Skip to content

What gender do you play Baldur's Gate EE as?

Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
Hey,
From my experience people generally has some preference on which gender they like to play as in rpgs.
I for one used to only make male characters(I am a male) but now I more and more play as females and it has now been a reeaally long time since I made a male character.
I think I do this because I find female characters easier to make for some reason and I prefer to listen to a female voice while I play. Another reason may be that I find the female "voice-kits" better than the male ones :p

So, In Baldur's gate what gender do you prefer to play as? Or are you lawful neutral and perfectly mix you gender choices?

Please specify why you think as you do :)!
  1. What gender do you play Baldur's Gate EE as?123 votes
    1. Male
      56.10%
    2. Female
      17.07%
    3. No gender(?), monogendered? No option like this in the game, but maybe someone roleplay that they are a lost Asari from Illium?
        1.63%
    4. Perfectly mix and has no preference about with gender they like to play as.
      25.20%

Comments

• ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    I play as an all female party. I also mix voice packs from BG1, BG2, and Icewind Dale to ensure there is enough voices that I like. I used to play as male when the game first came out... but eventually I switched over to only playing as female characters in all video games.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Generally male, until I get bored with playing a guy all the time.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    It doesn't really doesn't matter to me, I just play whatever strikes me at the time;
    unless I'm playing as myself. Myconids are essentially genderless.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

It doesn't really doesn't matter to me, I just play whatever strikes me at the time;
    unless I'm playing as myself. Myconids are essentially genderless.

They have Myconid kings. Therefore, they should be male.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Party (which I play the most), male.
    Solo, female.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Never liked playing female characters. I occasionally try out one or two in other games, but never before in BG (in any game from the series). I like role playing and it kinda ruins the whole RP experience for me if I'm playing a woman. I especially can't do it if there are female-male romances in the game and no female-female (in ME my femShep romanced Liara and Taylor. I liked Garrus a lot, but I couldn't make my self to make my character express loving feeling toward a dude :/ (I'm not homophobe at all, but I still wouldn't like to hit on a guy myself, even in a game...))

OFF: @ShadowTiger voice packs are fixed now?
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    I always make a male main character, if I make other pcs I will mix and match.
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    I'm female and like playing one as characters. So few games until recent times allowed you do do that.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Depends on what I feel like playing.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I like to switch
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I would PREFER to play as female. But the lack of romances has me playing male 90% of the time.
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279
    I don't care at all about romances( I find them a big waste of time and the dialogues take too much time to trigger), so it doesn't matter what I play. It mostly depends on how I feel my characters, I however have my rules on no female half-orcs...
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Usually male so far, because I prefer the male voice sets in BG:EE.

BG2 had a female voice set which I like, so maybe that'll change.
  • IkMarcIkMarc Member Posts: 552
    Hermaphrodite half-orc
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Even if I play as a girl, they end up looking like Shar Teel.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited May 2013
    I'm male but usually play a female because there seem to be a lot more good female portraits to choose from on the internet.

Edit: Ne'er a female dwarf, though. They're butt-ugly!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Every game that has the option, I attempt to play through at least twice, first as cannon (usually male) then as female.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    You must play as a male Invoker if you're playing as a 'cannon'. ; )
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,150
    I play a lot of both. In fact, funny thing, several times I've created characters that were couples from my PNP days; then I always make the female the Bhaalspawn to avoid triggering the romances in BG2.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    "Gender as an aesthetic choice and will not affect your attributes in any fashion."

Generally I only pick gender based on which has the best portrait for what I'm playing.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Depends on the race and I never play humans.

Elves: Both
    Dwarf: Male
    Gnome: Female
    Halfling: Both
    Half-Orc: Female
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Male...just can't immerse myself into a character if they're female.
  • ShadowTigerShadowTiger Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    @Senash I had to mod the game using instructions on the forum. For the custom sound sets.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I'm a male, and feel comfortable playing as a male. Romances were centered for male protagonists in BG2, too, so I was happy. (Love all 3 romances in BG2) My character in BG:EE is a much more open-minded fellow most of the time, though. (If only Dorn himself is not that scary, he could dig that fang..wink wink, nudge nudge :-D)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited May 2013
    I also tend to gravitate towards female PCs - my first characters in BG, DA:O and ME were all women - but every now and then a male character slips in there (NWN OC, my first DA2 and BG:EE PCs). It's largely to do with what I perceive to be a lack of prominent female protagonists in gaming: I always feel like I don't get to see enough tough, take-charge women PCs, so I usually take any opportunity I get to create one.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'm in the same position as @OneAngryMushroom, being an abberation and all.

If I'm not playing as beholder, mostly male so far. But I finally found a female voiceset I like, so I will probably mix it up a bit now. It's mostly a matter of voicesets; finding good portraits of either gender is easy.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    In any game with a significant role-playing element, male. My family jewels are too important for me to pretend to not have them.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,178
    edited May 2013
    Just for the record, there are nine (!) genders you can play as (only modded of course):

1 MALE
    2 FEMALE
    3 OTHER
    4 NIETHER
    5 BOTH
    6 SUMMONED
    7 ILLUSIONARY
    8 EXTRA
    9 SUMMONED_DEMON

Personally I'm in favor of the "extra" option. Makes you wonder...
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Has anyone try a guy character with female voice and vice versa? I chuckle the first couple times when my character had the death scream.