Skip to content

What gender do you play Baldur's Gate EE as?

2»

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    BG was actually the first RPG I ever used a female PC in (thinking about it, it might have been the first game I actually could genuinely choose). It kind of became a habit after that.
    CaptRory
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    In spite of being male (or maybe because I'm male?) I often prefer to play females in the games. Whatever it is Baldur's Gate or something like Pokemon game... I guess that playing female often provides greater esthetic impressions. Also, to hell with weak-female D.I.D stereotype.
    Aristillius
  • francofranco Member Posts: 507
    edited May 2013
    If I'm playing a male, I feel as if I'm participating directly in the encounters/story and trying to impose my will on them as the male hero. If I choose a female Charname the feeling is more as if I'm an observer or a spirit advisor. Admittedly, I like to have that character I'm observing to be attractive.

With a female PC I want to get to admire her ability to get through all sorts of adversity. I particularly like the no-nonsense type of female adventurer. One of the voice sets in BGEE goes well with that type of strong female character and adds to the enjoyment of the game.

Yet, being able to choose either gender broadens the overall experience of the game substantially. It's as if the game is stereophonic instead of mono and has a different feel each time out..

element[Deleted User]
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    my go to character is male but other then him i generaly mix it up.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I've always chosen male because I also am and like to imagine myself as Charname. I've got to play with a female character at least once, now that I read this, I've never done it.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I really mix it up a lot, although I do associate certain classes with genders (not strictly, but a little). I prefer femme paladins and bards, and gender-neutral with rangers/thieves, and bias toward male for fighters (straight). I don't play mages in BG, but would probably lean toward femme there.

Agreed on the voice sets, but it seems too complicated to add more, so I don't bother. The femme ones are a little better than the male, but I'm not overly fond of either.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Giving the choice? Hermaphrodite, floating, tentacle monster!

Otherwise it varies with which class type I play: generally I choose muscular females for melee characters and squishy males for casters. Or something in between.
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Just like with tabletop roleplaying games, I tend to play Baldur's Gate as either gender in about equal amounts. If you can roleplay as an elf or a wizard, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to roleplay as a person of the opposite gender.
  • LiaTabrisLiaTabris Member Posts: 6
    I play most RPGs with a choice as female, but I'm playing through BGEE as male first (mainly so that for my other playthrough as female I can also see the f/f romance they mentioned adding at some point).
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I play both - sometimes in the same game (multi-solo) I don't really have a preference for one or the other - my choice is usually related to the character concept and/or party concept I am looking for.
  • LisaralinLisaralin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 258
    I'm a female and I have played my first games as a female, but now I like to switch between the two, also because I want to try all the romances.
    I played my first BGEE game with a male character.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Mostly Human Male
    But Will Play a Human Female if I am doing Romance playthrough
    With Dorn, Anomen or Rasaad
  • chuukoguchuukogu Member Posts: 40
    Both. This goes for pretty much all games that give you the option. My female chars are usually pragmatic/realist/anarchist/cynical (sometimes bordering on evil) casters or rogues, and male chars are Clint Eastwoodesque "nameless mercenary with a conscience" heavy armor melee type guys.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Both
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Quite frankly, i don't understand women enough to play one. At least I don't understand my wife or my Daughter, so...
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    I always play as male bacause I always choose the gender that I can relate to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    It all depends on what kind of character I have in mind. Roughly, it's 50/50, also for keeping variety.