Skip to content

Are producers ashamed of their past?

2»

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @Mungri -

A simple indie game like Magicka does gameplay perfectly for me compared to most of the 3D RPG abominations. I dont want 3D, I dont want first / third person view, I want nothing but top down locked camera Isometric view in this genre, and no one makes those anymore cos ZOMG everything nowadays has to be in shiny 3D with nauseating levels of light flashes, bloom, terrible character art and animations, and just overall pure garbage.
    This just leaves wondering if you even now what 3D means. Magicka was in 3D, man.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    edited August 2012
    i played nwn as the last game in d&d setting. i liked the HotU part, but what truly bothered me was inventory screens and graphics for items. UI in uni-color, indistinguishable spell icons and clumsy- looking, unrepresentative items in inventory screens made my eyes bleed, until i downloaded some mods to rectify it (to some extent).

i really like the nwn2 graphic style (inventory and spell icons) just like planscape had those. i really appreciate the small details and tastefully done art, portraits icons etc. perhaps this is a professional deformation of mine. :P

edit- oh, and 3d vs 2d is somehow irrelevant to me. IMO 3d has great cinematic potential and 2d has great tactical potential. eyecandy can be great either way and eye candy is not unimportant. but it does seem to me like arguing if book is better if written in first or third person.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    No conspiracy, just advertising policy.
  • Sharp_oneSharp_one Member Posts: 1
    Bioware doesn't have the rights to NWN franchise, Atari has. Mystery solved.
  • AndrewRogueAndrewRogue Member Posts: 72
    As people have stated, it likely comes down from the history of developer/publisher stuff and the murky territory of who owns the rights to what.

That and, well, people always want you to buy the new hotness. That's where their paychecks come from.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    Is this a mod you created or what? The candlekeep day shot is very beautifull.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited August 2012
    @Drugar , I used a Diablo2 expansion code I had from my PC days to download it (for free) onto my mac from the Blizzard website, I thought that was great support! granted, it may be lacking in other areas :(
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    edited August 2012

Is this a mod you created or what? The candlekeep day shot is very beautifull.

I think that's a mod, Friendly Arm Inn definitely didn't look like that.
    edited August 2012
    @Sylvus_Moonbow The guy must have had some patience and real passion for what he did. Would be a real shame if it never sees the daylight for us to enjoy too. The whole colorpalette and all the little details looks so much better to me and has the traditional medieval style I prefer. Do you know any screens with some cliffs in it. Their brown always annoyed me a bit and seemed out of place for such a landscape.

Btw i released a V1.3 already if you didnt know:
    http://social.bioware.com/project/8425/#files

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The only thing I really dislike in those images is that the buildings in Candlekeep have too much stuff growing on them.
    CheesebellyWard
  • sirseorsirseor Member Posts: 19
    I have noticed a lot of hate for NWN 1 & 2. But let us try to avoid being impossible whiners here. I agree that the OC for both felt a little flat. But the Expansions for both were quite good. I have particularly fond memories of "Mask of the Betrayer".
    Anyone else remember Kaelyn the Dove or One of Many?
    Aranneasoldsch00l
  • karpaszkarpasz Member Posts: 74
    Bioware's reason was that the old games didn't have enough red, blue and green in the endings.
    karpasz said:

Bioware's reason was that the old games didn't have enough red, blue and green in the endings.

New Enhanced Edition endings: You must either control the Throne of Bhaal, destroy the Throne of Bhaal, but also Minsc and Boo, or merge with it and turn everyone into a Bhaalspawn somehow ending all murder forever. In each ending, all haste spells and enchantments are erased from existence.
    Looks pretty good for the most part, but it likes like a gardener just went postal with the plants.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305

@Ward no need to call so much work others did as rubbish you know. What you post is rubbish and still remains clueless! I realy wanted to apologize but no way after these insults targeted at random modders. No one guves a f*** about guys like you there;) And before you post something mod related again show me what you have created otherwise you´re not worth to talk to.

I asked for no apology. If you choose take personal insult towards yourself because I don't admire things you haven't even made, then be guest, it's an unfortunate and masochistic way to think. You simply came here only to be increasingly more rude with each post. Yes people work hard to create mods, but the fact is most of what you can get is no good. That's not an insult, that's a fact.

Some of the stuff you get for BG isn't great (especially quest/content mods), but the people who make them are very talented and most of it is good. BG is a particularly hard game to creates mods for and if you're designing areas and quests, that is tough stuff.

I do not have to create any modifications to decide whether something other people have made is any good or not. All I have to do is play the game. It's not about how hard it is to make the mod, if it's no good, why use it? Appreciate the art they create, not the work they put into it.

In the real world people charge by the hour, they charge for their hard time and effort. They don't charge you for the end result, because if the end result is crap then you'd be thinking "I'm not paying for this".
    edited August 2012
    @Sylvus_Moonbrow

I just saw the screenshots above. Now that's a mod worth trying. I need to find out more about that. I agree though on the foliage, too much stuff growing on buildings.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    screenshots indeed look impressive, although i agree about too much flora and maybe too many elements here and there, making it look a bit too rich.

otherwise, most of the stuff looks like a real improvement! can this be negotiated/used somehow in the bg:ee?
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    trinit said:

most of the stuff looks like a real improvement! can this be negotiated/used somehow in the bg:ee?

+1
    These screenshots are beautiful...hopefully Trent and the team can get this stuff added in..

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    edited August 2012
    So that BG mod is rendered in never winter nights? Impressive, but the colors are over saturated and the perspective is scewed.-- so it doesn't look quite right. Good attempt thought. I wonder though, what is the point in recreating the same scenes from bg1? Wouldn't it be better to create new content?
    Post edited by Space_hamster on
  • elysXelysX Member Posts: 21
    i liked NWN
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I don't know about those new screen shots. I have to agree with some people about all the moss/ivy on the buildings. That is way too much moss and/or ivy. Candlekeep looks positively abandoned with all that growing on it. IRL, you wouldn't want that much growing on your stone buildings anyway- it would make them fall down sooner due to all the holes the roots would be making/forcing as they grow.
    Talvrae
    I highly doubt that is rendered in nwn...
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @Sylvus_Moonbow
    Do you have a mod name or URL for us? I've never seen nor heard of that BG1 mod before.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Those images look very IWD2-ish not BG.
  • FavreFavre Member Posts: 33
    Neverwinter nights is bad. When i played this game at it's release day a while back ago i was disapointed. The graphic are no match compared to BG / BG2. I've never been hooked into the game because of the atrocious gameplay. Everything was worse then BG.

I was like : How they ended up releasing a game like this? You have a Demi-god game like BG and then you give the community a horse dump. Every aspects of the game is worse then Baldur's gate. All the details and the beauty was all gone. Neverwinter night was a rubbish 3-D Crap whit semi roleplay.

TO cut it short : I hated it
    @Sylvus_Moonbow

You tease, stop hiding it! :P I found this mod on SHS a long time ago but I forget where. I need to find it.
  • SFischSFisch Member Posts: 59
    @Sylvus_Moonbow I'd be very interested in getting in touch with the creator as well! Such interesting work! I'm surprised this is the first I'm seeing it.