Skip to content

Exporting to existing character file name does not overwrite

MalbanMalban Member Posts: 25
I've been spending my first few hours rolling stats and pre-generating some characters for my future play throughs. In doing so I created some base character files which I've been overwriting when I get better rolls.

Much to my dismay, saving over an existing character does not overwrite that file. I just lost a roll of 95 it took me quite a long time to get, and I was so excited to start playing!

Example: I created and exported 10SWASH for my Swashbuckler with roll of 90, I later tried to overwrite the 10SWASH file with a roll of 95 which did not work, leaving only my lower roll.

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Shadowkeeper is faster.
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    it would be nice to get an succes info, if the export is finsihed. Everytime i export a character i have to create a new game only to see if the export was succesfull
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Malban said:

I've been spending my first few hours rolling stats and pre-generating some characters for my future play throughs. In doing so I created some base character files which I've been overwriting when I get better rolls.

Much to my dismay, saving over an existing character does not overwrite that file. I just lost a roll of 95 it took me quite a long time to get, and I was so excited to start playing!

Example: I created and exported 10SWASH for my Swashbuckler with roll of 90, I later tried to overwrite the 10SWASH file with a roll of 95 which did not work, leaving only my lower roll.

I know it's annoying, but you have to close the game and re-open it see the last exported version of the char.
  • BestopherBestopher Member Posts: 28
    I'll start off by announcing that I'm playing the ipad version of BGEE, and that I seem to remember this being an issue with the original BG1 as well. Let's say I have an exported character file called "fighter" and I later export a character and go to use that file name (either double clicking it or simply calling it the same name) and selecting done. the game acts like everything is fine, however, it doesn't over write it. Upon trying to import this file later I discover that it's half a game ago and that it never over-wrote.

In the past (BG1 original) I would delete the old char file and recreate it using the same name and everything was fine. Since you cannot access the system files on an ipad (thanks Apple) you cannot delete old characters, and slowly pages of character files build up (I already posted the latter issue).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I noticed this too.
    Reported.
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    I think I might have this issue also, only I'm not finding much help for it.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @GandalfPortraitGuy
    The next patch will fix this. However, I do not know if a temporary fix can be provided.
  • GandalfPortraitGuyGandalfPortraitGuy Member Posts: 206
    Nevermind. Everything's fne.:)
    Aedan said:

The next patch will fix this. However, I do not know if a temporary fix can be provided.

Apparently it broke again. May or may not be in the next patch. :/
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I noticed that too :(
    But in the end it will be fixed and then... Tiax will rule!