Skip to content

for those that care to wait!

I am one of those big BG fans that is and will ve patiently waiting for the release. HOWEVER, I found a very cool emulator while I want. FPse costs very little about allows you to play playstation games. FF7, 8 and 9 will bide my time well.

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @MystraTheMage - man, you are still here, lurking these shallow waters of the far forgotten end of the BGEE forums. Once Andoid version comes out, the devs should be sending you a free copy just for your dedication and patience.
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    :)
  • solodsolod Member Posts: 58
    edited June 2013
    Like everyone else, I'm eagerly awaiting the release date of BG(if it ever happens) but have found another game that scratches the same itch. Check out Tales of Illyria: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.littlekillerz.ringstrail&hl=en

Its a very story driven rpg with a lot of interesting mechanics (Oregon Trail style travel!). The best part is the huge amount of scripted dialogue and events. There are a lot of options for interaction with party members and NPCs in the game. Its really quite immersive. Highly recommend it if you love Baldur's Gate like I do.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @solod - that actually looks good. i'll give it a try. thanks.
  • Out2lunchOut2lunch Member Posts: 57
    Yes just purchased it and installed, now have to wait to give it a go, my 21 month old is after my pad....

Hum!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited June 2013
    On the same Google Play page I found out the Bard's Tale is remade for Android - and it has the option for a low-res grahic set of 1,8 GB for lower-end tablets (I don't have a Tegra-powered tablet). Wow!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inxile.BardTale
  • MystraTheMageMystraTheMage Member Posts: 71
    I have Bards Tale on my Note 2, don't thing tegra is needed if you buy from makers website. p.s Yes Fpse is awesome, I am on ff 8 at the moment.
  • atomicsnowmanatomicsnowman Member Posts: 31

I have Bards Tale on my Note 2, don't thing tegra is needed if you buy from makers website. p.s Yes Fpse is awesome, I am on ff 8 at the moment.

I've been playing FF Tactics on my Galaxy 10. A friend gave me his copy years ago and my playstation broke about 2 hours into the game. Haven't touched it since. :)

So after my Nexus 7 broke down last week(now have a Nook HD+), and that it is CLEAR that Android is not a high priority for BG:EE and I'll be lucky that the devs make the Nook HD+ available, I've been looking at alternative ways to play some Baldurs Gate. I've found using Splashtop actually works quite well especially on 8.9" screen. I haven't been able to get the original to work since I haven't been able to enable windowed mode but baldur's gate 2 is totally playable with no lag. You have to play around with the resolution a bit to get the screen to fit pretty well on the tablet. I also play with a blue tooth mouse synced with my computer and then tap on the screen during battles. Yes, I can only play at home but I can least sit on my couch or on my bed play, that's where I do most of my gaming on my tablet anyway.

I do love Baldur's gate 2 but I think I'm more excited about Neverwinter Nights 1+2 running perfectly filling the entire screen in windowed mode. If you haven't checked those games out and you're a Baldur's Gate fan, you owe it to yourself to try out NWN 1+2. The original content is kind of lackluster for both games but the fan-made content is absolutely amazing, I know of no other game that has such a huge amount of excellent quality fan made modules. go to nwvault.ign.com. The best part is I can play the NWN2 fan made version of Baldur's Gate on my tablet! Works really well.

Dragon Age: Origins and Shadowrun: Returns for PC (access to all the fan made modules too unlike the google play version) totally works as well filling the entire screen.

I think I have plenty of awesome RPGs to tie me over until BG:EE for Android comes out in three years.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    @solod, it's not a matter of priorities; rather of technical difficulties.
    edited September 2013
    If it is/has been a matter of technical difficulties than they have had technical difficulties for a long time. I don't really know what to think honestly. It's been out on IOS for at least 8 or 9 months right? Bottom line is I don't expect it to come out soon so in the meantime I'm playing via Splashtop on my tablet. The BG:1 version for NWN 2 is actually really fantastic. I like both versions but I'm enjoying the NWN2 version a lot. I recommend it.
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    solod said:

If it is/has been a matter of technical difficulties than they have had technical difficulties for a long time.

Exactly :)
    Soon after starting the development of the Android version, they found out (the hard way) that some of that system's technical quirks (I seem to recall something having to do with the file system) were causing them issues; they are working to get around them since, but it's taking even longer than they thought.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Just to make some things clear there wasn't an Android version originaly planned, it was a late addition. Development only started around october/november last year or roughly one year after the other versions.

During initial development the Devs discovered that the entire file input/output system would have to be rewritten to be able to handle the way Android deals with files and it became obvious that the graphics renderer engine would have to be redone for mobile devices.

Both are complex systems in the game and take time to develop. The fact that Android version may be ready for release in less than an year is actually impressive.
  • jonasnichollsjonasnicholls Member Posts: 7
    maybe on 2020 xD