Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited June 2013
    @viader If you can come up with a way to use WeiDU to dynamically patch BGEE.sql with dynamic numbers and the correct strrefs that will work for both TRAified and unTRAified mods, be my guest. ;) It needs to be user friendly and simple so that modders can use it to ensure compatibility with both BG2 and BG2EE.

@Fleshheart I started porting BG1NPC before I was hired, and it's definitely not a part of my job. I'm doing it because many people have asked for it, and not a lot of people have the knowledge to do it, mainly.

@kamuizin If you really, desperately want a percentage, I'd say roughly 95% of the work is done? Apart from rigorous testing and whatever bugfixing needs to happen after that. The journals are a major component, however, and they're a bigger issue than just BG1NPC -- a solution has to be found for all mods.

@Flashheart Yep, @Tome is right. It makes sweeping changes to the BG1 companions. Additionally, there are too many authors and contributors to get permission from, many of whom are no longer contactable. Plus, there are lots of people--myself included--who wouldn't want it incorporated. :)
    DraconisPrime
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Nice, can't the bosses of BG:EE project help in this? Not to make an specific mod but work the source code to give a solution to the community, after all one of the promises of BG:EE was to be mod friendly.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited June 2013
    Unless I completely missed something SCS was NOT integrated into BGEE. The reason I say this is because I am fairly certain the SCS team have released a "Beta" of a BGEE compatible version of the mod.

Beamdog/Overhaul were outright forbidden from altering the "base content" of the game beyond bug fixing. They were only allowed to add "new" content that did not touch existing assets.

It's why we have Rasaad, Neera, and Dorn who are quite a bit more fleshed out than any other BGEE NPC because Overhaul weren't allowed to touch the assets relating to the NPCs other than to fix bugs.

To that end the only fan made "mod" that got included in BGEE was the BG2 fix pack. That was it.

They wanted to include the BG1NPC project and Unfinished Business but The Powers That Be at Atari and WotC forbade them from doing so... for some reason...

At least that is the distinct impression I got from some tweets from Trent Oster.

EDIT:
    Fortunately from what I understand, they will have a LOT more room to manoever with BG2EE and Expanding existing content given BG2's format, and how their contractual obligations are worded.
  • BerconBercon Member Posts: 486
    Nonetheless, it would have been nice to see more mod support from Overhauls side. For example patching Weidu to support the new journal system might have been a nice gesture. Many companies support their modding communities by providing tools so this wouldn't have been anything ground braking. I guess they have been too busy with patching the game and working on BG2:EE to do this.
    kamuizinKavain
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    @Kaeloree I have idea how do it in Weidu - I need few days :)
    DraconisPrime
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Bercon
    The journal thing has much less to do with what WeiDU is and isn't able to do and much more to do with how pre-BGEE mods are organised and structured.
    ^ What Wisp said. :)

@viader Shoot me a PM when you've got something workable and we can run through it!
  • VladVlad Member Posts: 17
    Well, smeagolheart. I was referred to the posts of yours here. First, inability to follow installation instructions normally leads to the problems in game, as you probably know. Also no one asked for your critics. You'd better leave it for yourself. If you have constructive comments, you can always contact me. I'm not making mods for your general consumption. If you are not happy with them, just uninstall and forget about them. No need to spill the dirt on my modding. I could answer to all you comments here, but I prefer to save my time doing something more useful and enjoyable.... By the way, the major areas of TS are my own art compiled from area graphic elements of different games (like the castle from Arcanum), they are not recycled, and I have never seen Trials of the Luremaster. You have no idea how much time I've spent back in 2002 making those areas............
    Keep on topic, please. :)
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    Tome said:

SCS changes AI primarily, which doesn't breach contract.

BG1NPC alters old companions heavily, which unfortunately does breach contract. It sucks, but there's nothing that can be done.

Wait, does this mean that SCS AI will be integrated officially in BGEE ? i'm a little confused here.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    that's probally an argument dude, but i would like to have SCS implemented on the game, if we can manually module the difficult it brings.
  • PalanthisPalanthis Member Posts: 283
    @Kaeloree do you intend to fully convert NPC mod ?

If so, do you plan to rewrite the components that were especially working for the saga as a whole (since BGEE and BG2EE will be separated), like the end of Dynaheir romance who could only be viewed if you had Tutu (if i remember right) ?
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Palanthis said:

Tome said:

SCS changes AI primarily, which doesn't breach contract.

BG1NPC alters old companions heavily, which unfortunately does breach contract. It sucks, but there's nothing that can be done.

Wait, does this mean that SCS AI will be integrated officially in BGEE ? i'm a little confused here.

FAQ # 2 Dee mentioned as below:

We are planning to incorporate elements of SCS at some point; it's just a matter of making sure it works flawlessly. We've been working with David to determine the best way to handle it so that it doesn't needlessly challenge new players, while still offering something more substantial for veterans.
    DraconisPrime
    @Palenthis I think you might be talking about the section in between BG1 and BG2, which is from BGT, not BG1NPC. So no, I won't be converting that, just BG1NPC.
    DraconisPrime
  • viaderviader Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 875
    @Kaeloree I thought that I could help (writing function or macro), but I am too stupid to write new TP2 action, I leave this mission, sorry.
    @viader Thank you for your help so far! You are hardly too stupid; I could definitely not write the functions you did! It's a difficult proposition, and it goes beyond just this mod... hence why it's been waiting until we have the proper time to devote to it. :)
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    Not to be a bother, but any word on progress for BG1 NPC Project?
    @StoneSwords Not as of yet, sorry!
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    There are many Noobers and Neebers out there. :P

I'm working to get my first playthough finished (im a chronic restarter). And when there are many mods ready I will play angain.
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Will the recent news of the patch delay affect the release? I know we had been pretty much waiting on a fix to the journal issues, which i think was supposed to be fixed in the patch.
    @revaar The official patch has nothing to do with the problems we're having with journal entries, so definitely won't affect BG1NPC. :)
    revaar
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Good to hear @kaeloree!
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    @Kaeloree Now that you've been laid off BG duty, I guess you'll have more time to work on this. *eek* ;)
    edited June 2013
    @Flashheart We'll see how it goes. :) I can't promise anything, as there's still a lot going on.
    Notepic4Malicron
  • Notepic4Notepic4 Member Posts: 27
    @Kaeloree Just wanted to thank you for all the work you put into porting the NPC project so far! I have never actually used the mod (I thought it would be in EE, but sadly that is not so) so this will help make the game truly feel more well...enhanced xD
    alnairStoneSwordsKavainScooter
  • FelipeH92FelipeH92 Member Posts: 19
    I couldn't wait so I started a new game just with NPC from mods and the enhanced ones :) but I miss Boo
    :C
    MalicronKavainbooinyoureyes
  • Draith012Draith012 Member Posts: 174
    It's been awhile since we heard anything about this mod. I haven't had the pleasure of playing the NPC project before so I'm very eager to see the changes. Hoping to hear from the OPer on how things are going.
    alnairFlameguard27KavainMalicron
  • guciomirguciomir Member Posts: 13
    Do you know if there is some progress with this mod? :)
This discussion has been closed.