Skip to content

Why roll a stalker?

Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
I was planning to roll a ranger kit and saw the stalker. And after a bit of reading around the forum and through the kit description I still do not understand the class(kit)?

Why would you roll a stalker(except for the badass spy like name)?

What I am getting at is if you like to backstab as one why not roll an assassin or just plain thief? They have superior multiplier and they also have thief abilities and they can both use the same equipment except the thief/assassin can't use helmets.
If you like the stealth then the thief/assa is also superior because they get to 100% stealth faster and they can also choose to put point into other things aswell? The stalker also has no good innate and the assassin has poison weapon which is crazily good. The class(kit) could be a great scout but then the thief/assa would do the same job as good or even better?

I just do not see any good reason to play stalker except the small thing that was mentioned even if I will probably try it out sometime.

So can you help out here?
I know this is no multiplayer focused game so the power of the class does not hold any great value. But if you do know any good reason to pick up this kit can you share it? I would hate to see by the end of the day as something useless since I want everything to have a purpose...?

Feels like I have made a thread like this before...

Comments

• SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    The stalker is more like a fighter/thief with some spells on the side.

The reason to roll a stalker instead of an assassin is because he has much better APR and Thac0 / damage. He has more health and does better in close combat.

He also has acces to Mage spells: Haste, Protection From Normal Missiles, Minor Spell Deflection

Protection from normal missiles and minor spell deflection aren't that much to cheer about. But getting a free haste is great.

The stalker is kind of a jack of all trade, just more combat focused than the bard.
  • Aron740Aron740 Member Posts: 153
    edited June 2013
    But the stalker will be backstabing right? Why would he/she need points on dual wielding?
    And the helm can be good, maybe if you are supposed to be in the face with your enemies.

Did not know about the spells though! What kind of spells do they get?

Edit: Okay thanks SionIV!
    edited June 2013
    Aron740 said:

But the stalker will be backstabing right? Why would he/she need points on dual wielding?
    And the helm can be good, maybe if you are supposed to be in the face with your enemies.

You're looking at the stalker wrong. He is first and foremost a fighter, he just has the luxuary of having backstab. This means that instead of rushing him into the fight like you do with minsc, keldorn etc. You go into stealth and backstab a target (Preferable a caster) and after the initial backstab you beat heads in with your two swords. That is the difference with an assassin and a stalker, the assassin have no damage outside their backstab while he stalker fights just as well as any fighter.

At level 12 the stalkers gets Haste, Protection From Normal Missiles, Minor Spell Deflection.

[Edited] : He can chunk most casters in one hit. And you have to spend points with your rogue on move silent and hide in shadow, where you might want to put lockpick and disarm trap early game. The stalker gets his skills for free.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Aron740 said:

Unless you are a shadowdancer or have tons of invisibility potions, sooner or later you will have to melee after a backstab. Stalker will be more comfortable while a thief or assasin will have to prefer ranged over melee:a gibberling can do 16 damage to him with a critical hit! (And when 7-8 gibberlings attack, one will get that hit!)

Rangers get priest spells up to lvl 3, but they get them at very high lvls, cast them as a very low lvl cleric, and thus the ability is a more of a novelty than being powerful. It helps, however. Stalkers get some extra spells as priest spells:haste, pro from missiles, etc.

edited June 2013
    lunar said:

Aron740 said:

Unless you are a shadowdancer or have tons of invisibility potions, sooner or later you will have to melee after a backstab. Stalker will be more comfortable while a thief or assasin will have to prefer ranged over melee:a gibberling can do 16 damage to him with a critical hit! (And when 7-8 gibberlings attack, one will get that hit!)

Rangers get priest spells up to lvl 3, but they get them at very high lvls, cast them as a very low lvl cleric, and thus the ability is a more of a novelty than being powerful. It helps, however. Stalkers get some extra spells as priest spells:haste, pro from missiles, etc.

They do get the wonderful DUHM (Draw upon holy might) that lets them boost their dexterity, constitution and strength for free. This is something the fighter lack, unless mentioned fighter is CHARNAME.

[Edited] : They do not get DUHM, I'm thinking about the paladin here. (Thanks to Lunar for correcting me)
    edited June 2013
    So the stalker is really just a F/M/T that levels faster and can cast spells with armour?

Edit: Or F/(weak)M/T and will act just like a F/T?
    edited June 2013
    SionIV said:

lunar said:

Aron740 said:

They do get the wonderful DUHM (Draw upon holy might) that lets them boost their dexterity, constitution and strength for free. This is something the fighter lack, unless mentioned fighter is CHARNAME.
    Yes ofcourse, armor of faith and DUHM are wonderful self buffs for a melee character. Err, do rangers get DUHM, I thought they get druid only spells? ^^ Anyway, their caster lvls will be very low but still, any bonus is better than none.

@Aron740 if you want an exclusively backstabbing character, get shadowdancer. Get elf, 19 dex, stealth boots, and put all points into move silently. Get longsword and single weapon style (elf +1 to hit, increased criticals) and backstab everyone, immediately abuse HiPS (hide in plain sight) ability of the kit, which allows you to hide near enemies, wait a few seconds (so your next round begins) and backstab again. Fighting in the darkness, caves, dungeons, tree shadows, or at night will help your hide skill. Never fight under the sun! If your hide attempt fails after a backstab, run away until you can attempt to hide again.

edited June 2013
    Aron740 said:

So the stalker is really just a F/M/T that levels faster and can cast spells with armour?

The stalker is really a F/T that levels up faster and have a pair of bonus magic spells. The few spells they have are in no way close to as powerful as a F/M/T would have, it's more like a little bonus you get.

You should also take into consideration that they get a racial enemy (+4 to hit) and free points into dual wield.

He is that character that can mold the cracks in your party. If you don't have backstabber (You most probably don't if you're not playing thief yourself) then he can come in and take out pesky targets. If you're low on magic or rather use your 3rd level mage spells on something else he can give your party haste. If you put dragon as your racial enemy he will be the one in the front dealing the most damage to Firekraag.

The stalker is much more party friendly than the other ranger kits, and your fighters. He sacrifices his armor for a few nice feats that you might find very useful.

[Edited] : You also get Shadow Dragon armor very early, which is on the same level as a full plate. So the armor restriction won't be a problem for you.
    lunar said:

SionIV said:

lunar said:

Aron740 said:

Yes ofcourse, armor of faith and DUHM are wonderful self buffs for a melee character. Err, do rangers get DUHM, I thought they get druid only spells? ^^ Anyway, their caster lvls will be very low but still, any bonus is better than none.

@Aron740 if you want an exclusively backstabbing character, get shadowdancer. Get elf, 19 dex, stealth boots, and put all points into move silently. Get longsword and single weapon style (elf +1 to hit, increased criticals) and backstab everyone, immediately abuse HiPS (hide in plain sight) ability of the kit, which allows you to hide near enemies, wait a few seconds (so your next round begins) and backstab again. Fighting in the darkness, caves, dungeons, tree shadows, or at night will help your hide skill. Never fight under the sun! If your hide attempt fails after a backstab, run away until you can attempt to hide again.

No they don't, i'm playing way too much paladin nowadays. They do not get DUHM.

Thank you for correcting me there :)
    Aron740 said:

Edit: Or F/(weak)M/T and will act just like a F/T?

Stalker's mage ability is next to non existent, he can haste the party at most, and its duration will be very short. Minor spell deflection can have some uses, but then again it will last too short. A f/m/t can get wonderful mage spells like mirror image, improved invisibility, stoneskin, mislead etc.

Stalker will act like a f/t who has no other thief skills except hide and a weak backstab, but who has other nifty abilities like a handful weak ranger spells, favoured enemy bonus, free two weapon fighting slots, faster lvl ups thanks to being single class, etc. Still, a f/t can don full plate mail and enter melee if it is sorely needed. A stalker can not wear heavy armor at all. Oh also, a stalker can not drop his reputation very low or will be fallen and lose his special abilities.

Feels weird that the stalker is considered a "good" class. From the description he does not really sound like someone who would trip all over Montarons nerves.

Also, Why would he not get DUHM? Is it not one of those dream powers that everyone get? I remember my sorcerer got it before I reloaded and killed some pesky farmer just to get a free horror spell instead.

Also will DUHM(if you actually do get it which I think you will) scale with your level or is it static?
    edited June 2013
    Aron740 said:

Feels weird that the stalker is considered a "good" class. From the description he does not really sound like someone who would trip all over Montarons nerves.

Also, Why would he not get DUHM? Is it not one of those dream powers that everyone get? I remember my sorcerer got it before I reloaded and killed some pesky farmer just to get a free horror spell instead.

Also will DUHM(if you actually do get it which I think you will) scale with your level or is it static?

He does everything the ranger does, just get some neat ablities extra and barely suffer anything for it. I would actually say that a stalker is a better ranger, the armor really isn't a problem at all (In BG2).

DUHM is a cleric level 2 spell. Normally only clerics and paladins have acces to this spell. You as a bhaalspawn can also get this wonderful spell, but it comes from your bhaalspawn abilities.

As we're talking about a stalker in itself and not CHARNAME stalker, the stalker does not get DUHM.

I think the thing here is more likely that rangers aren't that good in Baldur's gate 2. The stalker is the best ranger kit around (IMO) and also better than the normal ranger. So instead of saying the stalker is bad, it's probably the ranger that could have used some improvements.

DUHM scales with your level. At level 3 you get +1 and at level 12 you get + 4.
    Sad thing since they sounded rather interesting, but thanks to you both for clearing this up for me!
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Here's what I wrote in another thread before:

A Thief dual-classed to a Fighter will probably be better than a Stalker:
    - Fighter gets the same THAC0 progression as Stalker.
    - Once you've dualled to a Fighter you would actually level up faster than the Stalker. You'd actually catch up and surpass the Stalker by Fighter level 12. And a T->F will reach Fighter level 39 while a Stalker can only reach level 34.
    - If you dual a Thief at level 9 you'll get the same 4x multiplier as a Stalker, but much earlier (610,000XP required for T->F vs. 2,700,000XP for Stalker).
    - A Thief at level 9 will have more than enough thieving points to get over 100 in both HIS and MS.
    - A T->F would be able to get Grandmastery. You wouldn't get the two free points in Two Weapon Style, but I think a Fighter gets more than enough proficiency points to put them in whatever they want anyway.
    - No need to be good.
    - If using stealth isn't advantageous in a fight, you can switch to heavy armor.

Advantages of a Stalker over T->F:
    - Maybe more HP. But the gap will decrease later on because the Fighter can gain 5 additional levels. Though the gap will be bigger if you play with max HP rolls.
    - Ranger spells.
    - Not necessary to be Human.
    Aron740 said:

Sad thing since they sounded rather interesting, but thanks to you both for clearing this up for me!

Just want to say that they are a good class. They might not be the powerhouse that a sorceror or C/R are, bu they can still become very good.

There really is nothing that makes them any worse than a fighter, paladin or barbarian. So if you wanted to play a character that was good in close combat, it's more about RP reason and taste than about how good they are.

A stalker with FoA in main hand and Belm / kundane in of hand will destroy just about anything that they throw at you. So it's more to personal taste than anything else.
    edited June 2013
    Aron740 said:

I think you mean 'good' as alignment? Good does not have to be nice or fair. Paladins are lawful good, they will never prefer to fight unfair, they will never act upon wrath or vengeance, they will show mercy amd benevolence, etc. A chaotic good ranger can sneak into an evil slaver's camp and slit the throat of an enemy mage leader and retreat back before anyone notices. Without the leader, the enemies may surrender and be sent to authorities and slaves will be saved. In this scenario, a paladin may enter the camp, shout a challenge to call the enemy leader to face him in one on one combat to avoid needless blood shed. (And will get greeted by a rain of arrows from other bandits and a fireball or two from the mage leader)

If the mage leader accepts the challenge (Why should he? Maybe he is Lawful evil, and wants to demonstrate his power and evil rule to his underlings? Or the leader is chaotic evil and just has a sudden urge to display his power and utterly crush the bold knight with his magic? A neutral evil leader may not have a reason to do so, and may just order his soldiers to shoot him, with a smirk) a fight breaks out. Imagine the mage loses and begs for forgiveness in the battle, the paladin will have to accept his surrender and spare his life. A chaotic good stalker, whose friends have been blasted and killed by the mage's spells before, remembers the blackened bodies of so many good men, charred by the infernal fire magicks of the wicked mage, may think he is lying and is just too dangerous to let live, or his dead friends will never know peace until avenged, and kill him anyway. A neutral good character in this dilemma may make the mage unable to cast spells before accepting his surrender. (Crush and break his hand bones, or slit his tongue, etc)

Stalkers are not afraid to get their hands dirty, all for the greater good. Sneaking and backstabbing may not be a noble thing to do, but they use it on evil, to prevent innocents from getting hurt. The stalker in our scenario is willing to risk his own safety and life for the weak and oppressed, hence he is of good alignment. A neutral bounty hunter may do the same, but if only there will be an ample reward and compensation for his efforts. Evil mage is the leader sitting in his tent and whipping the slaves for obedience..or fun. Old Montaron may sneak in to ask if the lesder would like to have an expert torturer right hand halfling? :-p

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Aron740 said:

I was planning to roll a ranger kit and saw the stalker. And after a bit of reading around the forum and through the kit description I still do not understand the class(kit)?

Why would you roll a stalker(except for the badass spy like name)?

What I am getting at is if you like to backstab as one why not roll an assassin or just plain thief? They have superior multiplier and they also have thief abilities and they can both use the same equipment except the thief/assassin can't use helmets.
    If you like the stealth then the thief/assa is also superior because they get to 100% stealth faster and they can also choose to put point into other things aswell? The stalker also has no good innate and the assassin has poison weapon which is crazily good. The class(kit) could be a great scout but then the thief/assa would do the same job as good or even better?

Sorry, I thought you wanted a RP answer.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    If for no other reason, there is always backstabbing with 18/00 Strength.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Kaltzor said:

If for no other reason, there is always backstabbing with 18/00 Strength.

Strength mods don't multiply in backstabs so its not that big a deal though the AB bonus really helps to make sure you land it.

Specialisation multiplies though so is worth as much or more depending on level.
    I was thinking of SK'ing a multi stalker/cleric in an SCS run. Not legit but the armour penalty is a drawback anyway and will make a nice play style.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    You play Stalker because you want to be badass like Valygar.
    So they are kind of like swashbucklers with backstab and priest spells? Ah well doesn't matter :P

Okay, but then how are you/I supposed to play this class? And how should I progress with weapons? When I play as fighters I normally pick points in mace or long sword(I want the epic one from hells trials later), Would katana be a good choice?
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    If you're thinking long-term, wouldn't a Shadowdancer dualed to a fighter at level 9 generally outdo both the stalker and F>T? I mention it because I'm thinking of doing a SD>F run once BG2:EE comes out as I can't think of a better fighter/thief combination. Once you've got the katana specializations, two-weapon fighting, and the extra APR, I imagine it would just be a near-endless flurry of 3x backstabs.
    Aron740 said:

So they are kind of like swashbucklers with backstab and priest spells? Ah well doesn't matter :P

Okay, but then how are you/I supposed to play this class? And how should I progress with weapons? When I play as fighters I normally pick points in mace or long sword(I want the epic one from hells trials later), Would katana be a good choice?

You can only backstab with thief weapons, so mace proficiency can be redundant. Go longswords and scimitar or shortsword specialisation at lvl 1. Daggers are cool too, poisonous dagger is worth it. In Bg2 get katana for Celestial fury goodness.

You can't get Blackrazor sword with a stalker, if you turn evil in Hell trials you will be fallen AFAIK

Purudaya said:

If you're thinking long-term, wouldn't a Shadowdancer dualed to a fighter at level 9 generally outdo both the stalker and F>T? I mention it because I'm thinking of doing a SD>F run once BG2:EE comes out as I can't think of a better fighter/thief combination. Once you've got the katana specializations, two-weapon fighting, and the extra APR, I imagine it would just be a near-endless flurry of 3x backstabs.

High APR and HIPS don't seem compatible though, once the first backstab lands the rest of the attacks are as normal I think unless doing some particularly cheesy things.

Stalker goes up to x4 backstab and F/T to x5. I'm not convinced that playing a shadowdancer will be fun unless solo or with an AI script that automatically hides and backstabs as often as possible. Otherwise so much pausing and positioning to get the most out of it.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited June 2013
    I started a multiplayer game with a friend a couple of weeks ago, the first multiplayer game of Baldur's gate that I've had in over a decade. It was at least an hour trying to figure out how to get it to work, we finally enter the game.. and have both rolled stalkers!!

It wasn't planned, but we both love walking in the outdoors and spending time in the woods. Rolling a stalker is an RP way of playing out an extended fantasy of that. You have more incentive to hide than a regular ranger, which plays well with how I imagine rangers moving about.

As for thieves, I wouldn't think they have as many skills to hone in the great outdoors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    One thing to consider is that there are quite a few backstab immune foes, particularly in ToB, so it's not a good idea to be completly dependant on backstabs.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    AS much as I dislike them, stalkers are pretty good at what they do if you want simplicity with your backstabbing. They're a single class, that levels up faster then a F/T multi would, have no point of downtime like a dual-would, basically have no penalty, and have one hell of a HELLO!? attack.

Getting Blackrazor is pointless, as it results in you immediately falling and losing all your kit abilities, including the backstab mod...making you a plain ranger with an armor penalty. Sure, very few enemies past that point can be backstabbed...but it just seems like an odd thing to do for a such a weak weapon......relative to other options you could have by that point.

I generally forget their spells exist because they get druid spells only up to 3rd level...aka...not worth the slots aside from AoF. The extra mage spells are a joke and aren't worth considering....by the time you actually get them, only the spell turning one is kind of useful...but not really since if you're playing right you'll be chunking mage first, and multi-mage battles are actually pretty rare.

The Beastmaster gets better spell casting....getting higher level druid summons that you normally wouldn't get...yes please....spell sponges are WAY better then any of the other spells any other rangers get.

Also, note...Paladin/Ranger spell casting is bugged. It casts AT level, instead the level it's supposed to (lvl 1 at 8 for rangers, lvl 1 at 9 for paladins, capping at 9 levels of bonus at 17/18 respectively), instead scaling all the way up to lvl 20, just like any other caster does. Meaning R/P AoF reaches the full 25% DR (instead of 10%), and the paladin's DUHM reaches +6 str/agl/con (instead of +3)
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254

AS much as I dislike them, stalkers are pretty good at what they do if you want simplicity with your backstabbing. They're a single class, that levels up faster then a F/T multi would, have no point of downtime like a dual-would, basically have no penalty, and have one hell of a HELLO!? attack.

Getting Blackrazor is pointless, as it results in you immediately falling and losing all your kit abilities, including the backstab mod...making you a plain ranger with an armor penalty. Sure, very few enemies past that point can be backstabbed...but it just seems like an odd thing to do for a such a weak weapon......relative to other options you could have by that point.

I generally forget their spells exist because they get druid spells only up to 3rd level...aka...not worth the slots aside from AoF. The extra mage spells are a joke and aren't worth considering....by the time you actually get them, only the spell turning one is kind of useful...but not really since if you're playing right you'll be chunking mage first, and multi-mage battles are actually pretty rare.

The Beastmaster gets better spell casting....getting higher level druid summons that you normally wouldn't get...yes please....spell sponges are WAY better then any of the other spells any other rangers get.

Also, note...Paladin/Ranger spell casting is bugged. It casts AT level, instead the level it's supposed to (lvl 1 at 8 for rangers, lvl 1 at 9 for paladins, capping at 9 levels of bonus at 17/18 respectively), instead scaling all the way up to lvl 20, just like any other caster does. Meaning R/P AoF reaches the full 25% DR (instead of 10%), and the paladin's DUHM reaches +6 str/agl/con (instead of +3)

That's odd. I actually adjusted the .2da files in my game to make Paladins get spells from 4th+, and up to 5th level spells, and yet even then it's not using their class level as the caster level (at 10th level my Paladin's spell strength is at CL 2).