Skip to content

Linux Version

ComradeGarryComradeGarry Member Posts: 1
edited June 2012 in Feature Requests
I think it would be nice to have a Linux version of the game, Not sure what the code is being written in(Computer Language wise) but it would be nice to have it ported over nativity. Or at the least make it WINE(http://www.winehq.org/) friendly.
Cichy_KrokAinekoCraigethAvishayScottBrooksSolmenirMajoritasaXidaltenacarugaLuneverMinkihnichkannsLinkamusElectricMonkMoninoGrogpathfindingAlgorithmXaviancharmerdarkkhaineGoddardalnair

Comments

• DocGonoDocGono Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, I agree! It would be awesome!
    ComradeGarryScottBrooksMajoritasaXidal
  • ZyduZydu Member Posts: 2
    I would love to see Linux version. There are many ppl using linux, just check humble bundle sales.
    ScottBrooksaXidalComradeGarry
  • aXidalaXidal Member Posts: 61
    I would also love to see a Linux version, and since OpenGL is being used, it should be possible shouldn't it?
  • ZyduZydu Member Posts: 2
    Well since Mac OS is based on unix, and BG will suport it, Linux is possible. Even Valve started to create Steam version for linux, so I hope soon all new game will be Linux compatible. :)
    aXidalComradeGarry
  • ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    edited June 2012
    I suggest checking out http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start

Furthermore, you can install it using WINE without significant problems ;)
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    No promises, because of additional support costs, but we'll be looking into this.
    aXidalComradeGarryalnair
  • ComradeGarryComradeGarry Member Posts: 1
    @Zakeros GemRB is not completely done(it has issues..) and this is the Enhanced Edition so I would doubt it would work with it if it changing any kind of major UI stuff and even WINE has issues at times with games not working on it that should be problem free, Arcanum has majors bugs for me as an example. I would care that they would see us [linux users] as a future gaming platform alternative, we're gamers just everybody else :)
  • William_ImmWilliam_Imm Member Posts: 72
    I support this fully.
    ComradeGarry
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    Maybe a easter egg Tux npc on the (tosc) ice island would be appropriate for this version... :)
  • wbouvywbouvy Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2012
    @PhillipDaigle To expand on @Zakeros's suggestion, perhaps if you contact the GemRB (linux infinity engine clone) developers, you could cooperate on a EE version of GemRB, which would cover both Linux and Android. They'd probably want to keep it open source (though I cannot speak for them), so it would have to depend on your licenses.
    ComradeGarryAvenger_teambg
  • azuritazurit Member Posts: 182
    i would like to have a linux version too
  • SmeuuhSmeuuh Member Posts: 34
    I don't think GemRB is the way to go, they pretty much reimplemented everything. I'm not hoping for a linux version (although, obviously, I'd love that), because I know that's going to take time for the devs. What I would ask is that a dev takes a few hours to run BGEE under wine, and see what problems (if any) arise. Most problems with wine seem to be trivial incompatibilities between wine and the original program, and presumably need only quick fixes, either on the wine or bgee front, maybe with the help of a wine dev. I've played BG2 under wine without problems, so I'm hoping BGEE won't break compatibility. What I'm concerned with is the launcher.
    Elys
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited July 2012
    Well, regardless of expectations, we'll take our shot at simulating BGEE too :) Actually, with ToB almost totally done, this should be easier than PST or IWD2, or even BG1. It is much easier to reimplement an unhardcoded engine having cleaner specification.
    The only thing is, that we will have to make this in a way that won't hurt the business of the original devs, afterall, we want them to complete new games after the re-releases :)
  • nerdynerdy Member Posts: 1
    would love to see a Linux version too, playing BG natively on a Linux box is just awesome :)
  • FalheimFalheim Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2012
    I would love to see BG:EE on Linux officially supported. It will be a dream realized, because there is nothing that can prevent this portage. It was already possible to play the old BG on linux by changing some things, because the game don't required DirectX or anything like that.

It would be great, super for the linux community users who don't have many games. Please, release it on Linux if possible ! Too rare are the game compatible on this OS.
    Xavian
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    I support a linux version being made at some point.
  • nyarnyar Member Posts: 2
    Native client of BG like the native client of NWN will be wonderful on my Debian.
  • MrPopinjayMrPopinjay Member Posts: 1
    I'd certainly buy a copy if it supported Linux :)
  • mattfmattf Member Posts: 2
    I pre ordered, however if a Linux version popped up (hopefully Debian based like Ubuntu) I would purchase it again, just to throw support for a Linux version.
  • FalheimFalheim Member Posts: 8
    So, have you heard something about a Linux release ?
    It would be very nice.
  • XavianXavian Member Posts: 5
    Trent's had a couple tweets on his twitter page about possible progress toward a linux version that shows they're definitely looking into it as a serious option. Obviously, they've designed the game in such a way as to allow it to port to different OSes so that is a strong point in the favor of getting a linux release. Now that the game has been delayed until the end of November, I'm hoping that we'll have an official announcement before the first wave of releases about a linux release.
  • abruelabruel Member Posts: 1
    Of course, they forgot about Linux. I hope they will show a version for Linux as fast as for other platforms, otherwise I think most fans can soon turn from developers. I Never pay for a for Windows version sooner I download warez, of course I do not want to do that I'm waiting for a binary version.
  • AnimewareAnimeware Member Posts: 73
    I agree they should add linux also the Team is working very hard on this as we speak to build this game and I'm sure it will come on Linux very soon

My Guess is they are working on Windows Version First, I PAD, I Phone, Android then it will be imported into linux....
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2012
    They are waiting a legal answer from the IP holders to know whether their contract allows them to make a linux port. It depends on contractual limitations.
    Animeware
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    I don't see why the publishers and IP holders would say "no" to more money, especially now that the leading digital distributor for PC gaming has added Linux support.
    Animeware
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2012
    Neither do I. But I have seen strange and dumb decisions before. At least we know Beamdog is trying.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • XavianXavian Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2012

I don't see why the publishers and IP holders would say "no" to more money, especially now that the leading digital distributor for PC gaming has added Linux support.

I"d like to agree and hopefully this is true, but of course it's only more money if the amount they get from additional sales exceeds the amount they spend porting it to linux, testing it thoroughly for stability issues, and the cost of continuing to support the game technically after release. Keeping in mind that a lot of these same people who want a linux version if denied one would probably stilll buy the game for windows or android, or run emulator or virtual machine. The difference is in the people who would outright refuse to purchase it unless a linux version is made available.

I don't know how significant a difference in revenue that segment represents. Personally, I'm the group that says "I'm so eager for this game I'll go ahead and buy it and run it via wine, but would much rather have a linux version."

They've got my money either way.

But let's hope that there is indeed profit in supporting the game to the linux community.
    mlnevese
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @CameronTofer @PhillipDaigle please consider ChromeOS support while working on Linux version.
  • GoddardGoddard Member Posts: 134
    bump and ChromeOS is Linux so you don't need to consider support btw :D
  • LecneriLecneri Member Posts: 2
    Bump, I'd love to play BGEE on linux. And since I have BGEE on iPad, PC and if you do on Linux I'd install it too, would be nice to sync saves through all my installations