Skip to content

As a mark of respect. Pleeeeaaase put the Iron Lady into BG:EE.

2»

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    why margaret thatcher? Why not gandhi, julius casear, or elvis? They are all dead and important historical figures. There is some debate as to whether elvis is dead though.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Purudaya said:

I may not have been a fan of Thatcher, but don't feel bad just because some people don't care for the idea of having her as an NPC. You must have really thought highly of her to look for a way to honor her somehow, even if this might initially seem like an odd venue.

I say embrace the controversy - give her that 19 CHA and charm immunity, but also make her enter berserker rage any time CHARNAME gives gold to a beggar or tries to sleep in a public place.

Thanks Purudaya. It would be a strange way to honour her... Maybe some other greats and worthies should be put in just as @smeagolheart suggested...

Elvis, would have to be the KING of all bards...

Gandhi, a sun soul monk.

Leonardo Da Vinci, a Gnome!

• FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Don't really get this thread. She should be a Ghast (who cannot be turned, obviously) sent by the Iron Throne to eat the bodies of the miners that the kobolds shoot to cover up the evidence. Her battle cry "no, no, no!".
    Thundermungomunkscriver
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

why margaret thatcher? Why not gandhi, julius casear, or elvis? They are all dead and important historical figures. There is some debate as to whether elvis is dead though.

"Elvis ain't dead, he just went home." - Agent K, Men in Black.
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    The only NPC mod I'd play is an Abraham Lincoln Undead(Vampire) Hunter.
    Anduinbooinyoureyes
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    Maggie Thatcher? Seriously? As a working-class born northerner I cannot condone this. So many more inspirational and great British leaders that didn't attack 80% of our great nations population.

On that note Winston Churchill would be a fantastic addition xD
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Still don't get it ... If 80% of the population were against her... How did she get into power?

Midlander... Still peeved with the Labour government that screwed 100% of the nation...

How has this thread been revived?
    edited June 2013
    @Anduin - I'm sure she wouldn't have gotten in to power/remained in power if she declared exactly what she was going to do before elections.
    Post edited by EntropyXII on
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    edited June 2013
    She has been re-elected twice.
    That's just democracy I believe (not that I like her or anything -far from it-, but you saying that she tricked people into voting for her is like calling everybody in UK stupid)

(and also, I don't know the brit system to choose the prime minister, so maybe i'm wrong, but still, she has been a member of the Parliament for more than 30 years, people voted for her, a lot.)
    Anduin
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    She has been re-elected twice.
    That's just democracy I believe (not that I like her or anything -far from it-, but you saying that she tricked people into voting for her is like calling everybody in UK stupid)

(and also, I don't know the brit system to choose the prime minister, so maybe i'm wrong, but still, she has been a member of the Parliament for more than 30 years, people voted for her, a lot.)
    edited June 2013
    @Anduin @Sanctifer - I don't want to go into a political debate, but I can guarantee you the majority of the working class (which makes up the majority of the UK population) did not/do not like Thatcher. I will give you a list of reasons why:

1) Shut down the coal mines (which in turn *destroyed* many towns in the North and in Wales).
    2) Nationalised Utilities (which was owned by the people) were sold off to the rich to make them richer. Our fathers, grandfathers and great grandfathers had been paying for these utilities for years through tax.
    3) Changing laws for Unions which were designed to help the working people, essentially preventing them from doing what they are meant to do.
    4) most council owned housing was sold off to private companies who immediately hiked up the prices of rent for people who could not afford it.
    5) House inflation grew, and house repossession was at it's highest - people ended up homeless.

The Falklands War (which working class people, fought and died in) was a popularity stunt. Once won, Thatchers popularity sky rocketed. Clever move by the conservative leader.

Many people world wide have heard about the Falklands. Many admire her for the way she handled the situation - especially considering she was an advocate for women's rights. What people forget (Unless your from Wales, or the North) is the deep recession to which our country entered and ultimately never fully recovered, thanks to her.

Margaret Thatcher was one of those leaders that, if you were southern, rich and capitalist - you would have loved. If you were Northern, working class and struggling to feed your family whilst fighting a war for the south.... Well there you go.

I have a lot of friends who are southern, and I love London but even they admit the class divide between the North and South is extreme. 'Game of Thrones' which is inspired by the politics of Great Britain is a very good example of this.

I haven't even mentioned the rumoured 'assassinations' by the SAS yet....

Source: *Edit* removed my place of work, but lets say I work in a place in which a large part of what I do is dedicated to the history of the working class and social-class divide.
    Post edited by EntropyXII on
    Actually, scratch everything I just wrote. I really don't want to go into a flame war about past politics. I love Baldur's Gate, you love Baldur's Gate - all we need is love =)

This is a topic that will always divide opinion, so it is best left in the past.
    SanctiferAnduin
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    Anduin said:

How has this thread been revived?

By me being a smart ass... still waiting for that mod of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.
    AnduinscriverEntropyXII
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Why the iron lady? Put Iron Man. :)
    Anduin
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2013
    Since people see fit to dig this up... To the idea of putting celebrities as NPCs into the game...

Dr. Evil put's my response well
    EntropyXII