited June 2013

Well the game runs nicely with wine in mint. However the beamdog client or any other way of downloading the game dosent. so install it on your windows box or use virtual box to install it then copy it to the linux box and wine it from there. Thats how i play it. but looking forward to a standalone linux with a client that works.

The problem with the client as far as i understand is that it uses a lot of framwork / dotnet code witch dosent work under wine no matter how hard you try (some games you can launch and play but they will be bugged or slow and in my mind unplayable)

so i whould settle in the sort run for an upgrade of the beamdog client in plain c++ code without any ms related stuff witch should work nicely in wine

Yeah running it in wine on Kubuntu myself. Also had to startup a winxp virtualbox vm just to get it installed as the bgee.exe needs .NET (Maybe it will run with Mono for Windows installed but aargh).

So once installed just running the baldur.exe from the '/Data/00766/' folder works perfectly well.

Game works well, actually even smoother when compared to my Windows 7 installation as the scrolling effect is a lot better (no tearing by default).

Should be a breeze to get this to run natively on Linux given the Android version is out as well. So yeah Beamdog here is another $20.00 in my hand waving at you for a Linux version ;)

EDIT: Spelling
    Pokota