Skip to content

[Mod] Faiths of Faerûn Kitpack v0.5c (Ready for testing)

Comments

• MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    @callimachus The Bard Song's effect is actually just a regular .spl file that is applied to the character and set to be activated via the Bard Song button. So when you select the HLA Bard Song, it is applied to the character and overrides the regular Bard Song. We can create 12 Bard Songs for the Elven Minstrel that when selected through the spell menu will override the current Bard Song. If we make these Bard Song effects available through a spell button, then you can alternate through different Bard Songs.

The upside would be that if you select the "Sleep" Bard Song, instead of it being cast once with one saving throw given to the enemy, it will be constantly cast for as long as the Minstrel sings just like how the confusion effects of the Jester's Song works. So you are getting multiple, unlimited casts of the one spell for free. The downside is that you'd have to switch between Bard Song effects because that is the limits of the Infinity Engine, but if we make the casting time 0 then it wouldn't be such a hassle.

I haven't tried this yet, but theoretically you could make a Bard's Song that emulates a harmful spell effect (but one that is cast over the entire area, from the caster outwards). For example you could make a Bard Song that emulates the blast of a Fireball. So when the Minstrel sings, a fiery blast aura extends outward from the Minstrel and continues to fire after every round or turn. Or you could have the Bard Song summon up the effects of an Ice Storm or any offensive spell that has a nonspecific target. To protect the caster, we could make them immune to the effects of the Bard Song, so the Elven Minstrel could be used as a "bomb" that runs into swarms and detonates through its' singing. Or we could have it instead generate a harmful circular wall around itself that prevents entry or harms those who enter the proximity of the Minstrel, so allies could find sanctuary by sticking close to the Minstrel while it sings.

Or you could make a Bard Song that constantly generates an Insect Swarm or summon a creature like the Water Weirds (the illustration of an Elven Minstrel in the Bard's Handbook has it summoning up waves of water to attack, so this could be a way of brining that to life). So if 6 are summoned but one is killed, a new one is summoned after the next round or turn.

So the Minstrel would be sacrificing choice and variety in their spell selection but would gain unlimited casting of a particular spell (or for as long as they can keep a song going). To me that sounds like it could end up being pretty powerful and offer a different way of using the Bard's Song.

This is a brief rundown of the "songs" of each Bard Kit, just to show where the Minstrel would fit in gameplay wise. The Minstrel would be the only Bard Kit that has a damaging effect to their singing.

Bard Song - Boosts morale and removes fear
    Jester's Song - Confuses and disables enemies
    Skald's Song - Boosts party's abilities for battle
    Blade's Song - Brandishes weapon to lower enemy Morale by 2 and increase ally attack rolls by 1
    Charlatan's Song - Charm's humanoids
    Jongleurs's Song - Allows the Jongleur to "tumble", "juggle" & "dodge" enemy attacks
    Dirgist's Song - Inflicts the hold status upon Undead
    Meistersinger's Song - Charm's surrounding animals, summons 6 animal companions and gives a sanctuary effect to animals
    Geisha's Song - Has a chance to detect invisibility
    Chanter's Song - Instils fear in enemies and the weapon speed of the party increases
    Whistler's Song - Alters the weather into a storm or fog
    Professor's Song - Finds and removes traps, whilst also giving bonuses to non-combat skills
    Minstel's Song - Offensive magic is cast through their instruments and song.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Bard stuff...awesome. Excited, and super anxious for the next release :)
  • SnakesonaskyshipSnakesonaskyship Member Posts: 38
    Hope things are going well!
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Things have slowed down a bit. I know for me at least I've been busy with other things so the spell creation isn't going as fast as it could. And now with the news about BG2:EE being put on hiatus makes it feel even slower. I hope they do sort out the BG2:EE business or we might have to stop at BG1 or downgrade this to work only in vanilla BG2. It probably doesn't change things but it does kinda kill the mood.

I'll get back into the swing of things in the upcoming weekend. It's frustrating how pretty much everything has been thoroughly planned out, that all that is left is the tedious work of creating the files.
  • EcononEconon Member Posts: 9
    I played through the game with this mod and I felt that the Armor Rework is a bit overpowered which is a little disappointing because I like the idea of the Dodge AC Modifier and damage reduction features.
  • RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    @econon thanks for the feedback, in what sense did you think it was overpowered? All of the damage reduction and ac adjustments apply to enemies and players, but further feedback would help to improve things even more.

And for everybody else who is keen to know about the progress of the mod, my sentiments are pretty much the same as Mordeus's, but progress has been made, the spells for alteration, abjuration, divination and illusion are done, and enchantment and invocation are on their way.

It is an extremely time consuming and long winded process, and as mordeus says it is not helped by the recent turn of events. As always though, for those playing the mod any feedback or ideas are welcome, and thanks for the continued interest.
  • EcononEconon Member Posts: 9
    @requiem sorry I haven't elaborated more on my point. The light armors become overpowered compared to heavy armor because of the dodge bonus you get from having a high dexterity, so if you get a party with a naturally high dexterity you will have no problem. By the end of the game my party achieved a AC score of -11,-6,-9,-8,-9 and 3 (he was a mage). I do realize that light armor doesn't reduce as much damage as heavy armor but when I used heavy armor I felt my health just draining away.

I do like how it makes thieves and clerics less helpless, but it also makes warriors that use heavy armor have to be a health sponge (making Kagain pretty helpful if you throw him in a suit of armor). Maybe you should get the dodge bonus even if you're not wearing and just make armor take away from that bonus.

BUT I guess the biggest negative about the armor rework is that I don't feel I could have beaten the game without it.

Still I had a amazing time playing through the game with this mod playing as a Strifeleader so I could use long swords and play as a cleric. I also noticed some spells haven't got the right picture like slow. And it would be nice if recovered projectiles stacked so you don't have spam click for 5 arrows.
  • RequiemRequiem Member Posts: 187
    @econon thanks for the feedback, i will take a look into all of those points above and see if i can hopefully strike a bit of a better balance.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Really looking forward to make a full playthrough with this mod, I am just waiting for all the reworked spells.
    Semi-weekly mandatory progress nag
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    so silent here. ~~~~
  • JaeldynJaeldyn Member Posts: 49
    @mordeus there actually was a BG II mod that made a harmful bard donc if i recall correctly. Et was the conductor bard kit i think. He also made the hidden kits which were basically a kit for jumeled classes. Maybe it could help you for the multiclassed cleric !
    so... what's up? :O
    Still persevering.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    BG:EE is back. Let's keep the modding moving people ... please? :-)
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    I miss the progress in this mod, it sounds so awesome. Please come back.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Yeah, it's one of 3 (well, maybe 4) mods for BGEE that I'm still waiting for.
    Well... here's to keeping this thread far up the list and hoping @Mordeus and @Requiem spots it.
    Allright @Mordeus and @Requiem it seems that @Archaic should resume work on the other mode that I'm looking for the most, so please let us know if You abandon Yours or just laid low until legal stuff sorts out. I would be very dissapointed if this whole mess discourage you to put it off. You've had so much enthusiasm for this, really. And previevs looked thrilling. Raise from the dead guys, pretty please. Make similar pool as @Archaic did if You like and You'll see how much interest of Your mod still lingers ob this forum.
    What's that, thread? You want me to bump you?
    Continuing my quest, even in the face of despair!
    I fear mod authors were discouraged by continuing legal stuff and may have abandon the project:( I haven't seen them lately on forum.
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    I hope they come back. This is such a fantastic mod!
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    Here's hoping they come back, if not now - in time for the release of BG 2: EE
    Still hanging around.
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Look, if they come back, they'll post themselves. Continually bumping the thread has no purpose.
    Au contraire - it shows that people are still interested in their work. If I was modding that would motivate me. Obviously it wont magically bring back inactive authors, but that does not mean it is pointless.
  • starskystarsky Member Posts: 44
    Hey could anyone help me out?

I downloaded FoF and thought I installed it correctly. However when the sprite appears I get a boat load of "MISSING STRING ######"

Kinda messes up everything with my cleric. Forgive me as it is the first attempt I've ever had at modding :S
  • starskystarsky Member Posts: 44
    ^ found the answer on page 5! works great... very excited!!