Skip to content

Firebead's quest - Thethoril will not give the scroll

Comments

• DurothilDurothil Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2013
    Hello, folks!
    Right at the beginning there's a bug which might prevent to complete a quest (as of v1.0.2014). Firebead Elvenhair in Candlekeep Inn asks you to get an identify scroll from Tethtoril in the Inner Grounds. Tethtoril himself won't give it to you though. I was able to steal it from him but for non-thieves or -bards it's impossible to get.
    RangerSG said:

Same here. PC version. Using the new Dragon Disciple kit though cannot imagine that should matter.

It doesn't. I used an elven Fighter/Mage, and then a Half-elven Bard. Both could not complete the quest. It's simply broken.

As a Bard you can steal the identify scroll from Tethtoril (and then complete the quest), though.

EDIT: Posts merged :) - Metalloman -
    Post edited by Durothil on
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    Dear God in Heaven. EE is a Godsend, I thank you all for it, but this is FIFTH bug I've encountered so far. Tethtoril will not acknowledge me or give me the scroll for Firebead.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Blessed is Lathander that you've encountered ONLY five bugs! I've heard of obscure games that contains EVEN five parts of playable game among the bugs horde!!! O,O!!
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    edited May 2013

As a Bard you can steal the identify scroll from Tethtoril (and then complete the quest), though.

EDIT: Posts merged :) - Metalloman -

F the quest! I want to learn Identify!!!

• ambrennanambrennan Member Posts: 173
    edited May 2013
    For the record this can easily be fixed by using SK since you just need a generic identify scroll (for iPad get something like iExplorer, copy saves to PC, edit them and copy them back).

If you don't feel like doing that create a character in Black Pits, buy a identify scroll from the scroll vendor after the very first fight, export the character and re-import into BG main campaign.

Edit to fix errors introduced by autocorrect.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    They still haven't patched this up yet huh?

TTT! The very first quest should not be broken!

• SubzoeySubzoey Member Posts: 19
    Same here. Win 7 64 bit. does it on both my laptop and desktop
  • Merlin84Merlin84 Member Posts: 8
    The identify scroll quest is still broken. After a few minutes of looking in the forum i found the hotfix but it does not make a very good impression if the first quest in the game is bugged...
  • TomtechTomtech Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    I used DLTCEP to change the dialog files.

See updated files below.
    Post edited by Tomtech on
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I guarantee, with 100% confidence, that this bug will be fixed in the next update. Promise.
    Tresset
    I used DLTCEP to change the dialog files.

Unzip and place in your Override folder.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @Tomtech there's already a hotfix that you copy into your override on the first page of this thread.
    edited May 2013
    Nevermind. Can I delete posts?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited May 2013
    @Tomtech If you want to delete posts just point them to a moderator, me or any other user with gray background in their messages, and he'll do it.
    Durothil
    edited May 2013
    "If you want to delete posts just point them to a moderator, me or any other user with gray background in their messages, and he'll do it." - How inconvenient.
    @Durothil It may be... but it also protects the user. If someone makes an abusive post it's easier for us to see the message if it was not deleted. Notice that editing the post won't hide the original text from a moderator so the famous "I didn't do it" won't actually work on us ;)
    edited May 2013
    I understand but I disagree. It goes well with german policies: Don't trust the people and cut freedom in the name of security. *sigh* And I was hoping to escape harsh reality by turning to a fantasy game...
    Post edited by Durothil on
  • ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125

Cerevant said:

I guarantee, with 100% confidence, that this bug will be fixed in the next update. Promise.

That's good, because it's getting old when we keep having to read about players crying over such a small amount of experience for such a small and worthless quest.

It's not about the xp amount, it's about the pride of playing BG and wanting to see it run smoothly and properly. I think you should take your condescending behaviour elsewhere and not get in the way of what people like. Plus, you sound like you are disorganized and like to do things halfway, that is not good for life...
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Durothil said:

I understand but I disagree. It goes well with german policies: Don't trust the people and cut freedom in the name of security. *sigh* And I was hoping to escape harsh reality by turning to a fantasy game...

...are you serious?
    GodKaiserHell
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This is a gentle reminder to everyone that the site does have rules, one of which is to respect others.

More to the point, the fix for this bug will be included in the next patch.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    mlnevese said:

@Durothil It may be... but it also protects the user. If someone makes an abusive post it's easier for us to see the message if it was not deleted. Notice that editing the post won't hide the original text from a moderator so the famous "I didn't do it" won't actually work on us ;)

Actually, it has more to do with protecting people from accidentally deleting their posts by mistake. The buttons are very close to one another between "Edit" and "Delete", and Vanilla's forums don't give us a nag window to confirm the deletion.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited May 2013
    Dee said:

Actually, it has more to do with protecting people from accidentally deleting their posts by mistake. The buttons are very close to one another between "Edit" and "Delete", and Vanilla's forums don't give us a nag window to confirm the deletion.

I get a confirmation window.
    mlnevese
    Now you call it 'protecting', I call it 'patronising'. ;-)
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    I didn't read the entire thread on this, but has anyone tried going on out and finding him in Bergost (sp?) and giving him a scroll you find/buy elsewhere? Would that quest have timed out? Just curious. Working on a character now to get down there to find out. :)
  • StarlilyStarlily Member Posts: 97
    Well, I answered my own query. Made new character and made my way to Firebrand. He won't take the identification scroll I bought at Highhedge. I wasn't able to pickpocket the scroll in Candlekeep. :( Perhaps it has a unique id to it? Oh well, wait for patch so more. :D
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    Current behavior: Firebead will give me a quest to get an identify scroll from Tethtoril (The red guy in Candle Keep at the begining of the game) however Tethtoril no longer mentions the scroll or gives it to you despite how many times you talk to him.
    Expected behavior: He mentions and gives you the scroll upon first talking to him as it has every other time I played the game pre patch (the latest patch - 8).

This bug happens in all of my new games regardless of class or race. Tethtoril does have the scroll on him (if you kill him via CRTL Y you can get it). If you bring any scroll to Firebead while still at Candle Keep either through consul or killing Tethtoril the quest completes. This is in an unmodded single player game.
    @Xiviriel This bug is fixed in the next patch.
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    edited May 2013
    Interestingly both modders changed both Tethtoril's and Firebead's dialog files. When only Tethtoril's needed changing. ;)

*Ahem* - It seems Balquo is an EE developer...in which case, he should have known better. ;)
  • jakaminskijakaminski Member Posts: 100
    Same bug for me, also on a PC.