Skip to content

The Yoshimo Factor

XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
We all know the thief Yoshimo, who ends up betraying you to save his own life and dies anyways, no matter which way you look at it. We all love him, and hate him at the same time. He is the ONLY pure class thief in BG2 and we can't keep him...

Well... I think that in BG1 there should be more characters like Yoshimo. I would love it (and maybe hate it) if there was a character or two in the game that if you picked them up, they end up meeting an untimely end indirectly because of you, just like with what happened to Yoshimo! I think those segways make for awesome storytelling.

And I don't mean they just DIE and you let them stay dead, I mean they die as part of the plot :)

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It should be kept in mind that Yoshimo doesn't die purely as a result of evil writing though, but also as a mechanic to make room for Imoen rejoining your party. Still, the whole thing is handled quite nicely. Personally I think it gets even better with the Yoshimo friendship mod where his betrayal is sort of sadly foreshadowed.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    edited August 2012
    Not that big a fan of more people dying. Yoshimo had more impact because it was final. If more party members die like that, then it's 'one of those that die for some reason' and not a tragic, irreversable death.
  • SolyarisSolyaris Member Posts: 24
    Xavioria said:

We all know the thief Yoshimo, who ends up betraying you to save his own life and dies anyways, no matter which way you look at it. We all love him, and hate him at the same time. He is the ONLY pure class thief in BG2 and we can't keep him...

Well... I think that in BG1 there should be more characters like Yoshimo. I would love it (and maybe hate it) if there was a character or two in the game that if you picked them up, they end up meeting an untimely end indirectly because of you, just like with what happened to Yoshimo! I think those segways make for awesome storytelling.

And I don't mean they just DIE and you let them stay dead, I mean they die as part of the plot :)

I really hate to do this, but this is just funny: a segway is a motor vehicle. lawl.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    He means 'segue' I believe.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Xavioria said:

We all know the thief Yoshimo, who ends up betraying you to save his own life and dies anyways, no matter which way you look at it.

Completely off topic, but I think this community is going to have to start fostering a no-spoiler behaviour. Soon, when the game is released, there's going to be people who don't know these kind of things coming here in bigger numbers, and giving away all these plot twists prematurely for them would absolutely suck.

I am hereby declaring a no-spoiler initiative for the BGEE forums! Solidarity with the proles newcomers!

• XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Your right, I didn't even think about that, Scriver and I do apologeize... You're absolutely right, and I think next time I'll be more mindful.

But back to the topic at hand... I don't mean that there should be a BUNCH of NPCs that that happens to. Just like one or two that it can OPTIONALLY happen to where you get a certain bonus of some sort if you let them get killed or whatever (basically following a certain plot element to the point of their irreversable death). When NPCs get more immersion in the game, it kind of adds to the experience in my own opinion
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Tiax. Everyone else can die for all I care. Imoen can be left in Spellhold and I will travel to save Tiax. Boom... he rules.