Skip to content

Which SoA NPC's should also be romanceable?

Comments

• MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Nifft said:

Malicron said:

I'm very concerned at the number of people that want an Imoen romance, and sincerely hope it's because they don't care about roleplaying all that much.

It's not my cup of tea either, but is she really your sister?

The only link between you is a dead god.

I don't know if he'd show up on a paternity test... or, er, a Detect Paternity spell (school Divination, sphere Family, level 3).
    That could be argued for any Bhaalspawn EXCEPT Imoen. You've know each other since childhood, shared the same experiences, you grew up together. Basically, Imoen and CHARNAME were essentially brother and sister before we found out she was also a Bhaalspawn. Even if the saga had ended with BG1 and that was never revealed I'd be a bit squeamish about an Imoen romance.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    But aren't RPGs about deep character interaction? A question of how your character, or you, would react to such a situation.

On the real world there are some crazy couples, some end good and others don't. Just imagine the things that could happen, the decisions to be made. Love is one of the most complex things in this world, if not the most complex, and that involves complex relationships.

What would it be like to have a relationship with Imoen? Does Edwin have something more inside him than his selfish personality?

At least, there should be more romances for female characters! Anomen plus other choices, make it equal for both genders! Make this experience ENHANCED :D
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    How many lovers did you have in your life?

And how many friends?

See, for most people, the second number is way higher than the first. Yet in BG, it's technically zero because you can't befriend anyone. You can't even turn down a romance without being a jerk. Imoen being a relative is at least a different kind of personal relationship. For that reason alone I don't get why people want to romance her.
    MalicronNecdilzorbooinyoureyes
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Either Valygar or Haer'Dalis because the ladies need more romance options.
    booinyoureyes
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    @Necdilzor

I concede that they should add more romance options for female CHARNAMEs. Anomen is a world class a$$hole, and even my good characters have a hard time not throwing him to the wolves at the first possible opportunity. With him as the only option, I wouldn't at all blame a female CHARNAME from choosing a life of celibacy.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    @KidCarnival

Yup, the game doesn't let you have friends. You can only have good reactions with other characters of the same alignment on your party, and that's about it. But this thread is about romances.

It would be nice to have a relationship (be this romantic or not, thus including friendship!) system in the game. I believe that making deeper character interaction like this would make the game even more interesting. I don't know if we shall ever see something like this unless a mod takes care of it :)

@Malicron

Yeah! I don't like him very much and he's kind of a jerk anyway, it's a shame that he was the only option for female Charnames x.x
    Malicron
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Mazzy, just because she's hot.

Also, Haer D'alis.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I'm merely stating my reasons why I think there are enough romances as it is, and there needs to be no addition from the poll options. The male/female balance will be better with the EE NPCs, and this balance would be my only reason to vote for either Haer'Dalis or Valygar.
    Malicron
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    edited June 2013
    Malicron said:

That could be argued for any Bhaalspawn EXCEPT Imoen. You've know each other since childhood, shared the same experiences, you grew up together. Basically, Imoen and CHARNAME were essentially brother and sister before we found out she was also a Bhaalspawn. Even if the saga had ended with BG1 and that was never revealed I'd be a bit squeamish about an Imoen romance.

See I never really understood this way of thinking. Growing and up sharing experiences with somebody =/= you being brother and sister.

I ended up in a serious relationship with my best friend since childhood. We were neighbors from about the time we were 4 or 5, and entered into a relationship when we were 19.

Never once did either of say, "We shouldn't date because you are like a brother/sister to me and it would be weird." It was more along the lines of, "We have known each other for so long and we care about each other so much that we should give being together a shot."

NecdilzorAlexisisinneed
  • CzarnyCzarny Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2013
    @Itstucktwice I dunno. I have this female friend I knew since second year of primary school, and we've remained close for the next 10 years. The thought of having any intimate relationship with her actually makes me gag, despite the fact that she is one of the most beautiful girls I know, and I have evidence to conclude that she feels the exact same way about me. I suppose same scenarios can affect people in different ways - something that's impossible to understand for you is the only way I can react to a stimulus, and vice versa.
    Now, if I found out that one of my past girlfriends shared a parent with me, I'd probably go see a shrink right away, even if said parent was Zeus, or Thor, or Quetzalcoatl. For me personally, incest is very much a "no-no" territory.
    KidCarnivalMalicron
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Malicron said:

Nifft said:

Malicron said:

I'm very concerned at the number of people that want an Imoen romance, and sincerely hope it's because they don't care about roleplaying all that much.

It's not my cup of tea either, but is she really your sister?

The only link between you is a dead god.

I don't know if he'd show up on a paternity test... or, er, a Detect Paternity spell (school Divination, sphere Family, level 3).
    There's another type of person with whom a protagonist can "grow up together", and that's the GIRL NEXT DOOR archetype.

Maybe that's the attraction. Some people like the GIRL NEXT DOOR and/or CHILDHOOD FRIEND type, and Imoen can be seen as a good example of those types.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Imoen actually calls you "little sister/brother" a few times in BG2, so even if Charname doesn't see her as a sibling, she certainly sees them as one.
    Malicron
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Malicron said:

Since there wasn't a "none" option, I went with "other." As I've said before, in another thread, it makes sense that the romance options are limited; being the progeny of an evil, dead god and routinely slaughtering hundreds of people, for a good reason or no, could be considered a bit of a turn-off for most people.

I disagree.

If the potential romancable NPC has an issue with the Bhaalspawn, they probably wouldn't associate with said person in the first place.

JMO

Mazzy for novelty purposes. It'd be good for the short races to get a romance option, and it'd be good to explore the potential with a taller Charname. There's room for serious questions about fetishes versus feelings, and lots of silly jokes besides.

We're all the same height laying down.
    Parasolsyndicate
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    ajwz said:

No love for Jan? ;_;

Jan is still rooting for that gnome girl that left him for a rich, evil guy. No pc deserves to be a rebound relationship.
    Oh so maybe, just maybe Jaheira did not love Khalid that much, based on how she quickly hits on charname, lol. I know game does a good job at reflecting her pain, inner struggle, and confusion, but still..
    Hey, since they are a bad-ass Harper adventuring couple, maybe they did have a rule of sorts. 'If one of us kicks the bucket and is irreversibly dead, the other can bone whoever he/she wishes..after a small period of grief, but not too long.'
  • EmmiEmmi Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2013
    I'd go with Imoen, since she and the PC know each other practically their entire life, she is fun to be around AND they never thought they would be half-brother and sister, so feelings could have easily developed over time. It would give the race to save her even more urgency too.

The incest topic about this is polarizing, I know, but from my POV, it doesn't really qualify as incest since Bhaal didn't even use the same avatar anyway. Different body, practically a different father. The only thing in common really is the divine essence. People seem to have bigger problems with an Imoen romance than with the Sarevok romance, which is kinda baffling. He is a Bhaal-spawn too, after all.

IMO, the Imoen Romance Mod for BG2:SoA is still one of the best mods I've played so far. I just wish the ToB part could be finished and the whole thing ported for BG2:EE.
    nano
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    And I thought I was going to be the only one wanting to select the Mazzy option :P
  • MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    I believe someone was making a fully fleshed out romance mod for Valygar at one time, but I don’t know what happened to it.

I am currently playing the Haer Dalis’ Romance mod and loving it so far! Very well written in depth dialogue and in character as well. At least how I have always seen him.

I have always wished for a fully fleshed out mod for Anomen as well. Love his character and story but so much is unresolved, and his “abrasive” side seems so highlighted that the PC has to unnaturally hold her tongue to romance him. Even just to pick him up into the party. I see him as a wounded soul, but really tender underneath all the posturing. The NPC Flirt Packs mod helps a lot with this but I would like to see him get his own, more complete mod.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I'd like more romances for female characters as well. And yeah, I'd have no problem romancing Minsc. It's his wisdom that's exceptionally low, not his intelligence (which is only a little low- considering human normal is 9-12 and his is 8. His Wisdom is a 6, which indicates action without foresight. i.e. Jumping into things without thinking about it. Yet, his alignment is good (Neutral/Chaotic Good), which means he would never hurt CHARNAME deliberately. And given that I have a friend who is mentally… well, retarded being the old word for it, but who is still in love with her boyfriend and understands what goes on in the marital bed, I feel much less distaste for Minsc having a physical relationship with CHARNAME. It could start out as a whole "Brotherhood of Fighting Men" (so to speak) kind of thing, and then become a more romantic attachment over time. I can see plenty of ways it could work and be both in character and not squicky.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Imoen would be great.

The romance could start in bg1. She is "touched" by irenicus like he did to his concubines. A whole new level of revenge motive for charname. The rescue of her would then be so much more important. Then its finally revealed she is also a child of bhaal and then those problems would have to be talked about and mended.

Great story arc for her and mainchar.

And tbh the fact that bhaal has sired them makes them very little if at all related in any sense of the word.

Just as those you kill are not really considered half brothers in any moral sense at all in the game.

Only sarevok talks like that and that is more of an idea he clings to.

Bhaal isnt a father more like magic.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Imoen calls the PC 'little brother/little sister'. To me, that means Imoen sees CHARNAME as a sibling. CHARNAME could feel differently, but I'd prefer if an opportunity to pursue her existed, Imoen reacted with 'ew, that's creepy' as it seems more in character for someone who is being pursued by someone they consider a sibling.

Haer'Dalis has a fairly decent romance mod, though it is female only- I would have preferred one for both males and females. I find the Edwin romance too much like the author's fanfic Edwin rather then in-game Edwin to really enjoy it, but I understand it's popular. Nalia's romance mod is good, though it needs a ToB part. Sarevok's romance is well-written, though again hits creepy spots for me, as Sarevok like Imoen seems to consider the PC his sister. Valygar has what I would call an almost romance in the mod Romantic Encounters- he shows constant interest, even a crush of sorts on the PC, but is unwilling to follow it due to his issues about not wanting to pass his bloodline down. At the end, there's an opportunity to run off with him anyway, though. So it's like an almost romance. No Bodhi-nap, or Wraith sequence, or flirts, but just as good dialog as any of the already in the game romances. There's also a fairly tragic Yoshimo romance out there, but, you know, it's fairly tragic. As you probably expected.

So who does that leave? Mazzy, but if you look in unfinished dialogs that were never put in game, she plainly tells Valygar that she's not over Patrick yet in Valygar's unfinished romance, so I don't think that would be fair to her- let at least one woman mourn her lost one rather then jumping on the first available Bhaalspawn, Jaheria. Jan also has the same issue, in which he's still clearly in love with his ex. I'd prefer to let them mourn. So that leaves... who? Minsc? He's a great friend, and I'd love to see a more detailed friendship track with him, but I'm not sure he's able to make a firm adult consent for a relationship. Korgan? Well, he seems to have a crush on Mazzy, so a romance mod for female halflings and dwarves (and maybe gnomes) should be possible, though it's sort of a niche romance. And, well, I know there's a Keldorn romance mod in progress, though I personally don't know if I could bring myself to play it even though the writer does great work.

If the EE team was going to write a romance for a companion, I'd say go with Valygar, as Valygar actually already has some cut romance dialog in the game. But I'd rather they do original characters, to be honest. They have more freedom to write them how they will, and almost every romancable BG2 character already has a romance mod out there somewhere for them.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Imoen calls the player "little sister/brother"? I thought she was supposed to be younger than charname?
    meaglothnanojackjackNonnahswriter
    Yeah if anything she would say she is little sister. But i cannot remember her ever saying it.

• Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    @Awong124 hey if George Lucas can get away with it so can other people!!

i put Nalia because her Character arc makes sense for romance, you know the whole being a knight in shining armor / leather / wizard robes and retaking her family home and afterwards going on an adventure to save towns and cities and random passerby's alike? CHARNAME (a good guy at least) is everything she wants herself to be and can take strength from good CHARNAME which could lead to a decent romance. but meh *shrugs* im not overly fussed. there was a poll and i like giving my opinions
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    It an established dfact that imoen is both younger and older than you, because miniature giant space hamsters.

I think if you had to add a romance valyagar would be a good next step, with all his talk about whether or not he wants to continue his cursed bloodline, it would be very interesting. Also, the girls need another romance. Mazy would also be good for shorties. With unlimited resources, it would be great if all unattetched NPC's would had romances, with stricter requirements, like alignment and class. Like valyagar would not romance a wizard, or anomen would not romance a chaotic evil sorcerer gal. (I don't know if there already alignment requirements, there might be).
    Mrpenfold666
    Try kicking Imoen out in BG2. 'All right, no problem here, little sister. You sure you want me to go?' Or, when picking her up again, 'It's good to see you again, little brother. Ha! I rather enjoy calling you that. So, you ready to go? I'd prefer to travel with you, if I could.'

I think she's teasing, by that 'I rather enjoy calling you that' line- she certainly implies she's younger then you in the opening to BG1 at Candlekeep ('I'm not much younger then you, though you sure shot up fast' or something like that). But as they're both orphans, I doubt anyone could prove for sure who's older or younger, so she's just goofing off with it.
    edited December 2013
    (Double post. I apologize.)
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    that made me confused as when playing as an elf because im thinking "given my understanding an elf charname must be at least 80+ years older to be technically the same age physically. if they were the same age im pretty sure an elf would be a toddler XD
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Aramintai said:

Valygar's romance was realized in Dragon Age II with Fenris - same problems with magic users.

That's interesting.

Dave Gaider was working on the content for the Valygar romance with an Attic member post BGII release so there is semi-official WIP, it's just a shame it didn't progress as far as implementation.

Elf charnames are still only 20. But remember no matter what race charname is he is different. Bhaalspawn

So it all makes sense.

My halfling bhaalspawn is 5 feet 200 pounds berserker. ..

Sarevok is huge, abdel etc

An elf bhaalspawn can age faster and become bigger, faster, stronger etc than what is normal for elves.

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I picked Mazzy cause I like her best, but after thinking about it I'm glad she doesn't have a romance. She's just lost her Patrick, give the poor girl some time! The idea of stepping into a dead man's shoes really bothers me. I honestly think romancing Jaheira is weirder than romancing Imoen...

If I could change my vote, I'd go with Nalia. Her quest sets it up nicely and it feels right to me, in a fairy tale kind of way. And I like the character... I know many people can't get over the fact that she has the same class combo as Imoen but she's pretty cool in her own right.